Alan Wake's American Nightmare

#1 Posted by Falconer (1694 posts) -

We got a full on trailer last night from the VGAs. Now, I've only just completed the main game. In it, Mr Scratch came out of left field, and was gone two seconds later. From what I know, he's a focus in at least the second DLC for the game though. It seems like American Nightmare might be a direct continuation of the first game's story (contrary to what's been said up until now).

The down side? This trailer leaves me to believe that this is small game is going to be action heavy. Fans of the game will agree that towards the end of the game, we put up with the combat just to see what happens in the story. I myself ended up playing the back half of the game in like one hour chunks every few days because the combat became such a chore. But, we do see the addition of a small, MAC10 like sub-machine gun in the trailer, so hopefully they've made things better.

(Note: the audio in the trailer becomes off-sync about half way though.)

#2 Posted by Dogma (975 posts) -

What confuses me is that it seems to be a direct follow up to the game but it will be released as a XBLA title. Why do this instead of continue to release DLC for the game?

#3 Posted by AndrewB (7669 posts) -

I'd eat it up if they'd tell me it was going to be heavy on story. For as much as I felt alone in liking the combat in the first game, it did become monotonous, and I can only take so much of it. The things I love are the atmosphere and the characters.

Unfortunately, I can't help but see this and the Alan Wake DLC as anything more than a grab for cash to make back the costs on a game that was in development for ages and sold rather mediocrely, while the bulk of the effort goes into the next full project.

#4 Posted by AlmostSwedish (575 posts) -

@Dogma said:

What confuses me is that it seems to be a direct follow up to the game but it will be released as a XBLA title. Why do this instead of continue to release DLC for the game?

If they were to do it as DLC, they wouldn't be able to attract new customers. This way, they get the people who would have bought it as DLC as well as some new folks.

#5 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

I think this could be an amazing direction for Alan Wake to go in. It'd be like the Twilight Zone of video games. Imagine what crazy shit they could do! Super pumped.

#6 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

@ShaggyChu: No I enjoyed the combat all the way through, I never actually got bored of it.

When I first saw the trailer I thought it would be sort of a side story that connects to the main story, like what Brotherhood is to the Assassins Creed franchise. I am still not sure.

#7 Posted by bybeach (4898 posts) -

Wow, the second commercial, I was suprised he did that too!

Alan Wake I liked a whole lot. Even the combat. Yes, in Alan Wake. Though to add, that machine pistol or small smg does look promising, also. Fustrating combat, say hello to my little friend....

I hope they don't screw this up. They keep their values high like they did in that flawed by mostly pretty intelligent game(it was easy to ignore the adverts) and I will even become something like a fanboy. But I won't act like one, Alan Wake would say I've given in to the Dark..

#8 Posted by NTM (7479 posts) -

It's a bit awkward, 'cause it just seems like some more DLC for Alan Wake.

#9 Posted by Dustpan (1694 posts) -

@Bwast said:

I think this could be an amazing direction for Alan Wake to go in. It'd be like the Twilight Zone of video games. Imagine what crazy shit they could do! Super pumped.

My thoughts exactly.

#10 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Alan WAKe was a game that would have been great as an episodic game. There were points were the combat was tedious but i felt the story and atmosphere were top notch

#11 Posted by jakob187 (21691 posts) -

The trailer gave me the feeling that this will be to Alan Wake what Case Zero was to Dead Rising 2, and I'm all for that.

Alan Wake was a phenomenal game loaded with atmosphere, story, character, and perfectly fine gameplay. If Remedy is giving me more of that, it's all I could even ask for. I am curious about whether this follows up on the story from the first games and its DLC or if this will truly be a spin-off. There's still a lot of questions I've got that haven't been completely answered (or at least answered satisfactorily).

@Bwast said:

This is a great way to put it. There's no reason why Alan Wake can't exist in small episodic packages, especially since that's basically what the original game was. If anything, it's the most brilliant and least risky way for Remedy to tackle the franchise.

#12 Posted by JJOR64 (19023 posts) -

I was pleasantly surprised on how much I enjoyed Alan Wake and it was easily one of my favorite games of last year. Definitely looking forward to this.

#13 Posted by Nux (2383 posts) -

This is going to be on XBLA right? Not on disk? Either way its more Alan Wake and I'm pumped for that.

#14 Edited by Zacagawea (1599 posts) -

Can somebody fill me on who Mr.Scratch is/why he is? In fact, just explain the entire game to me again because it's been a while.

#15 Edited by xyzygy (10030 posts) -

I think the reason they're going downloadable is because the original Alan wake saw much more success digitally than on shelves. Sales of the original have surpassed 1.5 million now, with digital sales included :)

#16 Posted by TeenageJesusSuperstar (170 posts) -

I really loved Alan Wake, warts and all and if the Max Payne games are anything to go by, Remedy knows how to handle faster paced action than we saw in the original game. That trailer really doesn't give us a whole lot else to go on, especially with the crappy audio issues. Going by the title treatment this might have a bit more grindhouse feel to it which I can't say I'm too enthused about, but then again, I am a total Twin Peaks nut.

#17 Posted by Pezen (1634 posts) -

It seems both more action oriented and less atmospheric. And even the trailer is over-telling the idea. Maybe it's just the trailer. What I really liked about Alan Wake was the subtle way some of the concepts were introduced and some you had to figure out on your own. Even after finishing the main game and the two DLCs, I still have some lingering questions and a need to see a true closure to that game. Putting out a downloadable title that may or may not even be directly linked to the main story, is troubling. Here's to hoping it turns out well.

#18 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

I LIKED THE COMBAT

#19 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@phrali said:

I LIKED THE COMBAT

I got bored of it 3/5 through.

Near the end it was just me running to the next checkpoint to have all the monsters fade away. I'm up for a XBLA Alan Wake game and even if the combat isn't touched, I love the lore.

#20 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Is this that new American Mcgee game?

#21 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3819 posts) -
#22 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

@ShaggyChu: You HAVE to play the DLC for Alan Wake;. It's far superior to anything in the main game; less fighting, more crazy stuff happening all the time. If I can get more of that and less of the "go through location during the day, get lost in the forest at night, return to civilization, repeat" I'll be happy.

#23 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

look nice, as long as it keeps the narration from the first game I'll be cool with it

#24 Posted by xyzygy (10030 posts) -

I beat the game + DLC about 3 times and I still don't really "get" who Mr. Scratch is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.