Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alex Rigopulos

Person » credited in 16 games

Alex Rigopulos is CEO and co-founder of Harmonix, the studio behind Frequency, Amplitude, Guitar Hero, and Rock Band.

Harmonix's Alex Rigopulos Loves...Stephen Colbert?

• 195 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    No Caption Provided

The largest single contributor to the Super PAC (political action committee) supporting Comedy Central host Stephen Colbert’s faux presidential campaign is...Alex Rigopulos?

Yes, Alex Rigopulos, the very same CEO of Harmonix, the creators of Rock Band and Guitar Hero. The executive donated nearly $10,000 to “Americans For a Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow.”

The New York Times has broken down the contributors to Super PACs, and unearthed that Rigopulos contributed $9,600 towards Colbert’s quest to expose the ridiculousness of Super PACs.

Super PACs are the result of a Supreme Court’s 2010 decision in “Citizens United vs. Federal Election Commission.”

I won’t get into the politics of the decision--there's plenty of that elsewhere--but the net result has been more money than ever before finding its way into elections, and Colbert’s Super PAC has been doing its best to lampoon the process ever since.

Rigopulos has contributed to campaigns in the past, having donated thousands of dollars to President Obama's campaign in 2008.

If you haven't been paying attention to Colbert's antics, here's a taste of what you've been missing:

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek
    No Caption Provided

The largest single contributor to the Super PAC (political action committee) supporting Comedy Central host Stephen Colbert’s faux presidential campaign is...Alex Rigopulos?

Yes, Alex Rigopulos, the very same CEO of Harmonix, the creators of Rock Band and Guitar Hero. The executive donated nearly $10,000 to “Americans For a Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow.”

The New York Times has broken down the contributors to Super PACs, and unearthed that Rigopulos contributed $9,600 towards Colbert’s quest to expose the ridiculousness of Super PACs.

Super PACs are the result of a Supreme Court’s 2010 decision in “Citizens United vs. Federal Election Commission.”

I won’t get into the politics of the decision--there's plenty of that elsewhere--but the net result has been more money than ever before finding its way into elections, and Colbert’s Super PAC has been doing its best to lampoon the process ever since.

Rigopulos has contributed to campaigns in the past, having donated thousands of dollars to President Obama's campaign in 2008.

If you haven't been paying attention to Colbert's antics, here's a taste of what you've been missing:

Knave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Knave

Splendid Journalism.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
    TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TheCreamFilling

No way.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Neat. Also, that ad is amazing.

MolluskLingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MolluskLingers

Why don't you cover real news instead of glorifying Harmonix who will be foreclosed this year? Is $10,000 to a SuperPAC really smart when your company stole money from Viacom?

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By EuanDewar

I love him too.

Ketchupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Ketchupp

I enjoy Stephen Colbert too. NEWS!

MolluskLingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MolluskLingers

Although I guess the fact that Viacom is involved with the Super PAC that theres extreme hyperbole on the CEO giving money to the people he accuses of cheating him out of money.

benson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By benson

@Methodis said:

Why don't you cover real news instead of glorifying Harmonix who will be foreclosed this year? Is $10,000 to a SuperPAC really smart when your company stole money from Viacom?

Hey Methodis I heard John T Drake murdered your dog and Alex Navarro stole your lunch money, is that true?

MolluskLingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MolluskLingers

@benson said:

@Methodis said:

Hey Methodis I heard John T Drake murdered your dog and Alex Navarro stole your lunch money, is that true?

No, I just don't stand for bad games and people who try to rip off corporations :).

Gatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gatz

@Methodis: Truly the greatest evil of our times.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King

@benson said:

@Methodis said:

You're nothing more than a dirty liar. It's the other way around.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Dark

The part about the silent T and what else is he being silent about, that made me laugh my ass off, I love political ads.

benson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By benson

@Methodis said:

No, I just don't stand for bad games and people who try to rip off corporations :).

Ah, so Casey Malone laughed at your haircut then.

(Seriously duder you should just stop with your weird little vendetta, it's creepy)

Sporkbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sporkbane

Oh Stephen Colbert. How you never cease to amuse me.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By TruthTellah

Some of the guys over at Harmonix are just great. When they come over to hang out with Giant Bomb, it's always a good time. :)

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ShaggE

@Methodis said:

It's not Patrick's fault that Rigopolous donated money. He's not going to throw an article away just because somebody on the internet doesn't like Harmonix.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By AhmadMetallic

American politix

MolluskLingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MolluskLingers

My hatred of people who steal money from corproations - in this case Harmonix Music Systems -is no different from the army of drones who hate a hard working start up like Zynga irrationally. Especially when they claim that Zynga "steals" ideas, and then go on to praise PopCap, who stole many of their games from small indie developers. Except just because one time this paid public relations worker from Harmonix made a funny i'm the immoral one for seeing behind the veil of lies? I wonder if Zynga was friends with the site if people would still hate them.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#20  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Listen, I fully support Stephen Colbert's farcical attack on our election system, but this does not deserve to be news.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TruthTellah

@Methodis said:

Although I guess the fact that Viacom is involved with the Super PAC that theres extreme hyperbole on the CEO giving money to the people he accuses of cheating him out of money.

Technically, Viacom has nothing to do with the Colbert Super Pac. Under Federal law, they can't be part of it. That's why Stephen Colbert had to jump through hoops to make sure that simply showing his daily program wasn't considered a contribution to the Super Pac. Viacom is not an official sponsor of the Super Pac or a contributor. It is the work of Stephen Colbert and his team alone.

Supporting the Colbert Super Pac(aka. the Anti Super Pac Super Pac) is not in any way a support of Viacom, as none of the money goes to Viacom. The money is solely under the authority of Stephen Colbert and his personal team.

MolluskLingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MolluskLingers

@TruthTellah said:

@Methodis said:

Technically, Viacom has nothing to do with the Colbert Super Pac. Under Federal law, they can't be part of it. That's why Stephen Colbert had to jump through hoops to make sure that simply showing his daily program wasn't considered a contribution to the Super Pac. Viacom is not an official sponsor of the Super Pac or a contributor. It is the work of Stephen Colbert and his team alone.

Supporting the Colbert Super Pac(aka. the Anti Super Pac Super Pac) is not in any way a support of Viacom, as none of the money goes to Viacom. The money is solely under the authority of Stephen Colbert and his personal team.

This may be true, but Viacom earns money from advertising and the Colbert Show itself, which uses the Super PAC to draw in viewers, which this CEO contributed to!

benson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By benson

@Methodis said:

My hatred of people who steal money from corproations - in this case Harmonix Music Systems -is no different from the army of drones who hate a hard working start up like Zynga irrationally. Especially when they claim that Zynga "steals" ideas, and then go on to praise PopCap, who stole many of their games from small indie developers. Except just because one time this paid public relations worker from Harmonix made a funny i'm the immoral one for seeing behind the veil of lies? I wonder if Zynga was friends with the site if people would still hate them.

You want this, don't you? The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger. With each passing moment you make yourself more my servant.

MolluskLingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MolluskLingers

Also how come this is news yet the thousands of dollars Bobby Kotick gives to charity ever year not "news"? Is this implying that a political organization is more important then supporting sick and needy children around the world? Where's the article highlighting the good deeds of Mr. Kotick and the other CEO's?

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By winsord

@Methodis said:

Aaah, there is so much stupid here it hurts. =(

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By toowalrus

Right well, who doesn't love Colbert?

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ben_H

Good for Rigopulos. Colbert and Jon Stewart should be commended for showing the sheer stupidity of the whole PAC process. It's kinda ridiculous when it takes satirists to get the point across about how ridiculous the US electoral process is.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By pw2566ch

I really thought I would say this, but please keep these type of articles on Kotaku.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ALavaPenguin

ok

Yeahbuhwhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Yeahbuhwhat

@pw2566ch said:

I really thought I would say this, but please keep these type of articles on Kotaku.

And I say please continue. Every piece of content does not need to appeal to every person. I don't watch the Endurance Run videos, but you don't see me complaining that they need to stop producing that content.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By laserbolts

How is this news at all? Who gives a fuck about this?

beast780

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By beast780

So, with all the Rock Band DLC I've bought (*cough A LOT), in a way I feel I've also donated to Stephen Colberts Super PAC. Thanks Alex, I feel better now! :)

SharkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SharkMan

politics on my favorite gaming site, what next

wsowen02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By wsowen02

This was an article that needed to be written

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TruthTellah

@Methodis said:

@TruthTellah said:

@Methodis said:

This may be true, but Viacom earns money from advertising and the Colbert Show itself, which uses the Super PAC to draw in viewers, which this CEO contributed to!

The Super PAC doesn't run ads for the show. It runs anti-Super PAC ads for the sake of showing the farce in such organizations. Like running a political campaign to show the farce in many campaigns.

The CEO of Harmonix can contribute to whatever he likes. Stephen Colbert =/= Viacom. Supporting Stephen Colbert's efforts doesn't mean we support everything the company that owns his show has ever done. No more than buying some gas means we support everything a big oil company does. And even then, that's -more- of a direct support of a corporation than supporting Stephen Colbert's Super PAC.

Hate Harmonix or hate Viacom, it doesn't make a difference. This is an individual citizen contributing his money to a cause, not a corporation. He believes in it, and while we may agree or not agree with his choice, it's his choice and an interesting one at that. I don't know if its particularly note-worthy, but it's certainly interesting.

ShinyTan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ShinyTan

Jesus Christ you guys this article is 180 words long, what are you so mad about? You never had to read it in the first place!

Kandycane2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Kandycane2029
    @Methodis: I really can't tell if you're trolling or not.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#38  Edited By Claude

I would give a penny for Cobert's thoughts.

MJames70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MJames70

Hard to tell what is sadder - the people that think Colbert is funny, or that an idiot giving money to another idiot is a valid news story....

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By Enigma777

I, too, love Colbert. If I was a woman, I'd have his children.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Claude
    @Enigma777 said:

I, too, love Colbert. If I was a woman, I'd have his children.

I'll fuck you Enigma.
    benson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By benson

@Kandycane2029 said:

@Methodis: I really can't tell if you're trolling or not.

From what I understand, years ago a forum on wich Methodis used to post got closed because of Harmonix and it completely broke his mind. He also got himself banned from the SomethingAwful forums multiple times because he can't stop flipping the fuck out every time Harmonix is mentioned.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Sooty

Guy associated with gaming does something.

NEWS!

patrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44  Edited By patrick

@MJames70 said:

Hard to tell what is sadder - the people that think Colbert is funny, or that an idiot giving money to another idiot is a valid news story....

So close.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By prestonhedges

I'm looking forward to the game that's coming out. Oh, wait...

Johntdrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Johntdrake

I guess the more popular the bomb gets, the more trolly some of the comments become? Some really headscratching theories banging around.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Draxyle

I love what Stephen Colbert is doing. The Super Pac fiasco is beyond ridiculous and there's not enough rage over how much it's destroyed our politics in such a short period of time.

Don't care if this is only partially related to videogames, it's more important than that.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Johntdrake said:

I guess the more popular the bomb gets, the more trolly some of the comments become? Some really headscratching theories banging around.

Come on Drake, you aren't fooling anyone. I know you and your dancing simulators are attempting to usher in a new world order in which all problems are solved through dance battles.
    Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I came here for the news story.

I stayed for the @Methodis being out of his fucking mind with irrational contempt.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#50  Edited By Undeadpool

@President_Barackbar said:

@Johntdrake said:

Come on Drake, you aren't fooling anyone. I know you and your dancing simulators are attempting to usher in a new world order in which all problems are solved through dance battles.

...I would live in that World Order.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.