Is this worth it at $15?

• 61 results
#1 Posted by burnin_squirrrl (56 posts) -

There's a steam sale going on for this for the weekend deal for $15. I enjoyed the first Alice when I played it way back when and saw this one got quite mixed reviews. Just wanted to see how the community feels about it.

#2 Posted by TimFReilly (98 posts) -

If you liked the first one, this is much better. The gameplay is quite nice and the story is not bad at all.

#3 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

Yes.

#4 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

I thought the gameplay was a bit boring, but the atmosphere was great, if not spread a bit too thin.

Wishing I had waited for this deal though...

#5 Posted by BeachThunder (11960 posts) -

Yes! I thought the game was great.

The gameplay, the environment/enemy design, story are all great. The mini games are all pretty awful though, and there are quite a few of them too D:

Also, just keep in mind that in order to play at ~60 FPS you might have to edit an .ini file.

#6 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

Yes. For $15 it's well worth it, also the PC is the best version.

#7 Posted by BeachThunder (11960 posts) -
@msavo said:
Yes. For $15 it's well worth it, also the PC is the best version.
Probably the best PhysX I've seen :D
#8 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

jesus, only 15$? Looks like im buying another steam game!

#9 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

yes, I had a lot of fun with it

#10 Posted by thechronodarkness (294 posts) -

If only i could run it. A friend of mine has a similar hardware setup almost the exact same. We can both run the original crysis, on mostly medium/high settings. But, he can't get alice to run at all with a decent framerate. It requires a pretty decent modern puter. Gosh, i almost want to buy it on the pc though, and wait until i get a decent rig later on. But, all depends on how massive this download is

#11 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Yes. Not to mention that you're a fan of the first game too, so there's really no possible counterargument as to why wouldn't you enjoy it.

#12 Posted by TwoLines (2811 posts) -

Huh... 15 bucks? I'm in.

Oh wait. No thanks.

#13 Posted by Axersia (1615 posts) -
Oh by all means, yes, go for it. It's my personal favorite game of the year (though Dark Souls might change that when I pick it up), and I found it to be an overall better experience than the original.

Also, be sure to play the game on Nightmare if you're looking for a challenge. I figured Hard Mode would do the trick but it ended up being a total cakewalk. Not that it matters too much though as the combat sequences make up such a small portion of the game.
#14 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

@TwoLines: It's one thing when they pull a 1 Dollar = 1 Euro nonsense, but this is too much.

#15 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

That game is kinda meh.

#16 Edited by sixpin (1292 posts) -

@TwoLines: Hey, duder. I think that there is something wrong with your screen. The letters are all jumbled up.

Edit: In all seriousness though, I like the game pretty well. If anyone is itching from some older platforming type action go for it.

#17 Posted by Vonocourt (2130 posts) -

Yep, but I suggest playing it in chunks. Can get pretty tedious otherwise.

#18 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4680 posts) -

I payed full price and don't regret it.

#19 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

I would've bought it for 15e but it's 25 for whatever reason. It's 19,90 over at Origin, I guess EA's trying to herd euros there.

Not going to happen.

#20 Posted by zaglis (910 posts) -

Only get this if you have a controller, mouse controls are absolutely awful.

#21 Posted by TwoLines (2811 posts) -

@sixpin said:

@TwoLines: Hey, duder. I think that there is something wrong with your screen. The letters are all jumbled up.

I know, I've tried everything but it stays messed up. Don't worry though, I can read that shit.

#22 Posted by Vitamin_Dei (188 posts) -

I picked it up after watching the Quick Look and don't regret it thus far. Maybe I have a different set of expectations for fifteen bucks, but I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Didn't have more than a passing curiosity about it when it released, but I'm really pretty glad I picked it up.

#23 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

It's worth the full price.

#24 Posted by DeF (4894 posts) -

for $15, of course! any (full price) game that got at least "good" reviews is worth 15 bucks

#25 Posted by eschatonik (20 posts) -

@burnin_squirrrl: I picked it up this weekend. Total steal at $15. Looks great with a little bit of occasional chop on my Phenom II X4 965@3.4GHz/8 GB RAM/nVidia GTX 460 1GB @1080p. Definitely play with a controller if you can, very good XBOX Controller for PC support and as @zaglis says above, it's a bit bit wonky w/ mouse+kb, particularly the lock on aiming.

#26 Posted by AjayRaz (12428 posts) -

oh, how i wish i had a good PC ><

#27 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

Absolutely! That game is quite good.

#28 Posted by Rowr (5673 posts) -

Stupid game crashes at the loading screen >:

I uninstalled it. My experience was a waste of 25 bucks. I hear its not bad though.

#29 Edited by BisonHero (6545 posts) -

@TwoLines said:

Huh... 15 bucks? I'm in.

Oh wait. No thanks.

Is 50 euros the price of a new game in your region? If so, it's ridiculous that Steam still hasn't given that game a price drop in your region.

For North American Steam users, the game has been dropped down to 30 US dollars (from 50), for some time, I think.

#30 Posted by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -

It was something I wanted to see but nothing I thought I'd finish, but I'm actually really blown away at how much I'm digging it.

Standing at a cliff edge with an insane vista of teapot-clockwork in the distance and the most god-damn incredible looking hair whipping in the wind has been worth it for me alone.

#31 Posted by DougQuaid (1274 posts) -

I bought this on a whim last night and I'm so glad I did because this game is fucking fantastic.

It's still on sale until tomorrow morning (10am PST). If your PC can run it, GO BUY IT NOW.

#32 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

@Rowr said:

Stupid game crashes at the loading screen >:

I uninstalled it. My experience was a waste of 25 bucks. I hear its not bad though.

this sounds like your computer is at fault, not the game :D Or maybe you needed to reinstall it as your first could have been corrupted somehow.

This game so far has been worth all 15$ That I have paid. Not very far but it has been fun none the less.

#33 Posted by Commisar123 (1793 posts) -

I would say very much so, its real cool and is fun to play.

#34 Posted by bybeach (4834 posts) -

I bought it at full price still have to play it. But at this point in time, I do not regret it. I didn't know I'd lag, and I heard that remark about using a controller. Will do.

#35 Posted by Vitamin_Dei (188 posts) -

re: Controller. I'd in the middle of chapter 3 right now, and about 50% completion. Been using the M&K the entire time* and I think the controls are just fine. I remapped lock-on to my mouse's thumb button and then quickly adapted to everything else. The controls aren't bad.

* Did plug one in to check them briefly. Had my usual PC gamer difficulties with a controller, wildly swinging the camera around and feeling out of my element. Looks like it maps directly to the Xbox controls if you plug a 360 controller in, though. Which seems nice for those who want it.

#36 Posted by RuneseekerMireille (325 posts) -

In my opinion, it was worth it at $60.

Just get it.

#37 Edited by DougQuaid (1274 posts) -

The Steam sale is over, but I'm guessing you can still get the game for $12 on Origin (coupon code ORIGIN60) and for $15 from Amazon.

#38 Posted by Errordotocx (119 posts) -

Yes.

I paid full price for it and thought it was great!

#39 Posted by spankingaddict (2674 posts) -

Sure, but get ready to do some repetitive stuff... The 2nd half of the game gets really old.

#40 Posted by Vitamin_Dei (188 posts) -

@DougQuaid said:

The Steam sale is over, but I'm guessing you can still get the game for $12 on Origin (coupon code ORIGIN60) and for $15 from Amazon.

I took my CD key from the Steam purchase and also activated it on Origin. It probably serves no purpose at all given that mmost EA games use online activation, but it was interesting that I could do it. I also registered my ME2, Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition and Burnout Paradise. Redundancy is pretty cool.

#41 Posted by burnin_squirrrl (56 posts) -

I actually ended up buying it and am having a pretty good time with it so far (just beat Batman a couple days ago so good timing.) Using a controller seems to be working out well and also edited the engine file so it's running at 60 fps and looks fantastic!

#42 Posted by WMoyer83 (643 posts) -

I think this game is extremely underrated.

#43 Posted by Demoskinos (14851 posts) -

Yes get it. Also, as a bonus you get access to a Orgin copy of the game as well. And heads up you DO have to have a Orgin/EA account to play the game.

#44 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

I purchased my copy for £15. Worth it for me.

#45 Posted by mtcantor (948 posts) -

No. This game is terrible. Spend your money on anything else. Literally anything. Get Bad Day L.A. if you have to.

#46 Posted by Vexxan (4621 posts) -

I bought it for full price whe it was released and I don't regret a single second of it, loved every bit of that game.

#47 Posted by fox01313 (5073 posts) -

Yes. Played it on the 360 at launch & is quite a lovely looking game, the gameplay isn't all that great but the setting & overall art style of the game makes it quite a gem.

#48 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@burnin_squirrrl:

Being a huge fan of the first game, I was a bit disappointed by it. I expected it to be much darker, but it goes more into the fantasy direction. But for 15 bucks, sure, give it a try :)

#49 Posted by psylah (2177 posts) -

Yes but the game is pretty long.

Like you will be playing a level and you will think it should be wrapping up soon, and it will go for two or three more hours.

#50 Posted by RazielCuts (2955 posts) -

Its funny what perspective can do but $15/£7.49 seems kind of expensive to be in the Steam Sale, considering as well the game came out a year ago.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.