Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

Should I buy this?

bearklaw19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bearklaw19

This is my first forum post so please dont hate on me too much.

I have recently bought an xbox about 3 months ago and I have been decided wether to pick this game up or not, im not really into the horror genre like Dead Space, those games look pretty cool and I would really like to play them but honestly I get too freaked out and end up just watching Lets plays on youtube, so that is my biggest question, am I gonna be jump scared?. I like the whole Light gameplay mechanic and it seems like a really cool game.

I can give you an example of games I play so you can maybe compare: Hitman, Call of Duty, Left for dead, L.A Noire, Read Dead, Ghost Recon, Bulletstorm, Dishonored, Assassins Creed. I dont know if those games put me into the Hardcore gamer list or not but I wanna try this out, so what do you think of it?, any feedback would be nice, and sorry for making it so long.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

You definitely should. My only downside is that once it's over, you probably won't really want to play through it again unless you're big on collectibles. 

Also I wouldn't say it's scary, but it does have an eerie atmosphere and very rarely (for me at least) enemies will startle you. As the box states it's a Psychological  Action Thriller, so it's quite suspenseful. 

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

It's not really a horror game, it's more spooky and atmospheric. I really liked, and while the combat isn't the greatest it's still enjoyable. And if you like collectibles this game has em, seriously though it's a pretty good game and you can probably get cheap now.

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By ki11tank

i got a free copy recently that's sitting around, played it on release and was bored quickly so got rid of it. someone "sell it" for us. all i can remember is that it is slow paced with limited shooting.

amathos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By amathos

You definietly need too play this game. It has a fantastic atmosphere, and a story that`s pretty interesting all the way until the end. I completed Alan Wake 3 times and S ranked it, so my opinion might be a little bias :P

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By breadfan

Alan Wake is the shit. Give it a go. You won't be disappointed.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rafaelfc

I think you should buy it. One of my favorite games this generation, it has many issues but what it does right is really great.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By DarthOrange

It is my favorite 360 game. It is more of a thriller then a horror game. There are shadow hillbillies that are kinda creepy at first but by the end of the game you see them so much that it ceases to be scary. It can be tense but I don't remember any real jump scares, mostly because right before you get hit the camera will go into slow-motion ala Pac-Man Championship Edition so that you have the chance to dodge. The story is one of the best in video games. The game is really more similar to Heavy Rain then anything else. Maybe check out the quick look (they don't spoil any story bits and the game play is very early on). If it doesn't look too scary to you then you should be fine with the rest of the game. 

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By DharmaBum

Yes, it's a very special game. The shooting is solid, but the combat gets stretched a bit too thin with so few enemy types. Story and atmosphere make up for it though. I'd also recommend watching Twin Peaks beforehand for further appreciation.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Yep fantastic game and story.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By cornbredx

I did not find Alan Wake to be all that scary. Intense sometimes, but not really scary. 
    You should be fine.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Kerned

It's very well made, the story is good and it's fun to play. I have a hard time thinking of anything bad to say about Alan Wake. This has been said a million times, but it feels very much like a Stephen King book, in the best possible way. Just buy it. Based on the games you said you like, I can't imagine you wouldn't like it.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By stryker1121

@bearklaw19: Definitely play it. Great atmosphere and some really pretty visuals. Combat is fun as hell, if slightly samey after a time.

I wish the writing was a bit better, but the story is ambitious and "reads" very much like Stephen King...just not great Stephen King.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By InternetDotCom

Yes and also buy some Energizer batteries while you are there.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By xyzygy

One of the 360's best games, hands down, plus it's beautiful. It's just different on every level. Don't get too excited about American Nightmare, the spin off game. Worst backtracking I've ever experienced in a game.

It's not supposed to be scary at all. When you see people saying they weren't scared, that's because... it's not. It's a psychological thriller.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.