The Next-Next DLC Episode for Alan Wake Priced, Detailed

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Striking with a quasi-announcement while the flashlight is still hot (and probably unattainable for the first five minutes), Remedy Entertainment has announced, priced, and even detailed--albeit vaguely--the second downloadable add-on for its psychological-thriller-action-horror-game-thing, Alan Wake.

The new content is dubbed The Writer, according to a blurb that cropped up on the game's downloadable content menu late last week (see picture, stage right). It, seemingly, sets up the next-next phase of the game's core narrative: Mr. Wake knows his enemy, but still finds himself in a battle of survival against spooky junk. "Our second downloadable content pack, The Writer, finds Wake in strange circumstances," the blurb reads, "Now fully aware of the thing that opposes him, he must survive one increasingly nightmarish situation after another." 

In other words, The Writer won't be about sunshine, kittens or rainbows. Not that we should expect such a thing considering what we've learned about the game's other piece of unreleased DLC. In the game's first add-on content, The Signal--which is due to hit July 27th and costs 800 Microsoft Points for anyone who bought the game "used" like a criminal--Wake will face "a threat unlike anything he's ever encounter before." But it's still a threat "he's intimately familiar with." He'll need to follow something called the "Signal" in order to "make sense of it all." Like a rainbow or a kitten has ever provided insight, right?

Like The Signal, The Writer has been priced at 800 Microsoft Points. No word on release date for this second pack, but the blurb does mention that it's "coming soon." I'm guessing that means August or so. So much for that "get all your DLC out within the first 60 seconds the game hits the streets" plan we hear so much about.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Striking with a quasi-announcement while the flashlight is still hot (and probably unattainable for the first five minutes), Remedy Entertainment has announced, priced, and even detailed--albeit vaguely--the second downloadable add-on for its psychological-thriller-action-horror-game-thing, Alan Wake.

The new content is dubbed The Writer, according to a blurb that cropped up on the game's downloadable content menu late last week (see picture, stage right). It, seemingly, sets up the next-next phase of the game's core narrative: Mr. Wake knows his enemy, but still finds himself in a battle of survival against spooky junk. "Our second downloadable content pack, The Writer, finds Wake in strange circumstances," the blurb reads, "Now fully aware of the thing that opposes him, he must survive one increasingly nightmarish situation after another." 

In other words, The Writer won't be about sunshine, kittens or rainbows. Not that we should expect such a thing considering what we've learned about the game's other piece of unreleased DLC. In the game's first add-on content, The Signal--which is due to hit July 27th and costs 800 Microsoft Points for anyone who bought the game "used" like a criminal--Wake will face "a threat unlike anything he's ever encounter before." But it's still a threat "he's intimately familiar with." He'll need to follow something called the "Signal" in order to "make sense of it all." Like a rainbow or a kitten has ever provided insight, right?

Like The Signal, The Writer has been priced at 800 Microsoft Points. No word on release date for this second pack, but the blurb does mention that it's "coming soon." I'm guessing that means August or so. So much for that "get all your DLC out within the first 60 seconds the game hits the streets" plan we hear so much about.
#2 Edited by Droop (1916 posts) -

Thanks for the spoiler :'(

#3 Posted by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -

Interesting.

#4 Posted by rentfn (1288 posts) -

Can't wait for this.

#5 Posted by Creamypies (4091 posts) -
@Droop said:
" Thanks for the spoiler :'( "
It's your own fault for clicking on it.
#6 Posted by V_Ben (108 posts) -

Well, it sounds pretty good. Looking forward to it.

#7 Posted by KarlPilkington (2778 posts) -

I'm enjoying getting more news from Giant Bomb. Keep it up Brad!

#8 Posted by Droop (1916 posts) -
@creamypies said:
" @Droop said:
" Thanks for the spoiler :'( "
It's your own fault for clicking on it. "
T'was a joke :<
#9 Posted by RazielCuts (2986 posts) -

Did I miss the first one coming out already?

#10 Posted by Devileye--defunct (48 posts) -

interesting. cant wait to see the enemy from the DLC

#11 Edited by Fosssil (627 posts) -
@RazielCuts: No. The first episode doesn't come out until the end of July, I believe.

EDIT: Yeah, Brad put the release date for the first episode right in the article: July 27th.
#12 Edited by Milkman (17311 posts) -

I didn't even know a first DLC episode was announced.

I should probably get around to playing this.

#13 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Nicholson first post repping hard aiight bro blazing 24/7 STILL>

#14 Posted by SlantedRoom (265 posts) -

not to sound like a dick or anything but usually when i read a giantbomb article i know within the first few sentences like 'oh this is jeff' or 'oh this is vinny' writing the article by the tone of the writing, and i've found  all those dudes to have a pleasent, inviting tone.. i'm just not really gettin that feeling with this new dude. i'm definitely not gonna write him off yet, i'll give it a minute to sink in, but so far he's not coming off quite right for me.  
the matt dude seems alright, the new brad not so much though.  
and once again, not trying to be a dick, just throwing out my opinion. 
#15 Posted by ZmillA (2286 posts) -

did new copies of alan wake come with a code to download the first DLC?

#16 Posted by stalefishies (344 posts) -
@FUPA11 said:

" not to sound like a dick or anything but usually when i read a giantbomb article i know within the first few sentences like 'oh this is jeff' or 'oh this is vinny' writing the article by the tone of the writing, and i've found  all those dudes to have a pleasent, inviting tone.. i'm just not really gettin that feeling with this new dude. i'm definitely not gonna write him off yet, i'll give it a minute to sink in, but so far he's not coming off quite right for me.  the matt dude seems alright, the new brad not so much though.  and once again, not trying to be a dick, just throwing out my opinion.  "

I think it might be because the tone of the humour is a little more cynical? I get the same feeling, but it's hard to put my finger on it.
#17 Posted by cronox2 (52 posts) -

Welcome aboard Chet...err Brad.

#18 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

I think I'll wait for the Kittens DLC if that's ok.

#19 Posted by kariyanine (217 posts) -

Loved the game so I'll be all over this once it hits. 

#20 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -
@stalefishies said:
" @FUPA11 said:

" not to sound like a dick or anything but usually when i read a giantbomb article i know within the first few sentences like 'oh this is jeff' or 'oh this is vinny' writing the article by the tone of the writing, and i've found  all those dudes to have a pleasent, inviting tone.. i'm just not really gettin that feeling with this new dude. i'm definitely not gonna write him off yet, i'll give it a minute to sink in, but so far he's not coming off quite right for me.  the matt dude seems alright, the new brad not so much though.  and once again, not trying to be a dick, just throwing out my opinion.  "

I think it might be because the tone of the humour is a little more cynical? I get the same feeling, but it's hard to put my finger on it. "
give it up haters....
#21 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -
@nail1080 said:
" @stalefishies said:
" @FUPA11 said:

I think it might be because the tone of the humour is a little more cynical? I get the same feeling, but it's hard to put my finger on it. "
give it up haters.... "
Go and listen to the destructoid podcast hosted by Brad N and you will change your minds.
#22 Posted by Jeust (10854 posts) -
@Chabbs0 said:
" I'm enjoying getting more news from Giant Bomb. Keep it up Brad! "
Yep... Interesting stuff!
#23 Posted by TRAYNREK (113 posts) -
@Vorbis said:
" @nail1080 said:
" @stalefishies said:
" @FUPA11 said:

give it up haters.... "
Go and listen to the destructoid podcast hosted by Brad N and you will change your minds. "
I don't know why I feel like I have to defend Brad N, but give him a chance.  Once you get his personality you'll like him way better.
#24 Posted by ThatFrood (3391 posts) -

This is relevant to my interests

#25 Posted by Jeust (10854 posts) -
@TRAYNREK said:
" @Vorbis said:
" @nail1080 said:
" @stalefishies said:
" @FUPA11 said:

give it up haters.... "
Go and listen to the destructoid podcast hosted by Brad N and you will change your minds. "
I don't know why I feel like I have to defend Brad N, but give him a chance.  Once you get his personality you'll like him way better. "
Let Brad The Second alone. He's doing a good job!  
#27 Posted by hpv (177 posts) -

They should make a DLC episode about sunshine, kittens, and rainbows.  No one would see that coming.

#28 Edited by MrOldboy (870 posts) -

Nice to see more people producing DLC while the games still in development instead of putting all their resources into the retail game. I'm all for DLC, but two "episodes" only 2 months after release, this project $10 fad has got me worried for the future quality of retail games. I will probably still own the game by then, but I have trouble going back to games for DLC. Never got the fallout stuff or borderlands stuff.

#29 Posted by CletusTheFoetus (148 posts) -
Anyone who talks about rainbows and kittens gets my vote.
Why do I get the impression this is going to be a horde mode thing with waves of enemies? 
#30 Posted by caesius6 (200 posts) -
@MrOldboy said:
" Nice to see more people producing DLC while the games still in development instead of putting all their resources into the retail game. I'm all for DLC, but two "episodes" only 2 months after release, this project $10 fad has got me worried for the future quality of retail games. I will probably still own the game by then, but I have trouble going back to games for DLC. Never got the fallout stuff or borderlands stuff. "
As you know may already know, games take time to develop, and so do ideas. There are tons of ideas that don't make it into the final game due to time constraint, etc.
 Just because it's coming out 2-3 months after the game is coming out, doesn't mean it started day one with the idea of Alan Wake. Especially when the whole groundwork for the game is laid out, gameplay, character, story, setting, bugs fixed, etc, it takes MUCH less time to develop an add-on as most your work is cut out for you.
I'm not saying this wasn't an idea before the game ended, but it CERTAINLY wasn't an idea that they had and were able to put into the game before it's release. The game was in the making for five years. For one more episode to work into the whole game, it would've taken a long time. It's better to put that idea on the back burner and revisit it another time, via DLC.  this is in no way a scam or a steal. If you don't want to support them by paying ten dollars for hours of extra gameplay, then don't do it, but don't hate on studios that are doing DLC the right way.  They aren't releasing paid cheats to unlock things, or dlc that just unlocks portions of the disc.
#31 Posted by MeatSim (10938 posts) -

I want some DLC where Alan Wake takes a nap.

#32 Posted by jakob187 (21755 posts) -

ZOMG!  SO MANY QUOTATION MARKS!!!  

#33 Posted by eskimo (481 posts) -

lame, we shouldnt have to pay for DLC to see the end of the story

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.