And Now Aliens: Colonial Marines Won't Be Coming Out This Year, Either

• 109 results
Posted by Alex (1969 posts) -
Game later, man! GAME LATER!

It seems game publishers can't escape this year's holiday rush fast enough. Over the last couple of weeks, major games such as BioShock Infinite, Tomb Raider, and South Park: The Stick of Truth made hasty exits into early 2013, and now Aliens: Colonial Marines will be joining them.

Originally slated as a fall 2012 release, Sega announced today that Gearbox Software's upcoming first-person shooter based on the popular film franchise will instead release on February 13, 2013 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC.

As for the Wii U version of the game, which had at one point been targeted as a launch title for Nintendo's new console, it currently has no finalized release date. Sega's press release simply says that a date will be announced "at a later time."

Aliens always seemed like a game on the bubble, anyway, considering its release date had been kicked around a few times previously. Still, that's several big titles that have slipped out 2012's back door, and one gets the impression that this won't be the last time this happens before the year is out. Anyone want to take odds on which game might be next?

Staff Online
#1 Posted by Alex (1969 posts) -
Game later, man! GAME LATER!

It seems game publishers can't escape this year's holiday rush fast enough. Over the last couple of weeks, major games such as BioShock Infinite, Tomb Raider, and South Park: The Stick of Truth made hasty exits into early 2013, and now Aliens: Colonial Marines will be joining them.

Originally slated as a fall 2012 release, Sega announced today that Gearbox Software's upcoming first-person shooter based on the popular film franchise will instead release on February 13, 2013 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC.

As for the Wii U version of the game, which had at one point been targeted as a launch title for Nintendo's new console, it currently has no finalized release date. Sega's press release simply says that a date will be announced "at a later time."

Aliens always seemed like a game on the bubble, anyway, considering its release date had been kicked around a few times previously. Still, that's several big titles that have slipped out 2012's back door, and one gets the impression that this won't be the last time this happens before the year is out. Anyone want to take odds on which game might be next?

Staff Online
#2 Edited by Bollard (5245 posts) -

END OF THE WORLD

Edit: Love stealing this quest from people.

#3 Posted by Atom (195 posts) -

oh well

#4 Posted by LiquidPenguins (181 posts) -

does anyone really this this isn't going to be awful anymore?

#5 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I like how everybody is all like, "yeah, we're pushing our game back because 2012 is too crowded, so we're going to release in February 2013 with every other fucking game that has been pushed back."

#6 Posted by Mesoian (1572 posts) -

February is getting crowded...

#7 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

This holiday season is becoming slim pickings.

#8 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1085 posts) -

So either Borderlands 2 is going to be a late 2013 release, or they pushed Aliens back to make sure that Borderlands 2 hits this holiday.

#9 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

HAPPY FEBUARY

#10 Posted by kylekrane (60 posts) -

SON OF A BITCH

#11 Posted by skyline7284 (503 posts) -

What if this and Bioshock Infinite were both launch titles for the Wii U?

#12 Posted by Winternet (8004 posts) -

So, we'll have GOTY decisions next week?

#13 Posted by rahulricky (209 posts) -

Are these games slipping out of this holiday season to avoid other big titles, or are publishers trying to spread out their releases more because otherwise they'd have nothing to big to release in 2013 because all the big titles are being readied for a new generation of console?

#14 Posted by Video_Game_King (35982 posts) -

You know what I love? When developers try to avoid a crowded holiday market and delay their products, thus inadvertently created the crowded release market they wished to avoid. Gotta love irony.

#15 Posted by fargofallout (276 posts) -

This was going to be a big game? I suppose it is Gearbox, but it's an Aliens game. How much do those ever matter?

#16 Posted by DoctorSage (157 posts) -

My bet is on GTA V getting pushed back next. We just haven't seen enough of that game to make me think otherwise.

#17 Posted by bybeach (4724 posts) -

I ama bit dissapointed by this. I really liked part of Aliens Vs Predator 2, and I even remember the little expansion pack featuring the Russian heroine. Later on I think she had a cameo in another game..Red Faction 2?

I really do not know what to expect from this game, but I was hoping for a positive suprise.

#18 Posted by Zabant (1232 posts) -

Oh god! not aliens colonial marines! I might just kill myself now........

#19 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2484 posts) -

Borderlands 2 is still this year, that's really the only Gearbox game I care about at the moment.

#20 Posted by ep_driver (435 posts) -

As long as Borderlands 2 makes it, I'm okay. Fingers crossed. Hope I didn't just jinx it.

#21 Posted by ModernAlkemie (357 posts) -

Great! That's one more game we won't have played before Quetzalcoatl comes!

#22 Posted by ObsideonDarman (640 posts) -

I can honestly see Assassin's Creed III being pushed back to next year.

#23 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

This game is never coming out.

#24 Posted by SiN13 (234 posts) -

Unless there are some surprises at this years E3 the rest of this year is going to be kinda dry. 2009 and 2011 were great. Seems like all the great games are all falling on the same year of their 2 year cycle.

#25 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

So, are there even any good games left that are still coming out in 2012?

#26 Posted by adoggz (2040 posts) -

I'm betting Diablo 3 will get delayed next.

#27 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

@ObsideonDarman said:

They've been working on it for three years to the point where they allegedly made Revelations a console game because 3 wouldn't be done in time. It's not happening.

#28 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -
@fargofallout

This was going to be a big game? I suppose it is Gearbox, but it's an Aliens game. How much do those ever matter?

A lot of people like alien. Like a lot of people (including me)
#29 Posted by warxsnake (2635 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:

@ObsideonDarman said:

They've been working on it for three years to the point where they allegedly made Revelations a console game because 3 wouldn't be done in time. It's not happening.

Revelations and III are completely separate teams and games with their own schedules.
#30 Posted by wumbo3000 (935 posts) -

Nice caption on that picture Alex. Made me chuckle.

#31 Edited by Seastalk (123 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

I don't know... This guy called Duke Nukem emerged from his self-hate/self-pity bender of fifteen years...

#32 Edited by Krampus (141 posts) -

Man everyone here is being so dramatic about this. Come on guys there's a ton of shit coming out this fall! Borderlands 2, Hitman, Assassins Creed III (which I don't think will be pushed back, all the creed games have been out for the last few holidays), Far Cry 3, Resident Evil 6, Halo 4, Dishonored, and some new Call of Duty bullshit. aside from Cod and Halo all these games sound like good times to me.

#33 Posted by Sgtpierceface (610 posts) -

You probably should've mentioned Tomb Raider in your article Alex. I think it's a higher profile game than South Park is.

#34 Posted by RockinKemosabe (619 posts) -

It's turning into 2009 all over again. Everything is getting pushed into next year.

#35 Posted by Artigkar (189 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU said:

Borderlands 2 and COD black ops 2 (not sure how good that one will be though). Thats about all I can think of right now.

#36 Posted by Ali_D (142 posts) -

Wonder if it's a case of "all hands on deck" for Borderlands 2 to make it out this year?

Still, I'm not worried; I'd rather more games got moved out of that busy October-November period.

#37 Posted by DougQuaid (1271 posts) -

@DoctorSage said:

My bet is on GTA V getting pushed back next. We just haven't seen enough of that game to make me think otherwise.

Pushed back to what? I don't think they've even announced a release date.

#38 Posted by Artigkar (189 posts) -

@Krampus: Oh man! I almost forgot about all of these, RE 6 looks kind of insane and promising.

#39 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

@warxsnake said:

@iAmJohn said:

@ObsideonDarman said:

Revelations and III are completely separate teams and games with their own schedules.

And Revelations was allegedly supposed to be a 3DS spin-off before it became a full title because Ubisoft wanted an Assassin's Creed out for the holidays, which is my point. Not that anything you said refuted my point, but hey.

#40 Edited by Yummylee (21242 posts) -

@Artigkar said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

Borderlands 2 and COD black ops 2 (not sure how good that one will be though). Thats about all I can think of right now.

Along with RE6, Darksiders 2, Hitman Absolution, DMC, The Last of Us... with others I've probably forgotten. Then there's also the B-Tier stuff of like Lollipop Chainsaw and Sleeping Dogs that are still on their way.

Even if you're not interested in any of those listed, it's silly to think that there isn't a solid list of games still ready to fill up the rest of the year.

EDIT: Gah, I missed the previous reply pretty much listing everything I just said and then some. Nevermind =X

#41 Posted by Ketchupp (672 posts) -

Fuck you, time!

#42 Posted by wh1terav3n (656 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

This holiday season is becoming slim pickings.

Not even a little bit.

#43 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

Is Aliens: Colonial Marines a squad-based Duke Nukem game? Is the soundtrack being done by GnR?

#44 Posted by Patman99 (1558 posts) -

@Seastalk said:

@iAmJohn said:

I don't know... This guy called Duke Nukem emerged from his self-hate/self-pity bender of fifteen years...

Yeah and he emerged with help from the same developers working on this Aliens game. Im pretty confident that Gearbox will make sure to release the game.

Another shooter-esque game getting pushed back into 2013 just means that I will now have even more time with Borderlands 2.

#45 Posted by sp1k3_b0i (4 posts) -
@fargofallout I was thinking the exact same thing
#46 Posted by VeRKK (96 posts) -

Not that I really care about this game, but at this point, are there any good games still coming this year? My god.

#47 Posted by Scarlet_Rogue (497 posts) -

@Winternet: Diablo 3 came out last week. There's nothing left to discuss.

#48 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

@Patman99 said:

@Seastalk said:

@iAmJohn said:

Yeah and he emerged with help from the same developers working on this Aliens game. Im pretty confident that Gearbox will make sure to release the game.

Another shooter-esque game getting pushed back into 2013 just means that I will now have even more time with Borderlands 2.

You guys remember that this game has been kicking around for, like, four years now and in various states of coming out/never coming out, right? I'm just saying, it would not surprise me in the least to see this delay lead to Sega putting a bullet in the game again.

#49 Posted by SolidOcelot (318 posts) -

GTA V while not confirmed for 2012, is defiantly launching in 2013.

There is something about Far Cry 3 that makes me think 2013 as well, but don't ask me to back that up, just a feeling.

#50 Posted by Artigkar (189 posts) -

@Yummylee: As I posted before, I forgot that RE 6 was coming out this year. RE 6 looks really promising and kind of insane (in a good way). Wasn't aware last of us was coming this year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.