So this game is based on that one Gears of War level ?

#1 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

You know that level in the darkness with all the crazy razor sharp bats ?  

• You use the bright light of gas cans (after u blow em up) and street pillars to stay alive.  
  • You use a projector lamp to help your friend cross the dark street and turn on the lights at the other end 
  • You use a powerful projector mounted ontop of your "gears mobile" (lol) to burn away the darkness bats when they attack 

Yeah, too bad Gears of War had that level, otherwise Alan Wake would actually feel quite original :( 
Anybody thought of that ? 

Edit: This isnt a hate thread, im not butt hurt because i dont own a X360. I love Microsoft more than i like Sony, I embrace all platforms, and my blue name means nothing more than the fact that i have a PS3. 
This thread is neutral and only pointing out something important.
#2 Posted by Shirogane (3560 posts) -

I'd completely forgotten about that part in Gears. Was playing through with my cousin, we died a few times, it was pretty hilarious.  

Also, you seem to have a lot of beef with Alan Wake lately.

#3 Posted by Rhaknar (5940 posts) -
@Shirogane said:
"

I'd completely forgotten about that part in Gears. Was playing through with my cousin, we died a few times, it was pretty hilarious.  

"
I'm sure its just a coincidence that he has a blue name and Wake is a 360 exclusive... or I hope it is, otherwise my faith in humanity goes down another notch
#4 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

@Rhaknar said:

" @Shirogane said:
"

"
I'm sure its just a coincidence that he has a blue name and Wake is a 360 exclusive... or I hope it is, otherwise my faith in humanity goes down another notch "

Not true! i frickin' adore Remedy and i'd be very happy if i get to play Alan Wake one day (dont have a X360). The AW x RDR poll was just a poll, and this thread isnt a AW hate thread, im just pointing out something i noticed..      
I'm no fanboy, I'm no system hater, i love and embrace them all. My blue name is just to celebrate my newly-bought PS3, it's gonna change to neutral soon (I'm mainly PC)
#5 Posted by Shirogane (3560 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic: @Rhaknar:
Yeah, i thought it had something to do with not having a 360 and being unable to play it. Poor guy. Hopefully they'll bring it around to other systems eventually.
#6 Posted by ZeroCast (1870 posts) -

And since when did you become a PS3 Fan?

#7 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Shirogane said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic: @Rhaknar: Yeah, i thought it had something to do with not having a 360 and being unable to play it. Poor guy. Hopefully they'll bring it around to other systems eventually. "
If i did have a X360 and i did buy Alan Wake and enjoy it, I'd still make this exact same thread because it's about the similarity between this game's essence and that one Gears of War level. ok ?
#8 Edited by The_A_Drain (3910 posts) -

Alan Wake was in development for 2 years before Gears of War was even released, and the concept had been floating around even longer than that. While the story may have changed a lot in the huge development cycle, the idea of fighting enemies with light has remained ever since the game was first announced. 

Besides, if people are really that fucking intent on discovering when something was first used, try the film Pitch Black. And i'm sure, numerous other films and stories before that.  

Dude, c'mon, you're not that stupid.

#9 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@The_A_Drain said:
" Alan Wake was in development for 2 years before Gears of War was even released, and the concept had been floating around even longer than that. While the story may have changed a lot in the huge development cycle, the idea of fighting enemies with light has remained ever since the game was first announced.  Besides, if people are really that fucking intent on discovering when something was first used, try the film Pitch Black. And i'm sure, numerous other films and stories before that.  Dude, c'mon, you're not that stupid. "
Where did i say that Gears of War invented that concept ? 

All i'm saying is: as far as latest-gen games go, I wouldnt enjoy Alan Wake as much as i'd like to (if/when i play it) Because its too much like something i experienced not long ago in Gears of War.
#10 Edited by Jeust (10334 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @The_A_Drain said:

" Alan Wake was in development for 2 years before Gears of War was even released, and the concept had been floating around even longer than that. While the story may have changed a lot in the huge development cycle, the idea of fighting enemies with light has remained ever since the game was first announced.  Besides, if people are really that fucking intent on discovering when something was first used, try the film Pitch Black. And i'm sure, numerous other films and stories before that.  Dude, c'mon, you're not that stupid. "

Where did i say that Gears of War invented that concept ?  All i'm saying is: as far as latest-gen games go, I wouldnt enjoy Alan Wake as much as i'd like to (if/when i play it) Because its too much like something i experienced not long ago in Gears of War. "
It's nothing like Gears of War, can have a bit of gameplay resemblances, but all games have them... don't you think that playing RDR you will remember GTA4? The gameplay is not much different...
#11 Posted by Pie (6935 posts) -

In Gears you just couldnt go into the light because of bats, in this you can go into the dark, the light just stops enemies from being invincible. Also in Alan Wake your not going round trying to turn on light sources and move them about like in gears, your just using your flashlight to hurt enemies (and flares) and using big street lights and sheds and stuff as a kind of way point and somewhere where you desperately want to get to

#12 Posted by Baillie (3955 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic: I'm sorry, but you're just trolling. I don't know why, either. So yeah... don't?
#13 Posted by kishan6 (1914 posts) -

i guess i can see the similarities but  
you dont hate cod5 just because its the exact same thing as cod4 right? 
well i do because i hate all COD's except for 2&1 but still

#14 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3657 posts) -

You know how pac man has the power pellet? 
Well the star in the mario games does almost the exact same thing. 
No one hates Mario because of it.

#15 Edited by Eidderf (504 posts) -

Mario has a moustache, Captain Price has a moustache. No wonder Infinity Ward is going under when it's ripping off ideas from all over the place.

Where have all the original ideas gone?

#16 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Baillie said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic: I'm sorry, but you're just trolling. I don't know why, either. So yeah... don't? "
Umm, no my good man, i dont troll. 

When a new game gets huge hype because of it's great idea and gameplay of using light to fight darkness figures, and i watch and notice that it's so much like that one level of Gears of War, my hype decreases and i say something about it. 

@Eidderf said:
" Mario has a moustache, Captain Price has a moustache. No wonder Infinity Ward is going under when it's ripping off ideas from all over the place.  Where have all the original ideas gone? "
for the 10th fucking time : 

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
"  All i'm saying is: as far as latest-gen games go, I wouldnt enjoy Alan Wake as much as i'd like to (if/when i play it) Because its too much like something i experienced not long ago in Gears of War. "
#17 Posted by Jimbo (9709 posts) -
@JeffGoldblum said:
" You know how pac man has the power pellet? Well the star in the mario games does almost the exact same thing. No one hates Mario because of it. "
Pac Man was pretty pissed about it.
#18 Posted by The_A_Drain (3910 posts) -

It's really absolutely nothing like that one, tiny section in Gears of War dude. Get the hell over it... Seriously... I don't know wtf the problem is. You like a game less because it has a marginal resemblance to another? No. Just no. Not even a whole game either, one tiny section that, in reality, is nothing alike... Boggles the mind dude.

#19 Posted by ColinWright (741 posts) -

Aw C'mon, never knew that Marcus was a best selling author.

#20 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2924 posts) -

Wow guys...wow. 

Is Deadly Premonition really like Alan Wake at all? No, not really. Can we see obvious resemblances between the two? Absolutely. My enjoyment of Alan Wake would be less because of Deadly Premonition. Now, you can say I'm wrong and that my opinion is wrong, but it is what it is. Ahmad_Metallic sees a resemblance between the two, and he wanted to say that. What's the big deal!? He's not saying YOU can't enjoy the game because he thinks it's like a Gears of War level, he's just stating his opinion.  

YOU guys are the ones trolling HIM. Get off his dick for Christ's sake and let him think this game is like a Gears of War level if he wants. I mean, it really shouldn't bother you guys so much that he has a different opinion than you.

#21 Posted by Baillie (3955 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic: I'm sorry, but your argument is completely stupid. If you can't see this then I am sorry. Controversy is always a way to get noticed!
#22 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1787 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic: This statement is dumber than the one that you made about the staff producing less content because of the endurance run.
#23 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@W0lfbl1tzers said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic: This statement is dumber than the one that you made about the staff producing less content because of the endurance run. "
thats wasnt me
#24 Posted by Baillie (3955 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry: Stop trying to be all high and mighty. I think I am entitled to argue back all I want, this is clearly an attack against Alan Wake, anyone else really wouldn't compare the two at all. 
#25 Posted by Eidderf (504 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry: 
So what do we discuss in this topic, both games use light mechanics it pretty different ways, honestly the Gears of War level resembles the dark world of Metroid Prime Echoes more closely since you are constantly hurt if you are outside the light bubbles. In Alan Wake the darkness doesn't hurt you it harms the creatures in the dark, you use the light as a weapon not as protection. Yes there is the section in Gears where you use the light gun to shoot kryll but it hardly uses the idea of light to much of effect, it's basically used as a laser which feature in many games. So basically he doesn't want to play Alan Wake because they both feature light, not even in the same way for the most part, that seems very unreasonable, especially considering it's really the story and narrative that is the unique part of the game (not that they are completely original by a long shot but very few stories are)  

What are we meant to say to him, some guy comes into a forum and makes some rather uninformed statements without playing the game, do you just want a page of people saying 'ok that's alright it's your opinion'  He opened his opinion up to us on a forum and people criticised it which they have the right to do as long as they aren't attacking him directly.

#26 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2924 posts) -
@Baillie:  People have different opinions over things. If somebody made a thread saying how great the Big Mac was, I wouldn't troll him and say he was attacking the Whopper, even though I wouldn't be able to understand how he enjoys that filthy sammich. 

You need to realize people have different opinions.
#27 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2924 posts) -
@Eidderf said:
" @AlwaysAngry: 
So what do we discuss in this topic, both games use light mechanics it pretty different ways, honestly the Gears of War level resembles the dark world of Metroid Prime Echoes more closely since you are constantly hurt if you are outside the light bubbles. In Alan Wake the darkness doesn't hurt you it harms the creatures in the dark, you use the light as a weapon not as protection. Yes there is the section in Gears where you use the light gun to shoot kryll but it hardly uses the idea of light to much of effect, it's basically used as a laser which feature in many games. So basically he doesn't want to play Alan Wake because they both feature light, not even in the same way for the most part, that seems very unreasonable, especially considering it's really the story and narrative that is the unique part of the game (not that they are completely original by a long shot but very few stories are)  

What are we meant to say to him, some guy comes into a forum and makes some rather uninformed statements without playing the game, do you just want a page of people saying 'ok that's alright it's your opinion'  He opened his opinion up to us on a forum and people criticised it which they have the right to do as long as they aren't attacking him directly.

"
1.) He said he would probably enjoy Alan Wake, but the thought of Gears would always be on the back of his mind. 

2.) You don't have to play a game to see what it's about. We get the main idea of Alan Wake from reviews and everything. 

3.) People are attacking him directly by calling him a troll. 

If people could make reasonable arguments, then fine. But as of now, people are just saying "troll" and taking his statement as an attack, which it isn't at all. You can criticize his opinion, but first you must realize he isn't subliminally attacking Alan Wake in some kind of troll thread. I know it's hard for most people to understand, but people can think differently about a certain game (or anything in life) and not be attacking it.
#28 Posted by Baillie (3955 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry: I sm attacking him by calling him out on his troll antics? Sorry that's not attacking, that's logic. Your argument of the big mac vs whopper isn't relatable as those are two of the same. Gears of war's level of driving around shinning a light on birds is nowhere near the same as alan wake's light vs dark gameplay.
#29 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Nothing in Gears of War was original but this arbitrary connection bothers you huh.

#30 Posted by TheDoorman (532 posts) -

I see that the original intent for this thread has sadly taken a turn for the worse.

I didn't think he was trolling but its appears to many others that he is.

#31 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
"  this arbitrary connection bothers you huh. "
sure does 

@TheDoorman said:
" I see that the original intent for this thread has sadly taken a turn for the worse.  I didn't think he was trolling but its appears to many others that he is. "
I dont blame them. if 90% of this kind of threads are usually trolls and attacks, the 10% left would be mistaken for trolls aswell. 

All i wanted is to point out something i noticed. Why didnt anyone call the guy who said the new Ghost Recon game is a rip off of another game a troll ?
#32 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
#33 Edited by zombie2011 (4941 posts) -

Dumbest Fucking Thread Ever!!!!  
Also have you seen the movie Pitch Black?

#34 Posted by iAmJohn (6091 posts) -

It's just you, dude.

#35 Posted by immike (714 posts) -

You're disappointed because another game has a level that another game has? I don't see why people are arguing with you. You're most likely completely wrong, but that's your choice.

#36 Edited by Eidderf (504 posts) -
@TheDoorman: What is the intent of this thread? What is there to discuss? They both use light, great...

@AlwaysAngry:

You say you don't have to play a game to know what it's about, but even from reading about the 2 games and watching videos you can tell their approach to light which is what his point centres around isn't particularly valid. And I'm sorry but when posting:

'Yeah, too bad Gears of War had that level, otherwise Alan Wake would actually feel quite original :('

What did he think the reaction would be? Can you honestly say that doesn't sound like trolling, if it wasn't he could have phrased it in a much more appropriate way.
#37 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

I thought I was going to like Red Dead Redemption, but then I realized that there was this one whole game called Gun not to long ago. 

I mean, think about it: 
1) open world western 
2) slo-motion gunfighting 
3) horseback riding 

I don't think I'll be able to enjoy it as much anymore.  

#38 Posted by xyzygy (9623 posts) -

You DO realize that Gears of War and Alan Wake have totally different storylines, atmospheres, themes, and moods? I can't believe this thread even exists. You don't deserve to play Alan Wake if you think it's like Gears of War -_-

#39 Posted by Shirogane (3560 posts) -

Now that i think about it, apart from the fact that you use light, which is in many other games before Gears, there isn't a lot about it that is alike. I'm sure you'll enjoy the game when you eventually get it. 
The Gears level was just, stay in the light. This is using light as an actual weapon against enemies, you can go into the darkness if you want. It's quite a big difference, even if it may not seem apparant to you currently, it will when and if you play it. 

Also, the Wii game, Fragile Dreams, forces you to shine light on enemies before they appear.
#40 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Shirogane said: 

" The Gears level was just, stay in the light. This is using light as an actual weapon against enemies"

Read the original post : 

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
"
  • You use a powerful projector mounted ontop of your "gears mobile" (lol) to burn away the darkness bats when they attack"
#41 Posted by Shirogane (3560 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic:
Right right, totally forgot about that part. Shouldn't have, it took me and my cousin 20+ tries to finally beat that part.
#42 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

That level was one of the high points in... wait, I'll stop myself. I don't know. Parts of that level in Gears were cool, but it could get pretty darn frustrating.

#43 Posted by lizcav (62 posts) -

This game is totally a rip off of the Wiggles song "Wake Up Jeff"!

#44 Posted by TheHT (10274 posts) -

Well, if you break it down to fundamentals sure this game has a lot more of that level's sort of gameplay I'm sure. But it's not like it's going to be akin to playing the same old Gears level over and over, that's just silly.

#45 Posted by ajamafalous (11591 posts) -

This is a dumb thread.

#46 Posted by Icemael (6269 posts) -

They're nothing alike, dude. At no point in my 12 hours with Alan Wake did I even think of that Gears of War level.

#47 Posted by natetodamax (19136 posts) -

No.

#48 Posted by meshelleee (16 posts) -

i love love love gears of war - but seriously, this is nothing like gears of war. I am so excited for this game to come out. It's been like what, 5 years in the making? :P I love the twin peaks feel (then again i'm from seattle so maybe i'm biased) and love the creepy forrests and crazy lumberjack zombies comin at ya. Yay for Alan Wake!! Go find Alice!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.