Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

So, I got screwed by Gamestop.

• 83 results
    Sponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Sponge

I bought the game "new" from Gamestop, or so I thought.... The code to download the dlc was absent from the package and it had clearly been used before. Now Gamestop is refusing to accept the trade-in because of the fact that I opened it. They totally screwed me out of my money, and I really loved the game a bunch, so if any Giantbomb user has an extra Alan Wake DLC code lying around, I would really appreciate a PM with the code! Thanks a bunch everyone and have a better holiday season than Gamestop apparently thinks I should have. 

I leave this thread alone for a few hours and come back to see 45 replies. Thanks to everyone who has chimed in, so allow me to clarify my situation exactly. 

1. This was a shrink-wrapped "new" copy of Alan Wake. 
    2. Upon opening the package once I got home it was quite clear that the game was used. (The disk was slightly scratched and the manual was crinkled.) 
    3. I know not to buy from Gamestop, I was just using up a giftcard that was about to expire. 
    4. I'm not just saying "OY GIMME FREE DLC!" I'm just asking that, if someone didn't like the game and has an extra card floating around, I've got my hand held high with some hope of actually playing the DLC, as I thoroughly enjoyed my run through of Alan Wake. 
    5. Though the suggestions of "nut-up and argue your way to victory" are fun, they aren't exactly likely as my attempts to talk with the managers have, thus-far, been less than fruitful.  

Thanks again to everyone that replied, and I'll be sure to let everyone know how this fight against a massive conglomerate over a 3 cent piece of cardboard goes.    

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By CptBedlam

Selling used games as new is not uncommon for Gamestop.

Don't buy at Gamestop. Every single one of their customers gets screwed in some way, even if it's just the ridiculous price for a game.

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By 02sfraser

Sorry to hear that man. That is pretty awful! I would argue my point to no end. You can't sell something that has something missing from the box.

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HubrisRanger

Hmmm.

You know, I don't doubt that your situation was as tragic as you lay it out to be. But for the punchline to be, "So who wants to give me free DLC?" makes it a bit harder to empathize.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By zombie2011
    @CptBedlam said:
    " Don't buy at Gamestop. Every single one of their customers gets screwed in some way. "
    I buy my games there and i have never had a problem, It's obviously OP's fault he knew the game had been opened but he still bought the game.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By nintendoeats

Gamestop sucks, avoid asking for free stuff on the internet, you can happily pretend that the DLC does not exist because the ending is perfectly good on its own.

Boom, thread closed.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Burns098356GX

Actually I think that DLC code was only a limited time thing, to try to boost launch time sales. Perhaps you should have done research.

Plus you can always tell if the game has been opened. Honestly how do you not notice the shrink wrap is missing? You've bought a used copy, its your fault.

I've been buying games and consoles from GameStop for awhile now and never had any problem. I really think the biggest problem is that a big portion of their customer base is just plain dumb.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CptBedlam
    @zombie2011 said:
    " @CptBedlam said:
    " Don't buy at Gamestop. Every single one of their customers gets screwed in some way. "
    I buy my games there and i have never had a problem, It's obviously OP's fault he knew the game had been opened but he still bought the game. "
    They overprice all of their items. New, used... it's always more expensive at Gamestop. 

I only go there once a year or so to trade in old games when they offer a new game in return for two old ones. And I always laugh at their prices.
    imad81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By imad81
    @HubrisRanger said:
    " Hmmm.  You know, I don't doubt that your situation was as tragic as you lay it out to be. But for the punchline to be, "So who wants to give me free DLC?" makes it a bit harder to empathize. "
    my thoughts exactly..
    LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LiquidS

lol

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CptBedlam
    @Burns098356GX said:
    " Actually I think that DLC code was only a limited time thing, to try to boost launch time sales.  Plus you can always tell if the game has been opened. Honestly how do you not notice the shrink wrap is missing? You've bought a used copy, its your fault. "
    1. No every new copy of AW has a code for the first DLC. Not time-limited.

2. Gamestop takes all the discs out and only puts empty cases on their shelves - even with new games. So no, there is no way to tell if a copy has been slightly used or not because they ALL get opened at Gamestop.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By EpicSteve

Call the district manager with your issue. As an ex-employee I can confirm you'll get whatever you want that way.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @CptBedlam: Weird because I've bought about 6 games from them this year, all of them shrink wrapped, sealed, with all contents in the package. All at the same price I could have got them anywhere else.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CptBedlam
    @Burns098356GX said:

" @CptBedlam: Weird because I've bought about 6 games from them this year, all of them shrink wrapped, sealed, with all contents in the package. All at the same price I could have got them anywhere else. "

Indeed weird. Regional differences maybe.

Well, they have a few games behind the counter - usually the new releases - that are still wrapped. But everything the customers themselves can grab in the store is just empty cases. Also the games that are advertised as new.

And as for the prices: Around here all the Gamestops are usually 10€s more expensive when it comes to new games.  The used-game price are an even bigger joke.
    Ozzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Ozzer

Is it possible that you missed somewhere on the package where it said it was used? If not, and you used a credit card to buy the game at the "new" price, then I would dispute the charge and try to have it canceled. You should call Gamestop first to let them know, because maybe they'll back out and give you the proper game and also because the credit card companies want you to do everything possible on your end before canceling it. If the product they gave you was not the one they charged you for, then you're under no obligation to pay for it!

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Well actually the Alan Wake free DLC code was a limited time offer. It was to last through the end of June I believe. 

Go and look it up. S'why I bought it before I June.

dulmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dulmonkey

This happened to me with Dragon Age. I went in and talked to the manager. He apologized and upgraded me to the CE as a way of saying sorry.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By mesoian

I've had a few issues with gamestop recently. 

I bought my niece a PS2 to replace her broken one about 2 months ago. When she got it home she found out that there was no power cord in it. She took it to her local gamestop and they told her it would have to be brought back to the place where it was originally purchased to get the cord, which is just silly. What if she lived across the country? I also got her a copy of Rachet and Clank: UYA and she found when she got home, the box was empty. The clerks never put it in the box. 

It just reinforced the fact that I really have no need to buy from gamestop anymore.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never had any of these issues everyone else seems to have with Gamestop, guess it depends on where you live.

mushyhands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mushyhands

Learn how to be a man and don't take bullshit like this without a fight. Take it up with the manager, complain, make noise, or you aren't going to get anything but screwed again in the future.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AlexW00d
    @CptBedlam: The cases on display are solely for display purposes, they will then change it for a shrink wrapped version from behind the desk. Are you sure you just didn't buy a second hand version?
    matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By matpaget
    @Sponge:  Dude, don't just let them screw you over!
    Call the main offices!
    I don't let anyone screw me over
    I bought a refurbished Wii from Gamestop and when I hooked it up it looked like an old timey movie. It looked like it had a bunch of debris on the screen except it didn't look good.
    I took it back to Gamestop and asked them to give me my money back. They said that they would only give me store credit. I said "You sell me a broken product and you think I'd want store credit? I never want to shop here again!"
    They still didn't give me my money back. 
    It's not their faults they couldn't give me my money back (although THEY should've made sure the "refurbished" console actually worked properly). They're told by "top men" that they can't give money back...

So I called their head offices. I yelled at some guy who was higher up at how displeased I was with their products and service and he mailed a cheque to EB Games with my name on it. I haven't shopped there for anything since and I never will again.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By haggis
    @AlexW00d said:
    " @CptBedlam: The cases on display are solely for display purposes, they will then change it for a shrink wrapped version from behind the desk. Are you sure you just didn't buy a second hand version? "
    I once was offered a non-shrink wrapped copy as new in GameStop and asked for one that was. They complied after I made a stink about it. GameStop employees do occasionally try to pass off used copies as new. The solution is that if they try to pull this on you, ask for one that is shrink wrapped. If they tell you no, don't buy it. I doubt that GameStop, as a matter of policy, unwraps every copy of a game that comes in. If you're not paying attention, it's relatively easy to not notice that the game has been opened. You have to make a point of checking. If the game has been opened, it's not new and you shouldn't have to pay full price for it.
    jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jmfinamore

Yea, I really don't like how they don't have shrink wrapped copies, and beyond that, put stickers on all their game cases. But beyond that, I've never really had a problem with their service.  

For the DLC code, either ask them if they have extras (as you are entitled to one, and they can't deny you it). Or if they don't, just call the company and you should be able to get one pretty easily. Same thing happened with my BC2 limited edition code (but in that case they were honest and said they really didn't have any leftover).

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Julmust

Just go to a general electronics store like Best Buy, instead of that shithole Gamestop. They're pure evil.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By gamb1t
    @Sponge said:
    " I bought the game "new" from Gamestop, or so I thought.... The code to download the dlc was absent from the package and it had clearly been used before. Now Gamestop is refusing to accept the trade-in because of the fact that I opened it. They totally screwed me out of my money, and I really loved the game a bunch, so if any Giantbomb user has an extra Alan Wake DLC code lying around, I would really appreciate a PM with the code! Thanks a bunch everyone and have a better holiday season than Gamestop apparently thinks I should have. "
    dont take shit from no one. id be heated as a motherfucker and id get them to give me a new game and some fucken extra shit for maken me mad. it happens all the time.
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By huntad

I've never had a problem with stuff missing, but I do hate how they open the new games. It makes the whole situation at home a little less exciting. 

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By buft

My buddy had the same problem with the Forza ultimate edition, no Top gear codes in the box and he ended up stuck with it even though that was the only thing in the box he actually wanted, I hate how the employees can take the games home at Gamestop.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30  Edited By Geno

Still having trouble figuring out why people still buy games at Gamestop instead of Amazon or eBay which have lower prices and better service. 

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By scarace360

Moral of the story here is dont buy anything at gamestop.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By swoxx
    @CptBedlam said:
    " @Burns098356GX said:

" @CptBedlam: Weird because I've bought about 6 games from them this year, all of them shrink wrapped, sealed, with all contents in the package. All at the same price I could have got them anywhere else. "

Indeed weird. Regional differences maybe.  Well, they have a few games behind the counter - usually the new releases - that are still wrapped. But everything the customers themselves can grab in the store is just empty cases. Also the games that are advertised as new.   And as for the prices: Around here all the Gamestops are usually 10€s more expensive when it comes to new games.  The used-game price are an even bigger joke. "
    This is how it is in Sweden as well. When i pickup a pre-order I always get a wrapped copy but as you say, other ones are just empty cases
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33  Edited By Cincaid

I love how everyone are bashing GameStop, ignoring the fact that:

A) We have no way to know that the OP is telling the truth (sorry OP, but asking for someone else's code is...weird).
    B) The code didn't work for some at all, and you had to contact Microsoft to get a new one. Exactly what happened to me.

But I won't derail the thread with logic, please continue your good fight against evil videogame stores.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DoctorWelch

Yeah as a general rule, if you're buying a new game you never buy it at gamestop because fuck that place.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mesklinite
    @Sponge:
    Make a complaint with the better business bureau. The manager will be much more receptive.
    atombrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By atombrain

If it was a Used game in a new box then it would have already of been opened, so I don't get why they couldn't take it back for it being opened. I'm a pc gamer and I got screwed out of an entire game because the cd key was blank on the manual and they don't take pc games back opened. I had to call the company but the process was such a hassle to get resolved that it was just easier to "find another way of getting a cd key".

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By ch13696
    @CptBedlam: Gamestop only does that with their last copy. Also, their pricing is way better compared to Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, and any other retail store. I understand it's cheaper on Amazon, but that's for people that don't care about waiting on shipping. 

Other than that, Gamestop always helped me out. Hell, even my last experience was pretty damn good. I was looking for Golden Sun The Lost Age. The guy at my local Gamestop says the closest one that has the game is 50 miles away. He also told me that he can have them ship the game to their store. The dude was pretty helpful and got me what I wanted. So yeah, not all Gamestops are fucked up.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

If my gamestop only sold open games, I wouldn't buy from there.  But if I ever did, I would have the brains to open the box to make sure the disk was new and that the dlc card was there.

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

#39  Edited By Chocobodude3

sometimes the code in on the receipt 

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By stinky
    @AlexW00d said:
    " @CptBedlam: The cases on display are solely for display purposes, they will then change it for a shrink wrapped version from behind the desk. Are you sure you just didn't buy a second hand version? "
    yeah. any new copy you get is shrink wrapped. only used copies are opened awaiting them to put a disc in. 
    i guess the moral of the story is not to go into gamestop while under the influence or otherwise in a daze.
    Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By ShadowKnight508
    @Burns098356GX said:
    " Actually I think that DLC code was only a limited time thing, to try to boost launch time sales. Perhaps you should have done research. Plus you can always tell if the game has been opened. Honestly how do you not notice the shrink wrap is missing? You've bought a used copy, its your fault.  I've been buying games and consoles from GameStop for awhile now and never had any problem. I really think the biggest problem is that a big portion of their customer base is just plain dumb. "
    This...apart from one trade in issue, I have never had a issue with Gamestop. My cousin, however, keeps getting screwed by Gamestop on XB360 games, so I really don't know what to say.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ninjakiller
    Fuck Gamestop, buy your games from amazon like a true gaming warrior.  I've gotten money for just about every new game I buy off of there.  
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By Jeust

I think it might be cheaper in terms of time and disposition to buy the DLC at 400 points.  

Also the DLC is nothing mindblowing. In truth you are losing nothing for not playing it. The story goes nowhere. 

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AlexW00d
    @ninjakiller: Is that just a US thing?
    DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DeShawn2ks

I usually don't buy "new games" from Gamestop unless it is the day it is coming. It is hard for me to believe the game is new when you went into your lil drawer behind the counter and pulled the "new game" from a sleeve and place it into my games box. If these games are new what are they not doing in the games box with stickers around the edges and wrapped in plastic?

Sponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Sponge

I leave this thread alone for a few hours and come back to see 45 replies. Thanks to everyone who has chimed in, so allow me to clarify my situation exactly. 

1. This was a shrink-wrapped "new" copy of Alan Wake. 
    2. Upon opening the package once I got home it was quite clear that the game was used. (The disk was slightly scratched and the manual was crinkled.) 
    3. I know not to buy from Gamestop, I was just using up a giftcard that was about to expire. 
    4. I'm not just saying "OY GIMME FREE DLC!" I'm just asking that, if someone didn't like the game and has an extra card floating around, I've got my hand held high with some hope of actually playing the DLC, as I thoroughly enjoyed my run through of Alan Wake. 
    5. Though the suggestions of "nut-up and argue your way to victory" are fun, they aren't exactly likely as my attempts to talk with the managers have, thus-far, been less than fruitful.  

Thanks again to everyone that replied, and I'll be sure to let everyone know how this fight against a massive conglomerate over a 3 cent piece of cardboard goes.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By CptBedlam
    @stinky said:
    " @AlexW00d said:
    yeah. any new copy you get is shrink wrapped. only used copies are opened awaiting them to put a disc in. i guess the moral of the story is not to go into gamestop while under the influence or otherwise in a daze. "
    As stated by me and other in this thread: you're wrong. Gamestop opens new games and sells them as new.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @CptBedlam:  No. I've bought a bunch of games NEW, none had been opened. You might be right on that regional thing, but I can't see them doing that in certain regions and not others. Whats the point?

I could see them removing the disc from the case for USED copies, so they don't have to keep 50 of the same old game on the shelf. Im still under the impression that the OP bought something used by mistake.
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AlexW00d
    @CptBedlam: Just as many people, if not more, have said the same as me. Gamestop don't do it. Shit employees of Gamestop may do though, but you get shit employees everywhere, so blaming the company/chain as a whole is pathetic.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @Sponge said:
    " 1. This was a shrink-wrapped "new" copy of Alan Wake. 2. Upon opening the package once I got home it was quite clear that the game was used. (The disk was slightly scratched and the manual was crinkled.)
    Im confused. How is it that the game had the wrapping on it, but when you opened it, it was scratched and manual crinkled?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.