Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alice: Madness Returns

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

Alice is back, and so is her fragile grasp on reality. She must journey through both Victorian London and the dark world of Wonderland to retain her sanity and find out the truth behind her family's deaths, in this long-awaited sequel to American McGee's Alice.

IGN review is up

• 98 results
    UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By UlquioKani
    @ChickenPants: Super Mario Galaxy (This is my guess)
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By iamjohn
    @UlquioKani
    What is with all the IGN hate, they aren't that bad
    They reall are.
    UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By UlquioKani
    @iAmJohn said:
    @UlquioKani
    They reall are.
    Their review scores are usually a pinch higher than more reviewers but they usually give about the same score as most other publications.
    phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By phrosnite
    @iAmJohn said:
    @UlquioKani
    They reall are.
    Remember when they thought that there was something inside the stone egg that Ubisoft had sent them for Splinter Cell: Conviction? They tried to break it open... Monkeys I tell you, monkeys.
    Camosid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Camosid

@phrosnite: I dunno. Think about how ridiculous ad campaigns and other nonsense have gotten. I think that was a fair assumption.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By UlquioKani
    @phrosnite said:
    @iAmJohn said:
    @UlquioKani
    They reall are.
    Remember when they thought that there was something inside the stone egg that Ubisoft had sent them for Splinter Cell: Conviction? They tried to break it open... Monkeys I tell you, monkeys.
    http://www.giantbomb.com/giant-bomb-mailbag-crate-barrel-edition/17-1580/ 
    Here, the Bombsquad fail to realize the box has a lid and busts into the top. People can make mistakes or be led to believe something
    phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By phrosnite
    @Camosid said:

@phrosnite: I dunno. Think about how ridiculous ad campaigns and other nonsense have gotten. I think that was a fair assumption.

No, it wasn't. How stupid can one be and not think of the phrase "set in stone". There was the release date of the game on the stone. But IGN were like "No, there is candy inside that polished stone that is shaped like an egg. Let's break it!"
    Camosid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Camosid

@UlquioKani said:

@phrosnite said:
    @iAmJohn said:
    @UlquioKani
    They reall are.
    http://www.giantbomb.com/giant-bomb-mailbag-crate-barrel-edition/17-1580/ Here, the Bombsquad fail to realize the box has a lid and busts into the top. People can make mistakes or be led to believe something

I personally smash everything open. Sadly I often break game discs that way, but it's worth it in the end.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By iamjohn
    @UlquioKani
    @iAmJohn said:
    @UlquioKani
    They reall are.
    Their review scores are usually a pinch higher than more reviewers but they usually give about the same score as most other publications.
    They also are the gravest offenders of awful writing and idiotic review policies (the 7-10 scale, that unnecessary score granularity that they've thankfully gotten rid of) that make most games writing such a fucking joke.
    Camosid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Camosid

@phrosnite: I probably wouldn't have thought of that. Some people just don't notice things like that, they just slip your mind on occasion. Also. The quest for candy is one that has many casualties. I mourn for the egg, but any small chance of candy is one worth breaking things for.

TrottyVek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 7

#61  Edited By TrottyVek

i was excited for a bit, then when i started seeing the gameplay videos it seemed pretty mediocre. i can see me getting it on gamefly and returning it in a few days.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By UlquioKani
    @iAmJohn said:

@UlquioKani

@iAmJohn said:

@UlquioKani
    They reall are.
    They also are the gravest offenders of awful writing and idiotic review policies (the 7-10 scale, that unnecessary score granularity that they've thankfully gotten rid of) that make most games writing such a fucking joke.
    The majority of game review sites don't use the full scale, this is why the threshold for "Critical Acclaim" on metacritic for games is higher than movies, music and tv. I'm not saying that this is right but they are not the only ones guilty and their reviews are not jokes. Take a bit of time to read the reviews, they inform you on the game pretty well. Their writing is on par with Giant Bomb in many ways, they just have less humour 
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#63  Edited By wrighteous86

@phrosnite said:

@Laketown said:

@phrosnite said:

@Camosid said:

@Grimace: I agree. Shouldn't 7 mean the game functions and presents some decent mechanics. Sounds to me like the game works well enough to allow you to enjoy the atmosphere, enviroments, and story. Hell even a 6.5 I would take as the game just has a few major flaws and is maybe a bit repetative.

Anything below 8 means rental(consoles) or "wait for huge price drop" for us PC gamers. These games aren't worth full price. Not to mention that Alice looked for fucking promising. The game looked like a 8.5+. Kevin even said that the old game is superior to the new one.

lol you care about review scores

everybody shit on alpha protocol but I paid the full 50 and felt great about doing so, so...

I have yet to buy a game below 8 which is worth the $50.

Weren't you one of the people that loved Dragon Age 2?

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By phrosnite
    @Wrighteous86: Yes, but I bought it for the PC and it has 82% from 45 reviews. *cough* not to mention that Kevin game it an 8 and IGN an 8.5
    theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#65  Edited By theoldhouse
    @phrosnite: This month has been terrible 

Hunted, duke nukem, alice, red faction. I mean not all bad but None of them as good as they could and should have been. At least infamous 2 is good I hear.

I'm pretty much betting the other releases this month will suck too. Fear 3 and dungeon siege will fall victim to the june curse!¬ 

god I hope shadows of the damned isn't a victime.
    Camosid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Camosid

@theoldhouse: I played the demo of Dungeon Siege III. That games feels wierd. Enemies don't react like at all when you hit them. It's like it exsist in some wierd place between Neverwinter Knights and Diablo.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By phrosnite
    @theoldhouse: Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed. So many sequels failed to live up to the expectations...

@Camosid said:

@theoldhouse: I played the demo of Dungeon Siege III. That games feels wierd. Enemies don't react like at all when you hit them. It's like it exsist in some wierd place between Neverwinter Knights and Diablo.

Yeap, we can add this to the disappointments even though it hasn't come out yet. Man, I loved Dungeon Siege 2. I'm not even going to bother with 3.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@Chop said:
    Meh...about what I expected. I'm not sure where the random hype for this game is coming from, the first Alice was kinda crummy.
    It's a cult classic though.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By iamjohn
    @UlquioKani Ask me if I care that other sites have completely busted scales. That doesn't make it okay for IGN to do it too. You'd think that as the biggest video game site on the web they'd be trying to push for better content since their asses can afford it. Nope!

Also, I have never been shy in saying that I don't think the Bombsquad are the best writers, but even they wouldn't be caught dead with the shut IGN does. That god awful Dead Space 2 review that sounds like a twelve-year-old wrote it (or any of their other terribad reviews)? That "fake or gay" article from a month or two back? They're basically everything Jaffe was ranting about on one of the E3 podcasts of sites that claim to be professionals but come off no different from clickbaiting fanboys.
    Camosid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Camosid

@theoldhouse: Also just a side note. We all know Shadows of the Damned isn't going to be a great game, but it will be Suda and I am sure it will be enjoyable in that way.

theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By theoldhouse

Sad times. 

All these games need to go down in price a ton before I even consider buying them 

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#72  Edited By sameeeeam
    @atomic_dumpling said:
    @Chop said:
    Meh...about what I expected. I'm not sure where the random hype for this game is coming from, the first Alice was kinda crummy.
    Yup, there were a bunch of people who liked that game.
    phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By phrosnite
    @Underachiever007 said:
    @atomic_dumpling said:
    @Chop said:
    Yup, there were a bunch of people who liked that game.
    Speaking of cult classics... Beyond Good & Evil. Michel Ancel said that the sequel was planned for the next gen consoles so we should stop expecting any info for the next 2-3 years.
    theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By theoldhouse
    @Camosid:  

Yeah suda can't make good gameplay but the dude who made resident evil 4 can. If it plays exactly like that I'll be pretty happy. 

On paper its like my ideal game and the videos look good but I really fear it being repetitive and having retarded puzzles.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#75  Edited By Enigma777

Joystiq gave it 3 and a half stars.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By UlquioKani
    @iAmJohn said:
    @UlquioKani Ask me if I care that other sites have completely busted scales. That doesn't make it okay for IGN to do it too. You'd think that as the biggest video game site on the web they'd be trying to push for better content since their asses can afford it. Nope! Also, I have never been shy in saying that I don't think the Bombsquad are the best writers, but even they wouldn't be caught dead with the shut IGN does. That god awful Dead Space 2 review that sounds like a twelve-year-old wrote it (or any of their other terribad reviews)? That "fake or gay" article from a month or two back? They're basically everything Jaffe was ranting about on one of the E3 podcasts of sites that claim to be professionals but come off no different from clickbaiting fanboys.
    Firstly, as I stated before, I never said that the review score scale was acceptable. As for the Dead Space 2 reviews, that seems like a competent review (I checked it out just now to make sure). The Gay or Fake article was a bit of light heartedness. Gaming doesn't have to be completely serious, its probably one of the reasons I visit the Giant Bomb the most. We should probably stop this argument as we are not going to change our opinions and we are getting off topic
    Pandasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Pandasaurus

6.5/10 is not a bad score!!! that means there is more good than bad!!! 6.5 is a good score!! GAHHH!

The fact that no-one buys any game that gets below an 8 is exactly why every game is like COD, if you lampoon games that didn't get "editor's choice" then you are not allowed to complain about game stagnantation

Camosid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Camosid

@Enigma777: Woah. Reading the Joystiq review makes me excited to get home after I am done not paying attention to advanced Java GUI and play. Sounds actually pretty neat there.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By UlquioKani
    @JazzyJeff said:

I'm not familiar with the 7-10 review scale everyone is talking about. Could someone clue me in?

Gaming reviews are weird and kinda stupid because a lot of publications don't use the full scale and therefore 7/10 is average and 5/10 is very bad. Sometimes they go below this but only when a game is atrocious.
    Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Hunkulese

@solh0und said:

6.5/10 Agree or Disagree? I'm very excited about the game so i personally disagree.

Um what? You think the game received too low a score because you are very excited about it? What is your criteria for reviewing a game?

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#81  Edited By Jadeskye

@Getz said:

IGN is staffed by monkeys.

Pretty much this.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#82  Edited By AssInAss

Nothing in that review stops me from buying it, looks great. I'm more into Alice for the story, nice to hear the combat and platforming have improved and got depth to them.  

Don't know why it got a low score, complaining about invisible walls when this generation is full of scripted games that do that? I don't mind graphical inconsistencies, it doesn't have that kind of $50 million budget.  

And getting to walk around Victorian London?! I'm in!  

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Vexxan

Still looking forward to this game a lot. '

Score ain't everything...especially not from that place.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#84  Edited By Gizmo

I expected as much, just looks like another 'goth' adaptation of Alice in Wonderland strapped into a hack and slash platformer. That ship sailed a long time ago, who is actually interested in that thematically anymore? Paramore fans?

"Man, Lewis Caroll must have been so stoned when he wrote Alice in Wonderland! Only drugs can lead to such imagination and creativity!" 

Le sigh.

Rant over.

Camosid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Camosid

@Gizmo: I thought Lewis Caroll was on morphine or something at some point, but yea I see what you mean. the visuals still appeal to me for some reason. Can't escape it I also still like zombies. These are two things I have liked for quite a long time and I don't think will be going away because of popular opinion.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By ghost_cat

Like the first one, I think this game is made specifically for a niche crowd who are into it.  Many critics will not rate it so high, like the first game, but there are people like me who will purchase and eat it up.  Besides, kinda like DNF, a lot of people lost hope that a sequel would rise from the first one, so the thought of finally being able to play it is exciting.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#87  Edited By Zippedbinders
    @Gizmo said:
    I expected as much, just looks like another 'goth' adaptation of Alice in Wonderland strapped into a hack and slash platformer. That ship sailed a long time ago, who is actually interested in that thematically anymore? Paramore fans?
    Maybe people just like it? People are perfectly capable of liking things you don't like. I think there's just way too much back rage over people who were mad Tim Burton made another movie.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Sooty

How can you disagree with the reviewer without playing it?

Though that said IGN are terrible.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By DonPixel

I been looking forward to it.. but It doesn´t seems to be that great to be honest

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#90  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

American McGee doesn't have a good track record and it seems to continue. At least it ain't as bad.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Damn, I really wanted to believe.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By valrog
    @benjaebe said:

Fuck review scores.

Aye.
    GiveUpNed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By GiveUpNed

@solh0und said:

6.5/10 Agree or Disagree? I'm very excited about the game so i personally disagree.

I'm grabbing it for the pc. The Xbox 360 metacritic is 69 and the user score is ~8. The PC version scored much higher at 7.9 with 9.5 user score. It probably looks/runs better on the PC.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#94  Edited By OllyOxenFree

@Gizmo said:

Le sigh.

Oh, fuck you.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#95  Edited By ReyGitano

@Getz said:

IGN is staffed by monkeys.

That's an insult to monkeys. At least monkeys can be cute and funny.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By SomeDeliCook

The game is alright. The gameplay itself gets repetitive and parts of it just drag on. But the world itself more than makes up for it. So much creepy weird shit going on.

Oh, and London creeped me out more than any other game. Except maybe Call of Cthulhu, a game I refuse to play anymore.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#97  Edited By Marz

From what i saw in the quicklook,  there's nothing really exciting about it's combat or brilliant about it's platforming.   So i can see how some reviewers gave it average scores.   It has a cool art style though.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By niamahai

WARNING: PC version is locked @ 30fps. Gotta alter value in the config file to get 60fps

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.