George Broussard defends A:CM, calls media a lynch mob

#1 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2485 posts) -

Link

I thought this was pretty funny. The man responsible for 90% of Duke Nukem Forever, which Gearbox bailed out and published, and was garbage, comes forward to defend their honor on Twitter, saying all the negativity amounts "to little more than mob mentality lynching".

This is kind like murdering your wife and having OJ Simpson run to your defense. But I still find it hilarious and entertaining. The continued fallout from this game is almost worth the $35 I pre-ordered it for.

But probably not the $18 I paid for the Season Pass, which will probably haunt me for months down the road, likely when I least expect it to.

#2 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2228 posts) -

It is one man's opinion, which he evens states is just that, yet I'm sure every games journalist site will put this down as news.

#3 Posted by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -

He has some nerve trying to defend the game and their behavior in the years leading up to its release.

#4 Edited by Pr1mus (3824 posts) -

Guy's entitled to his opinion.

Now what would be really funny would be for the press to lynch George Broussard like a mob for this comment.

#5 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

I haven't played it yet so he could be right and we could be all bandwaggoning like we always do in the video game fanbase...

But then I remember the horror of watching ACM videos o.O

#6 Posted by shivermetimbers (763 posts) -

So negative critical reaction to a video game=lynching?

Okay...

#7 Posted by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -

@shivermetimbers: A lot of the criticism at least from media has been straight to the point and more often than not backed up by facts painting a less than pretty picture.

#8 Edited by Beaker (94 posts) -

If he genuinely likes it then good for him.

#9 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2485 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

Guy's entitled to his opinion.

Now what would be really funny would be for the press to lynch George Broussard like a mob for this comment.

He totally is. At the same time, given his friendship/dealings/history with Randy Pitchford and Gearbox, when you're a minor celebrity on the internet, people are going to take anything you say and pick it apart. He wouldn't be the first and won't be the last.

Sometimes the best position to take is silence.

#10 Posted by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -

@krakn3dfx: Yes, this is basically what it is, I agree. He's just backing a friend.

#11 Posted by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

Fuck Em

#12 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

He isn't the first to enjoy the game, and he won't be the last. This just in: people like different games and some people on the internet just can't handle that.

#13 Posted by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -

@nekusakuraba: A lot of truth from folks today. See, apparently we're not all a mindless mob.

#14 Posted by Winternet (8007 posts) -

He's not that far off with the "mob mentality lynching" part.

#15 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

I have not read his comment, nor do i intend to, but I will comment as though I have.

Whatever.

#16 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

OPINIONS

#17 Edited by Humanity (8858 posts) -

He isn't the first to enjoy the game, and he won't be the last. This just in: people like different games and some people on the internet just can't handle that.

Yes of course, but it is well documented how this game is not only flawed in narrative but in gameplay as well - showcasing numerous examples of poor enemy AI, shoddy texture work and borderline broken mechanics. I am always for the "your own opinion" bit but a turd is a turd and if we all see it and someone says no thats brownies then thats not really covered by the "having your own opinion" clause.

#18 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4604 posts) -

He's kind of right, though. The gaming press have been beating the fuck out of Gearbox and this game with relish over the past week. The game isn't good (I'd call it "okay"), but there comes a point where it stops being criticism and it just devolves into mean spirited bullshit. We hit that point a few days ago.

#19 Posted by Funkydupe (3312 posts) -

@oldirtybearon: I'd say Gearbox/Pitchford deserves a "Welcome back to Earth" after those PR speeches about respect, loving the IP, doing it justice, catering to fans and all of that. Sometimes people reap what they sow and this is one of those instances. I do agree that I hope more crap doesn't come up about them now, it is bad enough as is.

#20 Posted by Animasta (14650 posts) -

He's kind of right, though. The gaming press have been beating the fuck out of Gearbox and this game with relish over the past week. The game isn't good (I'd call it "okay"), but there comes a point where it stops being criticism and it just devolves into mean spirited bullshit. We hit that point a few days ago.

I dunno, that demo/final product comparison is kind of... really really bad. like lying to consumers bad.

#21 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2967 posts) -

@beaker said:

If he genuinely likes it then good for him.

My thoughts.

#22 Edited by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -

Aliens: Colonial Marines is a terrible game. However, the criticisms levelled at A:CM should also be levelled at many other poor to mediocre AAA titles that are given a free pass; to that extent the "mob-mentality lynching" comment is justified. The Aliens game is just a convenient scapegoat so that vg journalists will acquire a semblance of integrity before resuming business as usual.

#23 Posted by CornBREDX (4836 posts) -

Whats weird about this is I went to twitter to read that and got caught in reading about much more petty internet drama from a super minor internet celebrity yet again.

This is why I don't care.

George has the right to his opinion and is known for stating it bluntly. I can only base my opinion of this game based on what I've seen, but it's pretty clear the finished game is not what all the people that got on the hype train were waiting for. In general it looks like a pretty generic game, boring and repetitive with spots of interesting ideas, but does nothing to further games innovation or even to uphold it's own canon. I'd probably like it ironically.

I kind of feel George is out of touch, sometimes, when it comes to games in general, though. That's why I love him, and why he probably shouldn't ever make a game again. That and his ego seems to make development for a certain game take way to long to make.

#24 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1803 posts) -

@animasta: At some point you just start a class-action lawsuit and move on, though. Oh wait, they put something in some EULA somewhere about that not being possible.

#25 Posted by PhilipDuck (532 posts) -

Good for him if he honestly enjoys playing the game.. I have put off buying it due to the comments it received. I may pick it up when it has a massive discount...

#26 Posted by Ramone (2960 posts) -

Great. More power to him. Although saying the press were "wrong", even if it is in his opinion, is stupid. In my opinion.

#27 Posted by Optix12 (611 posts) -

@philipduck: Honestly that probably wont take long, I have already seen discounts happening from last Friday. I bet a used copy would be easy to get by within a week or two.

To me if a game is really as bad as critics are saying then it really should get pointed to consumers that there are better games out there. Il play my brothers copy when he is done with it, he started super excited and I asked him yesterday how long does he have left, he knows its 1 mission and he still doesn't want to finish it. Guess this goes in favour of Jeff stating that pre-orders are dumb. In regards to George, its Twitter, all I see from that service is twitter wars, people getting called out and unable to respond properly due to their character limit.

#28 Posted by triple07 (1196 posts) -

So negative critical reaction to a video game=lynching?

Okay...

To be fair some sites seem to be jumping on the bandwagon of hating this game. Not saying it doesn't deserve bad reviews, haven't played it so I don't know but still.

Although it is a bit weird because of his relationship with Gearbox.

#29 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

George Broussard is a man child buffoon of the same breed randy pitchford is. they are anachronistic relics of the 90s dev mindset, bro.

#30 Posted by Video_Game_King (36075 posts) -

@dagbiker said:

I have not read his comment, nor do i intend to, but I will comment as though I have.

Whatever.

What I was going to do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.