Valve made a free game for you to play -

• 52 results
#1 Edited by august (3866 posts) -

A couple years ago Valve hired the folks who made the Alien Swarm mod to work on their various other projects. During that time they slapped together a Source version of the game, with brand new Source engine enhancements to be released alongside. And it also comes with Steamworks integration. And it's free. And you can download it on the 19th.

That's pretty cool!

Store Page: (download/trailer/screens/details)   http://store.steampowered.com/app/630/

Details:

Alien Swarm is a game and Source SDK release from a group of talented designers at Valve who were hired from the Mod community. Available free of charge, the game thrusts players into an epic bug hunt featuring a unique blend of co-op play and squad-level tactics. With your friends, form a squad of four distinct IAF Marine classes. Plan your attack using an unlockable arsenal of weapons with countless loadout configurations against a wide variety of aliens. Blaze your way through an overrun, off-world colony, eradicating the alien infestation in environments ranging from the icy planet’s surface, to a subterranean lava-flooded mining facility.

- Tactical, 4 player co-op action game with a top-down perspective
- Complete game code and mod tools
- Unlock persistent items by gaining levels
- Over 40 weapons and equipment with countless loadout configurations
- 4 unique classes and 8 unique characters
- Matchmaking, Steam Cloud, Steam Stats
- 64 achievements
- Tile-based map generation tool
- Powered by Source and Steam

#2 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I love me some freebies.

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -

Nice!  I like free games.     :)

#4 Posted by august (3866 posts) -

It also comes with the SDK to encourage people to start making their own mods.

Because that's how Valve rolls.

#5 Posted by Kovski (170 posts) -

Gosh have really fond memories of the original mod for UT2k4, Alien Swarm was a better Alien Breed game than the new Alien Breed game ever was. I wonder how good it is on the source engine, wil be fun to find out.

#6 Edited by Ryax (4630 posts) -

wow. i want it. AND i dont have to pay for it! Thanks valve  

#7 Posted by august (3866 posts) -

I wonder if in a few years Valve will make some progress catching up to Epic in terms of engine licenscing.

Probably not, but at least they're trying.

#8 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

That is awesome, never played the original so it will be nice to try it out.

#9 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

This is the best news I've heard all day.

#10 Posted by Clembo (341 posts) -

They want to see how far they can push this engine.  I'm all up for collecting the spoils of rigorous testing.

#11 Posted by august (3866 posts) -

I also have to wonder if id Tech 5 is going to be a comeback for Carmack now that he's not putting so much effort into solving problems that apparently game makers didn't need solved.

#12 Posted by s7evn (1072 posts) -
I loved Alien Swarm and I've been waiting for this release for like 4 years or so. Surprisingly there was a QL of a game very similar to Alien Swarm, though I can't remember which game it was.
#13 Posted by august (3866 posts) -
#14 Posted by Onigenko (335 posts) -

I still love you, Valve. <3 

Now if you'd only release Episode 3 before the world ends, and I'd be even happier.

#15 Posted by jakob187 (21762 posts) -

Awesome!

#16 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

what a nice suprise!

<3 valve

#17 Posted by Venatio (4493 posts) -

Great, and this might be a stupid question but will it have Steam achievements?

I'm new to steam so I haven't figured everything out

#18 Posted by EpicSteve (6499 posts) -

What's it about?

#19 Posted by BeachThunder (12430 posts) -

Cool, not sure if it's my thing though...

#20 Posted by august (3866 posts) -
@Venatio said:
" Great, and this might be a stupid question but will it have Steam achievements?  I'm new to steam so I haven't figured everything out "
Not a dumb question at all seeing as how achievements are on a game-by-game basis. As this game is basically made to show off what Steamworks can do, it will have achievements. 64 of them apparently.

@EpicSteve said:
" What's it about? "
Top down alien shootin'.
#21 Posted by Raakill (845 posts) -

Looks fun, thx Valve.

#22 Posted by jos1ah (325 posts) -

Thanks, Valve! And thanks for the tip, guy. ;)
#23 Posted by Gamer_152 (14111 posts) -

I think this is an awesome way to both encourage more developers to work with Steamworks and provide gamers with a free game. Once again, bravo Valve, I'll definitely be downloading this.

#24 Posted by august (3866 posts) -

Trailer:  http://www.alienswarm.com/

Details:

Alien Swarm is a game and Source SDK release from a group of talented designers at Valve who were hired from the Mod community. Available free of charge, the game thrusts players into an epic bug hunt featuring a unique blend of co-op play and squad-level tactics. With your friends, form a squad of four distinct IAF Marine classes. Plan your attack using an unlockable arsenal of weapons with countless loadout configurations against a wide variety of aliens. Blaze your way through an overrun, off-world colony, eradicating the alien infestation in environments ranging from the icy planet’s surface, to a subterranean lava-flooded mining facility.

- Tactical, 4 player co-op action game with a top-down perspective
- Complete game code and mod tools
- Unlock persistent items by gaining levels
- Over 40 weapons and equipment with countless loadout configurations
- 4 unique classes and 8 unique characters
- Matchmaking, Steam Cloud, Steam Stats
- 64 achievements
- Tile-based map generation tool