Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

Spoilers Max Payne in my Alan Wake

Freefall1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Freefall1025

Has anyone else noticed the references (homage?) to Max Payne during the very beginning of the second episode in the apartment in New York?
     The second manuscript reading includes "Late Goodbye" which was the dramatic end/credit song by Poets of the Fall in Max Payne 2.  The manuscript is read by Max himself in that noir, over-the-top deadpan, gruff voice that is different from Alan wake's voice.  There is a blizzard outside, and the radio makes reference to the storm which is a nod toward Max Payne 1.  And finally, there is a bottle of pills in the medicine cabinet in the bathroom of the apartment which looks exactly like the bottle of pills that were health kits in both Max games.  The pills are directly referenced in the manuscript reading too.  As a Max fan I just thought that was cool, since Remedy made the first two games.  It made me smile.

wipu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By wipu

You forgot/missed the dual beretta display case and the protagonist in Wake's books seems kinda familiar too, renamed of course due to fact that Remedy sold the rights. And I wouldn't call them spoilers though, easter eggs maybe. 

I found few other references too, keep looking ;)

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By DrPockets000

I noticed and recognized what you both mentioned.  It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :)

Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
    Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

The coolest easter egg that I noticed was toward the end of the game. I actually don't know if you'd call it an easter egg per se, but it's by far the funniest Max Payne reference in the game. You should definitely run across it as it's virtually impossible to miss.

Titl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Titl

The best Max Payne reference is: 

Is the in-game font, not the one used in the Max Payne games?
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_A_Drain

Yes the in-game font is the same as in Max Payne although slightly tweaked. 

I fail to see how nobody has pointed this out yet though (but everybody should know anyway, because if you don't... well) Remedy made Max Payne. The only reason these references aren't directly referencing "Max Payne" (instead they use Alex Casey) is because they don't hold the rights to Max Payne. I believe Rockstar does. 

Basically, in this world at least, Alan Wake wrote Max Payne. You can learn more about it in the developer commentary/documentaries on the LCE disc.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Rhaknar

Do the face

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Isn't Barry basically Vinnie from Max Payne 2? I think it's even the same voice actor.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By TheKidNixon

Mullet Time speech is the best.

CockBlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CockBlock

What you have all failed to notice as well is the actor playing Alan Wake is the actor for Max Payne 2 and in the interview for the book the guy who "does the face" is MAx Payne 1. Also there are a million metaphors  in all of Wake's manuscripts( Max Payne in every speech)

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Rhaknar
    @CockBlock said:
    " What you have all failed to notice as well is the actor playing Alan Wake is the actor for Max Payne 2 and in the interview for the book the guy who "does the face" is MAx Payne 1. Also there are a million metaphors  in all of Wake's manuscripts( Max Payne in every speech) "
    all failed to notice? I said "do the face" 1 week ago.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By AndrewB

This seems pretty obvious to me, but I haven't seen too many people talking about it... Anybody else take the manuscript to be a Remedy canon ending to the Max Payne franchise? Sounds like Mona (or some other "femme fatale") betrays and kills Max, and he finally gets to see his wife and kid in heaven.

The whole talk about killing off Alex Casey is a parallel to the situation Remedy must have faced with Max Payne.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Genkkaku

One of the Alex Casey books is called Return to Sender.. The Return to Sender 'Address Unknown' marathon in Max Payne 2 

and theres the references to Norse mythology that were part of Max Payne

Avatar image for skullcrushermountain
    SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've noticed subtler stuff.  The "locked door, can't go in there" sound in the game is the same from the Max Payne series.  So is the shotgun reload sound.  

I must have missed the Casey = Payne stuff, I'm guessing it's just because he was a detective in New York?  Or did I miss some other stuff as well?

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By unclejohnny79
    @SkullcrusherMountain said:
    " I've noticed subtler stuff.  The "locked door, can't go in there" sound in the game is the same from the Max Payne series.  So is the shotgun reload sound.    I must have missed the Casey = Payne stuff, I'm guessing it's just because he was a detective in New York?  Or did I miss some other stuff as well? "
    in the book store there was a book called the fall of alex casey
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By iamjohn
    @SkullcrusherMountain said:
    " I must have missed the Casey = Payne stuff, I'm guessing it's just because he was a detective in New York?  Or did I miss some other stuff as well? "
    Read the two manuscript pages you find for Wake's most recent book--The Sudden Stop--at the beginning of Episode 2.  They make it pretty clear that Alex Casey is supposed to be Max Payne.
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By thatfrood

When Sam Lake "does the face". That was amazing. I almost died.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By RichardLOlson

Max Payne should have made a guest spot in Alan Wake

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.