Aliens Colonial Marines sold 1.3 M copies?

#1 Edited by Angouri (230 posts) -

I guess the Aliens license was enough, because I sure can't understand how that many people would say "oh yes, broken game? $60."

Well at least it helped Sega not go broke, but still. Who bought this game? And how did he convince his million bros to join in? And how come Timegate still got slammed?

Edit: Source.

#2 Edited by HH (595 posts) -

i don't think your average consumer pays attention to reviews / word on the 'net.

i imagine a lot of people are out buying clothes on a saturday, wander in to game shop, see aliens, go YEAAH, buy it.

#3 Edited by Nikoran (165 posts) -

The combination of false gameplay footage and the Aliens brand name was enough to help it get that much. As HH said, your average consumer usually doesn't pay attention to reviews or opinions from people on the internet.

#4 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2205 posts) -

Didn't stop TimeGate from being shut down and that number is lower than what i was expecting. I hope Sega is careful in future with this license as the Aliens franchise is dear to me and I know a great atmospheric game can be made with the license.

#5 Posted by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -
@nikoran said:

The combination of false gameplay footage and the Aliens brand name was enough to help it get that much. As HH said, your average consumer usually doesn't pay attention to reviews or opinions from people on the internet.

The type of people who watch E3 gameplay footage are the same people who read reviews, browse gaming forums and would have been aware of the issues the game has. It was also well over a year before the game came out, and almost everyone had forgotten about it. Very few people would have bought the game as a result of the E3 footage.

#6 Posted by Ares42 (2552 posts) -

@hh said:

i don't think your average consumer pays attention to reviews / word on the 'net.

i imagine a lot of people are out buying clothes on a saturday, wander in to game shop, see aliens, go YEAAH, buy it.

also, pre-orders etc.

#7 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5160 posts) -

This guy bought a million copies

#8 Edited by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

1.3 million morons, 1.3 million morons everywhere!

/meme

#9 Posted by Wraxend (550 posts) -

Pretty sure the review embargo will have helped the sales to some extent.

#10 Posted by BisonHero (6047 posts) -

Dead Island: Riptide has also been a Steam topseller for...a disappointingly long time. You kind of hope that Steam users are a little more informed than random retail shoppers, but sadly "yo dawg, it got zombies" still makes flawed games sell crazy well.

#11 Edited by Monkeyman04 (998 posts) -

@bisonhero: Yeah, look at what that p.o.s. of a game The Warz did. They were the top seller on Steam for a little bit and it was unplayable (from what I saw videos that people made of it).

#12 Edited by EXTomar (4444 posts) -

You write that as if it matters to you or me or even Sega or Gearbox.

#13 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

@mattyftm: You say that definitely. I know at least a handful of people who watch E3 coverage on Spike and not pay attention to anything else that happens that year. It's hard to generalize!

#14 Posted by probablytuna (3523 posts) -

I suspect a lot of it came from pre-orders people put down who were assuming the final product would be like the work in progress they have been seeing.

#15 Posted by psylah (2161 posts) -

@angouri:

For God's sake, learn this and learn it well:

shipped != sold.

Units shipped by a publisher go to retailers, they sent 1.3m units to retail. There is no guarantee that these made it to end users, and will not have to be bought back by the publisher.

#16 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@mattyftm said:
@nikoran said:

The type of people who watch E3 gameplay footage are the same people who read reviews, browse gaming forums and would have been aware of the issues the game has. It was also well over a year before the game came out, and almost everyone had forgotten about it. Very few people would have bought the game as a result of the E3 footage.

They kept showing the same demos and even others up untill release after which a month after I think they slapped a "Not ingame footage" Warning on the T.V adverts and what not.

#17 Edited by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -

That's million bucks

#18 Posted by believer258 (11559 posts) -

@bisonhero: Yeah, look at what that p.o.s. of a game The Warz did. They were the top seller on Steam for a little bit and it was unplayable (from what I saw videos that people made of it).

One of my bosses at work bought The War Z and he said that he really enjoyed it. I don't want to sound like an elitist, but sometimes people just don't have any taste whatsoever.

Also, I'd like to reinforce this:

@psylah said:

@angouri:

For God's sake, learn this and learn it well:

shipped != sold.

Units shipped by a publisher go to retailers, they sent 1.3m units to retail. There is no guarantee that these made it to end users, and will not have to be bought back by the publisher.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.