Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

So I finished Alan Wake on the PC and made something!

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

Edited By armaan8014

(Reposted as blog)

So I'd been waiting an ETERNITY for this game. Ever since trailers started coming out I was very interested. And then they went ahead and cancelled it for the PC, and that's all I have! And then I spent the coming months searching "Alan Wake PC" on google quite regularly, only to come up with disappointing fake images and rumors.

But finally, it was announced for the PC and I got it! And I wasn't disappointed. I loved the game. Although some of the sections were a bit too stretched and the gameplay wasn't my favorite part (although it was quite enjoyable from time to time), the highlight was the story and the atmosphere, which was what had got me excited about the game in the first place.

SO, after completing the game, I made a music video for it (as I usually do) made up of all the cutscenes and gameplay i'd recorded.

The song I used, infact, has been written and created by me and my friend, and it's called "Marrying the Tide". Our band is named "Retarded Compound".

I chose my own song as the lyrics seemed to be matching the theme of the game beautifully! So anyway, here's the video. Oh, and the vocals aren't the best :P But the music's pretty alright imo

Here you go!

Video description:

A music video tribute to the Remedy game "Alan Wake (PC). I used a song from my own band (Retarded Compound) for the video as the lyrics seem to match the theme of light and darkness, hope and struggle, very well!

Enjoy and comment!

I do not own Remedy or Alan Wake, this is just a music tribute. The song is by my band (Retarded Compound)

Follow Retarded Compound on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Retarded-Compound/140781369310207

===LYRICS===

You kept a dream within

and left your heart unlocked

like a child you wore it on your sleeve

and all that they said you would believe

Standing by the cliff

you were pushed before you could even leap

they gave you back your heart in pieces

and stole your will to dream

[CHORUS]

I know its hard but you must believe

Coz there's a way out of this darkness

You must keep moving on for me

Behind a bend may be the light you seek

You closed your eyes to another life

you dreamt of what you wished to see

but now that youve been woken up

you no longer wish to breathe

Into the sea you dint follow

you've drifted along but you cannot dream

yes, you stayed away from sorrow

but happy you cannot dare to be

[CHORUS]

Theres nothing to which you can hold on

what you have today tomorrow will be gone

valleys are made by hills, sorrow through delight

love what you have and everything will be alright

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By armaan8014

(Reposted as blog)

So I'd been waiting an ETERNITY for this game. Ever since trailers started coming out I was very interested. And then they went ahead and cancelled it for the PC, and that's all I have! And then I spent the coming months searching "Alan Wake PC" on google quite regularly, only to come up with disappointing fake images and rumors.

But finally, it was announced for the PC and I got it! And I wasn't disappointed. I loved the game. Although some of the sections were a bit too stretched and the gameplay wasn't my favorite part (although it was quite enjoyable from time to time), the highlight was the story and the atmosphere, which was what had got me excited about the game in the first place.

SO, after completing the game, I made a music video for it (as I usually do) made up of all the cutscenes and gameplay i'd recorded.

The song I used, infact, has been written and created by me and my friend, and it's called "Marrying the Tide". Our band is named "Retarded Compound".

I chose my own song as the lyrics seemed to be matching the theme of the game beautifully! So anyway, here's the video. Oh, and the vocals aren't the best :P But the music's pretty alright imo

Here you go!

Video description:

A music video tribute to the Remedy game "Alan Wake (PC). I used a song from my own band (Retarded Compound) for the video as the lyrics seem to match the theme of light and darkness, hope and struggle, very well!

Enjoy and comment!

I do not own Remedy or Alan Wake, this is just a music tribute. The song is by my band (Retarded Compound)

Follow Retarded Compound on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Retarded-Compound/140781369310207

===LYRICS===

You kept a dream within

and left your heart unlocked

like a child you wore it on your sleeve

and all that they said you would believe

Standing by the cliff

you were pushed before you could even leap

they gave you back your heart in pieces

and stole your will to dream

[CHORUS]

You closed your eyes to another life

you dreamt of what you wished to see

but now that youve been woken up

you no longer wish to breathe

Into the sea you dint follow

you've drifted along but you cannot dream

yes, you stayed away from sorrow

but happy you cannot dare to be

[CHORUS]

Theres nothing to which you can hold on

what you have today tomorrow will be gone

valleys are made by hills, sorrow through delight

love what you have and everything will be alright

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

Such a beautiful voice... if you enjoy the sound of cats dying in a fire, that is.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

I'm not going to lie: the vocals really aren't great. I think it's awesome that you made this, though! Nice work.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By armaan8014

@JJWeatherman: I know :D we really need to pay more attention to that :P

@BraveToaster said:

Such a beautiful voice... if you enjoy the sound of cats dying in a fire, that is.

That's a little harsh, no? :P

TopCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By TopCat88

@JJWeatherman: I know :D we really need to pay more attention to that :P

Being in a band myself, I know that good vocals are the hardest thing to come by and can make or break the sound. It doesn't matter how good the instrumental work is, a bad vocal is hard to 'get past' when listening. If afraid that this is the case here, but its not as bad as the aforementioned cat inferno. Keep it up!

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Klei

Oh god. This is kind of awesome.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By armaan8014

@TopCat88: Thank you! Yeah I guess we could always re - record the vocal part before we think of making it more.. public.

@Klei said:

Oh god. This is kind of awesome.

Really? :D

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By twigger89

The vocals are horrible man. It sounds like someone recorded a song around a bad American Idol attempt. No offense or anything but it is completely distracting to the overall effect. Your vocalist should either take voice lessons or stick with background singing.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Klei

@twigger89 said:

The vocals are horrible man. It sounds like someone recorded a song around a bad American Idol attempt. No offense or anything but it is completely distracting to the overall effect. Your vocalist should either take voice lessons or stick with background singing.

That's cold, brother. You need to see the subtlety of the art presented to you.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By BraveToaster

@armaan8014 said:

@BraveToaster said:

No. Seriously, the vocals weren't good at all, and in some parts you were slightly off-tempo with the instrumentals.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By shiftymagician

@BraveToaster said:

@armaan8014 said:

@BraveToaster said:

No. Seriously, the vocals weren't good at all, and in some parts you were slightly off-tempo with the instrumentals.

It's at about the 3:00 mark where I can actually hear a cat dying there.

I'd suggest re-working it and figuring out how to approach the vocals where they feel more in-tune with the music. Also if possible figure a way to mix the vocals in with the rest of your music without it sounding like you are singing over an instrumental version of a song. That's my amateur constructive advice for you dude.

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By twigger89

@Klei said:

@twigger89 said:

That's cold, brother. You need to see the subtlety of the art presented to you.

There are thousands, if not tens of thousands of amateur bands with their music on sites like youtube, bandcamp, myspace, etc. I am assuming that this guy wants his bad to at least be in the top half of those bands, and would like to use us to do so (otherwise he wouldn't have shown us the video. I could white lie, but I figure it's more useful to the dude to give him constructive criticism. And the vocals there were really bad. It's hard to enjoy a song when the vocals are distracting you in such a negative manner. Just because something is considered art doesn't mean one cannot make a objective rational judgement about it's quality.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By armaan8014

@twigger89: Not offended :P I accepted in the beginning itself that the vocals are pretty bad.

@ShiftyMagician: Thanks man :)

@twigger89 said:

There are thousands, if not tens of thousands of amateur bands with their music on sites like youtube, bandcamp, myspace, etc. I am assuming that this guy wants his bad to at least be in the top half of those bands, and would like to use us to do so (otherwise he wouldn't have shown us the video. I could white lie, but I figure it's more useful to the dude to give him constructive criticism. And the vocals there were really bad. It's hard to enjoy a song when the vocals are distracting you in such a negative manner. Just because something is considered art doesn't mean one cannot make a objective rational judgement about it's quality.

Actually I posted the video not to necessarily show the song but to share the complete video as well :P And there wouldn't be a need to lie, i know the vocals are pretty bad :D Did you enjoy the vid otherwise? :)

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By TheHumanDove

The vocals made me think this was a joke thread. Sometimes the truth is a necessary, cruel evil

Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Willza92

The vocals are kind of bad and it doesn't help that it isn't mixed properly either. Your vox stand out against the music when it should all be blending into one another. Try remixing it or rerecording the vocals. You guys obviously can't sing well so why are you even trying? Play to your strengths and maybe rethink your style if you can't find a half way decent singer (and they are a dime a dozen). Also, I guess you should ask yourself if this actually sounds like a tribute to the atmosphere and story of Alan Wake? I think the music could be expanded upon.

Also, your band name is grotesque. No, it's not funny or ironic or edgy. It's offensive and I am sure you are smart enough to realise this and think of a better, more creative band name.

Sorry for the bitchiness, I commend anyone who actually produces something, even if it's crap. It's far better to go to your grave knowing you did SOMETHING than it is to go knowing you critiqued anything and everything. Well done, listen to all this advice and best of luck to you next time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.