I'm impressed! Alien Swarm is awesome.

• 0 results
#-49 Posted by Trnck (448 posts) -

Fuck I'm not home yet I want to download the hat (and the awesome game as well)

#-48 Posted by Fallen189 (5050 posts) -
@Trnck said:
" Fuck I'm not home yet I want to download the hat (and the awesome game as well) "
Wait there's a gane? I thought it was a 2gb hat download?
#-47 Posted by gike987 (1771 posts) -
@Vitamin_Dei said:
" @SoothsayerGB said:
"  Decent game.  I like it, a lot.  Reminds me of how Aliens the game should have been.  My only problem is that I'm not a PC gamer, unfortunately.  Not by choice, but because I can't afford to be.  So I'm not used to using the keyboard and mouse this way.  Takes some getting used too.   Gonna try with my 360 or PS3 controller.  Anyone like using a gamepad for this game?  Worse or better?     Protip: Any game that allows strangers to kick you, means you will be trolled. Non-stop. The function is always abused.   Play with friends or solo.  "
re: Control Pad... I initially found the fact that WASD were permamapped to North, South, East and West a little awkward and tried plugging in a wired 360 controller, but the game doesn't seem to recognize or support game pads quite yet (if ever). You might try something like xpadder, but in all honesty you'll probably get the hang of the mouse and keyboard faster than you think. "
They have said that they are working on gamepad support.
#-46 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

Great co-op game, get 3 friends on headsets and it's a blast, kinda short but for free you can't complain. Can't wait for the modders to get hold of it.

I really hope no one tries to review this as a singleplayer game, I might just lose faith in humanity.

#-45 Edited by gike987 (1771 posts) -
@Rasgueado:  I think they made it free to get more people to download steam. That way more people will buy games through Steam and Valve earns more money. Another reason is that they don't want to lose their mod community to UDK.  Bethesda's games aren't comparable to this game because they make RPGs. In RPGs the story is important and only Bethesda can write new story that can be considered canon, so people will still buy it. In this game the story is not important so people will be just as happy with new maps made by other people than Valve, there is a reason MW2 don't have mod tools.

They also gave us the code (like they did with their other games) so people can make total conversion mods. You could make a clone of shadow complex or an Dawn of war 2 like RTS and Valve can't releases DLC for those.
#-44 Posted by FirePrince (1765 posts) -

I am liking the game as well.My steam is FirePrince,add me so that we can play. 
Also,a thread in with all the steam names that play this game wouldn't hurt.Amirite?
#-43 Posted by Shivy (36 posts) -

The game is great!  Props to Valve for giving us something polished and awesome for free. 

I did notice a few game bugs that cropped up, one being that a swarm inexplicably became invincible and hounded our team through the entire level, punching us as we went about our business.  We named him "Stampy".

#-42 Edited by gike987 (1771 posts) -

Lots of people on the steam forums seems to want unlimited ammo and no friendly fire. I hope Valve doesn't listen to that.

#-41 Posted by Paulus (177 posts) -
@gike987 said:
" Lots of people on the steam forums seems to want unlimited ammo and no friendly fire. I hope Valve doesn't listen to that. "
And the people who played the original mod (such as me) find that absolutely horrendous, considering that in the ut2k4 version you only had one ammo crate drop and friendly fire damage was WAY higher (which ended up leading to a lot of accidental shotgun teamkills :p). 
Quite frankly I kinda want the friendly fire dmg to go up a bit, not to the same rate as it was in the original mod but atleast high enough so players actually learn to avoid shooting their teammates and running into someone's line of fire...(there have been occasions where I was standing still and a guy just ran up behind me and started shooting and didn't even think of moving, so instead I had to move...I need some less random people to play this game with -_-").
#-40 Posted by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -
@mracoon said:
" My download is going incredibly slow. I'll leave my PC on overnight and check out the game tomorrow. "
You should make sure that the local server is a city close to you and yeah the game is good, not to mention that you get about 8 achievements in 20 minutes.
#-39 Posted by Slax (961 posts) -

Yeah I enjoyed the little bit I played of it. But I think it would be a whole lot more fun with a few live players.

#-38 Posted by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -

Yeah... I'd play it myself, but my graphics card is crap. And I mean crap. The game shuts itself off whenever I try to fire up a game. =(

#-37 Posted by Tordah (2484 posts) -

So far so good! I can't wait to see more campaigns and maps.

#-36 Posted by Ghostfish (234 posts) -

The game's really good, but there's a few things lacking.  Overly hard swarm points; poorly designed areas where enemies can inescapably trap you; no checkpoints; reload mechanic ripped straight from Gears of War; no items in breakable boxes.

#-35 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

I played like 30 minutes of the offline mode and had no idea how to play the classes. Lack of tutorial is not cool. 

#-34 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

I agree! The game's awesome overall, but when people get the parasites on them they run around like chickens with their heads cut off instead of letting medics heal them.

#-33 Posted by TwoLines (2826 posts) -

People need to learn to stay put when they have a freakin' parasite on their head.

Other people should learn to NOT shoot the guy who has the parasite on their head.

Medics should learn that you heal the guy with the parasite on his head.

That is all.

The game's awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.