Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alice: Madness Returns

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

Alice is back, and so is her fragile grasp on reality. She must journey through both Victorian London and the dark world of Wonderland to retain her sanity and find out the truth behind her family's deaths, in this long-awaited sequel to American McGee's Alice.

So...

Scarz09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Scarz09

My copy is on the way, and I want to know from you guys who have played it, is it actually good?. I watched the quicklook and really liked what I saw but I have also heard alot of negative things about it. 

Thanks.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Yanngc33

My copy's on its way too! Ryan seems to have liked it so it must be good!

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By valrog

I'll be picking this up shortly, will let you know (PC version).

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By bicycleham
    @valrog said:
    I'll be picking this up shortly, will let you know (PC version).
    I've heard the visuals on the PC version were toned down for lower end PC's.
    EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By EuanDewar

Certainly hope its good. Looking for something new to play and I sure as hell don't want to dive into Duke Nukem.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Vexxan

In my eyes it looks a lot like a Zelda game and I'm loving it. Getting my copy in a few days, can barely wait :x

Avatar image for coheedfavorhouse
    CoheedFavorHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By CoheedFavorHouse

im about two hours into the 360 version, and i'm having a lot of fun. it's not really my style game, but its surprisingly addicting.

duskvamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By duskvamp

I didn't think it would be my kind of game until I saw the quick look. Now I really want to try it out. But I've got loads of games to catch up on so I can wait til it drops in price a bit.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By wrighteous86

@Vegsen said:

In my eyes it looks a lot like a Zelda game and I'm loving it. Getting my copy in a few days, can barely wait :x

If it's anything like the first one, it's more Ratchet and Clank than Zelda. I enjoyed the first one, though. I'll probably get around to this one eventually.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By RichardLOlson

I'm hearing it a lot better then DNF.  I'm gonna read and watch some reviews for this game and see if its worth picking up.

ascholzk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ascholzk

I'm almost finished with the game and so far its absolutely worth $60. pretty long, really nice art style and story, and the platforming is satisfying. I say go for it.

streetninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By streetninja

I'm in the middle of the third chapter at the moment and it is a pretty good game, just not a great one. The story, music, voice work and art so far are top notch and I don't expect a drop-off in any of those departments. The only negative with the game is the combat. It isn't that the combat is bad, it is serviceable, but it just doesn't quite stack up to the other parts, which are fantastic in my opinion. I don't know how they could improve the combat, because I actually like how basic it is, but I almost feel that the combat itself is like a filler. Maybe it is that I just don't think the weapons really work like I want them to, they throw a bit too many enemies at once, or the occasional camera problems that all action based fighting games have when you're fighting in a small space. 

I don't really think it is that big of a deal but some of the clipping problems I'm getting when I walk after going from small Alice to normal sized Alice are a bit annoying.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By napalm
    @RichardLOlson said:
    I'm hearing it a lot better then DNF.  
    wtf
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Yanngc33 said:

My copy's on its way too! Ryan seems to have liked it so it must be good!

What the hell is this bullshit?
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DonPixel

@RichardLOlson said:

I'm hearing it a lot better then DNF. I'm gonna read and watch some reviews for this game and see if its worth picking up.

Well you know: Ain´t hard to improve on shit

I´m getting it for the PC boxed version, Gameplay doesn´t look to Hot, But Im loving the artstyle.

Good enough for me.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Zippedbinders

You know, with all of the Origin nonsense, I wonder if EA's real goal was to get people to buy retail discs again for PC games.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DonPixel

@Zippedbinders: They sure got me duder -> Pre Order ME3 se, BF3 and Alice Retail in Amazon last week.

Spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Spark

@Xolare: I've heard the visuals on the PC version were toned down for lower end PC's.

The game looks absolutely fantastic on my PC, so I don't think that's true. In particular the PhysX effects are some of the best I've seen in a videogame. It has interactive liquids like slime, ground shatters from mallet hits, volumetric smoke from guns and explosion and lots of atmospheric things like leaves, paper, rocks and petals are generated in the level. It's pretty straining on my GPU but damn it looks pretty.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Marz

If you can use Phys X then it should look extra good on the PC.

woodroez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By woodroez

@Wrighteous86 said:

@Vegsen said:

If it's anything like the first one, it's more Ratchet and Clank than Zelda. I enjoyed the first one, though. I'll probably get around to this one eventually.

A pretty good assessment. You pick up some new weapons here and there in the early going, but you are not going to get something like a hookshot that changes the way you interact with the world substantially. Much more focus on platforming than a Zelda game.

@Scarz09 said:

My copy is on the way, and I want to know from you guys who have played it, is it actually good?. I watched the quicklook and really liked what I saw but I have also heard alot of negative things about it. Thanks.

I just got into the third chapter yesterday morning and am excited to get back into it. I like the feel of the combat and love the platforming.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By C0V3RT

I don't know if I'm enjoying this or not. At times I'm feeling really compelled to continue and at other times I feel like I'm platform grinding for the hell of it. Along those same lines the art style and tone of the environments have me in awe, only to have me wanting to see more variety because you're stuck in each chapter for a good chunk of time.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By valrog

So, does the PC version include the original or not? I'm going to pick this up tomorrow if I have time and Steam doesn't mention anything.

Oginam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Oginam

@C0V3RT: By the end, the platforming felt like it goes on a wee bit too long (although seeing the worlds, in retrospect, is well worth it). But it is worth dealing with for the eventual story payoff.

If you've been paying attention to the coverage for Papa and Yo (the game about a child and his monster friend who's addicted to eating frogs) and how that game is pushing into topics that games rarely touch on; let me just say that Alice touches on far darker things that substance abuse. I'll be real disappointed if this game isn't remembered for best story by the time GB does its awards this year - just so Jeff, Vinny, and Brad have to play this game and have a discussion about how crazy and dark the story gets.

Short Version: One of the best stories in a video game with some very minor problems with combat and platforming (par for course in a platforming game though).

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Rhaknar

just started chapter 4 (which is by far the best according to...everyone) and i like it a lot so far, solid 4/5 pretty much like ryan said. But, like ryan, i too love the art style and the universe, i guess if you dont the game isnt half as good. Also, something that every review says, good or bad, is totally true. The levels DO drag on, they are way too big. The game could have been around 10 hours perfectly, with tighter levels. Oh well, it doesnt bother me because like i said i like the universe (and how it plays tbh) but i can see how it could be a nagging point (and it is in many reviews)

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By MEATBALL

Ryan's assessment is pretty spot on, I feel. I think it's a really enjoyable game with some quirks and pacing issues, but the combat and art direction really shine and as someone who's always down for some platforming I really enjoy most of it, even if a lot of said platforming is a bit unremarkable.

@Oginam: I haven't finished it yet, but the story is picking up just having completed Chapter 4. Dark subject matter aside, unless it does something amazing in the last couple of chapters I don't think this game will be winning any awards for its storytelling. I don't think it's presented very well and trudges along a little bit aimlessly to begin with. That's not to say it's without merit, I'm enjoying the story, particularly now that things are starting to come together but I think the game does its story a disservice at times with its implementation, pacing and presentation.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#27  Edited By Lazyaza

I reviewed it for a site I'm writing for and thought it was very good.   The art style and the setting are the best parts, made me wish I had played the original when it was new.   I imagine some people might think its all combat based on the vids but the majority of the game is actually good old fun platforming and basic puzzle solving.   My only gripe was a lack of ledge grab on Alice's part, would have made the platforming that much better for me since I suck at timing jumps.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DonPixel

@Scarz09: I'm loving it - Art direction and Visuals worth it... The gameplay and "platforming" are so so. Other than that there is not much to say.

Khadyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Khadyn

I'm getting it soon...just trying to decide if I want the X360 or PS3 copy.

mowgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By mowgers

It's certainly not without caveats, camera can be frustrating, the game design is very straightforward and sometimes the story feels a little disjointed (honestly though, I could hear an argument for that last point being intentional). However, the game's strength is in its art direction and it looks absolutely incredible. Actual technical graphics aren't anything special but it really owns its style. The only thing that really bugs me is how difficult concept art is to unlock...

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#31  Edited By galiant

YOUR VAGUE TITLE IS MISLEADING I AM NOT INTERESTED IN THIS TOPIC.

I'm out.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By emergency

Can't wait for this to drop down to like £15 for pc, i'll happily snap it up then. As of right now I am too poor.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Cloudenvy

As already mentioned by some, this sounds like a game I'd happily pick up at lower price.

Oginam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Oginam

@MEATBALL: I kind of wrote the pacing off as a problem of the platforming/collectible hunting part of the game, but I see your point.

Once you beat the game, go back and listen to all the memories you've found. Some of them, even from the very start of the game, are far more relevant to the main storyline than they may have appeared.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.