Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alien: Isolation

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Oct 07, 2014

A survival horror game set fifteen years after the original Alien film. It stars Amanda Ripley, the daughter of the film's protagonist, Ellen Ripley.

Better with film grain turned off? Am I the only one...

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FrostyRyan

Confession time: I haven't even encountered the damn alien yet, so there's some perspective on how little I am into this game. Now with that being said, I found the film grain effect to be a little....irritating. So much so, that I turned it completely down in the options.

Wow the game looks 5 times nicer. I'm actually finding myself a LOT more immersed in the atmosphere and environment after turning it off. Am I insane and alone with that? I feel bad because the grain is obviously the intended experience. I always like to retain the developer's intended experience when playing a game. (For example, I'm playing D4 with Kinect)

With this though, man I don't know. The game looks MUCH better and immersive without the grain and I've actually rather enjoyed grain effects in other games I've played before. With this PARTICULAR game, it's different with me for some reason. I'm no grain effect hater and I'm no alien to the grain effect in games. I've experienced it before, I'm not clueless. Here though, I prefer it off. Anyone else?

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I agree with you. I've never liked grain (or blur for that matter)

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I turned it completely off in L4D, because it feels pretentious and adds nothing.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I really like the film grain in this but don't in any other game. It just fits.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By cornbredx

From footage I've seen of the game the film grain seems fine.

That being said- this thread reminds me of Mass Effect. I remember hating the way film grain looked in that game and always turning it off.

Anyway, it's a "to each their own" thing assuming the film grain is being used well. The whole point of the film grain in this game is to try to match the way the original movie looked which is one of those movies that (if you're a film nut like me) looks better on VHS. Much like Evil Dead... or most classic films of the 70s and 80s really.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I turned it off in L4D and ME as well, so I wouldn't find it too hard to imagine.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole point of the film grain in this game is to try to match the way the original movie looked which is one of those movies that (if you're a film nut like me) looks better on VHS. Much like Evil Dead... or most classic films of the 70s and 80s really.

I'm a "film nut" and I prefer my movies to have the best quality picture and sound available.

But I understand things that use grain as a creative choice.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@corevi said:

I really like the film grain in this but don't in any other game. It just fits.

Yeah, that was my thought too :|

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

If it's anything like the film grain in Mass Effect than I'll turn it off, boy did that effect in Mass Effect make the game look like crap.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Hmm to be honest I can't really tell the difference but I am usually against film grain so I turned it off. Looking real close j can see it so it's pretty subtle but if you want it crystal clear, best turn it off

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By ThunderSlash

I usually turn off film grain in PC games. It's just too apparent when you are that close to the monitor. The grain in The Bureau was especially nauseating.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I've been playing with it turned all the way up. I don't normally like it in games, but it seems to fit the aesthetic they're going for so well. It's really noticeable when looking out into space, and it looks great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.