How will Aliens Colonial Marines Wii U be compared to PS3 & 360?

#1 Posted by CagePlay (43 posts) -

Here's a mock up of it on Wii U...

#2 Posted by StingingVelvet (569 posts) -

I'm a PC only gamer so this matters little to me, but I just wanted to post and say that having the movement sensor on that tablet controller for WiiU would be really amazing.  I hope they do that, even though I will not experience it.

#3 Posted by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -

released to late to matter.

#4 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

The freaking Aliens motion sensor being physically in my hand. That's gonna be a total kicker.

If I opt for a Wii U, I will definitely get Colonial Marines for it.

In fact, when/if I get a Wii U, that'll pretty much retire my 360 for good. They're doing nothing distinctive anymore (at least nothing I'm into).

#5 Posted by sate2801 (344 posts) -

I'm putting my money on the screen on controller being the motion tracker screen

#6 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

There's been quite a bit of thread bumps lately, hasn't there?

#7 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

@CagePlay:

Better. According to Gearbox, It has the best visuals and the best controls:

Randy Pitchford

"When I play with the controller, I immediately realize that for the types of games I like to play and make, this is the best controller I've ever had from Nintendo," he told Gamasutra in an interview.

"For Aliens: Colonial Marines, it's really exciting to have that screen there because I can do things that are very unique to this universe.

"For instance, we have a motion tracker in this universe. Now our motion tracker can literally be in our hands and we can see and hear it –and scan the room in 360 degrees, since it's a motion device."

Brian Burleson

"Gearbox Software has gone one step further, and insisted the Wii U version of Aliens: Colonial Marines will be the best-looking version.

Echoing Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford's comments made earlier this month, senior producer Brian Burleson described the Wii U is a "powerful, powerful machine".

While Burleson is under orders not to discuss the Wii U in detail, he insisted Gearbox has managed to get Aliens: Colonial Marines "singing on the machine".

"[Creating the Wii U version] has been pretty easy," he told Eurogamer. "The Wii U is a powerful, powerful machine and it can do a lot of cool new things. And so the game itself, moving it over to work on the Wii U was not much of a chore.

"Now the interesting thing is finding out all the cool ways you can use the controller to do new stuff with it. You can imagine all the cool things we can do, with this franchise and having a thing with you, right?"

Gearbox plans to have Aliens' famous motion tracker displayed on the Wii U controller's touch screen, alerting players to the presence of those nasty aliens. There are other applications, too, although publisher Sega intervened in our discussion of them to prevent details from being divulged.

"You can imagine some cool features, for sure," Burleson said. "It's not hard to imagine some cool features."

The Wii U's power, though, is "one thing I can't talk about", he said. "Actually nailing the specs, they haven't come out with them yet."

But, the Wii U version of Aliens will "be better" than the PS3 and Xbox 360 version in terms of visuals, he confirmed. Why? Because of "more modern tech".

What Burleson is alluding to here is the suggestion that because the Wii U contains modern components, it will by default be more powerful than the ageing PS3 and Xbox 360.

How, exactly, will it be better? "You'll have to wait and see," Burleson teased. "Just trust me on that one."

#8 Posted by Morningstar (2145 posts) -

I guess we'll see.

#9 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

Randy on Wii U version

http://youtu.be/xJzFopgaM70?t=7m13s

@Morningstar said:

I guess we'll see.

You won't immediately, the Wii U version arrives in late March, a month after the 360, PS3 and PC versions.

#10 Posted by SpaceRunaway (848 posts) -

If they allow player 2 to use the tablet as a dedicated motion tracker while player 1 uses the wii zapper as a pulse rifle or something heavier, I would buy a WiiU.   
I mean, provided the game is good.

#11 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2232 posts) -

@Swoxx said:

I found this comment humorous after i looked at dates

#12 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

@SpaceRunaway said:

If they allow player 2 to use the tablet as a dedicated motion tracker while player 1 uses the wii zapper as a pulse rifle or something heavier, I would buy a WiiU. I mean, provided the game is good.

That's not possible. The motion tracker is a device that everyone carries in the game, and when you use it you're prone to attack, it's a core mechanic of the game. I've blogged some details and impressions of the game here.

#13 Posted by wookie912 (23 posts) -

I refuse to fall prey yet again to another Nintendo Gimmick Ill gladly wait for a superior system from sony and microsoft.

#14 Edited by SpaceRunaway (848 posts) -
@Wong_Fei_Hung:  
I haven't really been following anything about this game, despite being super excited about it, so I'm glad to hear that you can't use the motion detector and shoot at the same time.
#15 Posted by Village_Guy (2507 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

@Swoxx said:

I found this comment humorous after i looked at dates

So did I. Some things never change I guess...

#16 Posted by DeF (4812 posts) -

@wookie912 said:

I refuse to fall prey yet again to another Nintendo Gimmick Ill gladly wait for a superior system from sony and microsoft.

how's it a gimmick? a touch screen is a standard input device for gaming. has been for years. other than that, it's a freakin' regular-ass controller!

#17 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

@SpaceRunaway:

There's also no mini-map, so that forces you into using it more, only adding to the tension. When you move as a group, it's important that only one of you has a tracker out at any one time, two marines prone is when xeno's attack.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.