So whose getting this?

• 104 results
#51 Posted by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@jillsandwich said:

@GunstarRed said:

@believer258: Every single achievement name is a quote from the movie... ugh.

WHY IS THAT BAD

HOW IS THAT GOOD!?

It bodes badly for the game's writing. Sure, a small reference here and a little nudge there is nice, but if the whole game constantly references Aliens and the other movies, then it won't be very good as far as story goes. There's "fanservice" and then there's annoyingly going "HEY LOOK WE'VE SEEN ALIENS ALMOST AS MANY TIMES AS YOU HAVE!"

The achievements are direct reflections of the actual game's writing? That's news to me.

#52 Posted by believer258 (11562 posts) -

@jillsandwich said:

@believer258 said:

@jillsandwich said:

@GunstarRed said:

WHY IS THAT BAD

HOW IS THAT GOOD!?

It bodes badly for the game's writing. Sure, a small reference here and a little nudge there is nice, but if the whole game constantly references Aliens and the other movies, then it won't be very good as far as story goes. There's "fanservice" and then there's annoyingly going "HEY LOOK WE'VE SEEN ALIENS ALMOST AS MANY TIMES AS YOU HAVE!"

The achievements are direct reflections of the actual game's writing? That's news to me.

Meanwhile, literally two posts down, a smartass young internet denizen by the name of Believer had the following to say on the matter:

I understand this and I'll of course wait for the game to come out and for me to play it to pass final judgement. I'm just expressing annoyance at the achievements list names and a bit of apprehension for the actual game's story.
#53 Posted by thechronodarkness (294 posts) -

Depends on the reviews really. Problems are, according to all the interviews, alien 3 never happened in this games timeline. So essentially this game is for people that watched aliens *and maybe alien*, and thats about all.

I personally don't like gearbox games really. The old half life mods were fun. Borderlands just isn't, fun for me. The art of shooting, just doesn't feel right. Especially coming from someone thats had firearms training. Guns aren't that inaccurate.

Steam sale! I will play you then!

#54 Posted by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@jillsandwich said:

@believer258 said:

@jillsandwich said:

@GunstarRed said:

WHY IS THAT BAD

HOW IS THAT GOOD!?

Meanwhile, literally two posts down, a smartass young internet denizen by the name of Believer had the following to say on the matter:

I understand this and I'll of course wait for the game to come out and for me to play it to pass final judgement. I'm just expressing annoyance at the achievements list names and a bit of apprehension for the actual game's story.

I was replying via the message sent to my account. You certainly are right about the smartass thing.

#55 Posted by Roger778 (953 posts) -

I plan on getting it for the X-Box 360, but only if it gets good reviews. Besides, there's a lot of games that came out last year that I want to catch up on.

#56 Posted by FaPaThY (116 posts) -

I pre-ordered this on GMG for $35 + $3 credit. Looking forward to it.

#57 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

I don't decide to buy games before they're out, I don't waste my money. I wait for them to be released, watch videos of it and read a little about it, and then I decide.

#58 Posted by TMBaker (230 posts) -

*puts hand up* It's one of many games I have my eye on for games to buy this year, PC is my platform of choice when have the option. I didn't mind AvP and this is looking a much higher grade so It'll be good to see what a high class dev like Gearbox can pull off.

#59 Posted by CactusJack (142 posts) -

I'm really hoping it's good. I trust Gearbox and I know they care about the license. I also work about 5 blocks from Gearbox, and one of the guys that works for me has done play-testing for them on this game. It was super early, but he said what he played was solid. I may wait for some reviews before I drop cash, but I'll be getting it on PC.

#60 Posted by PhilipDuck (530 posts) -

It's on reviews and GB quicklook from me.. i'll see how it goes down as much as i love Aliens i'm never sure about these games. Be on the 360 if i do get it.

#61 Posted by DukesT3 (1888 posts) -

Probably going to redbox it first if its going to be there.. if not I'll probably find a Blockbuster somewhere in Houston. So renting it first.

#62 Posted by probablytuna (3523 posts) -

I'll reserve my purchase until I've seen more of the game/read some reviews.

#63 Posted by falserelic (5271 posts) -

I'm kinda skeptical on this game. It looks fun and I hope it turnsout good, but at the sametime it kinda looks generic.

Hopefully it has a lengthy and fun campaign.

#64 Posted by pweidman (2282 posts) -

2 Hr. A:CM Live feed today on IGN. 5 PM PST btw, and on the XBL IGN app too.

I'll look in cuz I have my doubts, but we'll see.

#65 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2484 posts) -

Already pre-ordered on the Greenmangaming (PC).

Considering the Season Pass for $20.

#66 Posted by Funkydupe (3305 posts) -

Why do these Alien(s) games always look so low budget? It makes me sad.

#67 Posted by stryker1121 (1323 posts) -

I'm waiting to see if this game is optimized for solo players or one of those deals where it's better in co-op. I love the Aliens franchise and will at least give this a rent to check it out. Waiting on DS3 reviews/player opinions first, however.

#68 Posted by JeanLuc (3565 posts) -

I'm going to rent it. Seems like a good weekend game.

#69 Edited by NTM (7234 posts) -

Yeah, I probably am. Aside from some janky-looking facial's on the characters and not so amazing animations to them during cutscenes, right when it gets to game play, it looks really cool. I've only seen a minute or so of it on the IGN live stream so far from a game play perspective, so I don't have a lot of opinion of it yet, but the first person stuff, hud and all looks nice. Watch! I hope it hasn't been posted here already.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/02/03/ign-live-presents-aliens-colonial-marines

Hm, watching it, and really, the animations make things look ugly, whether that be movements from your character picking up a weapon, friendly or enemy A.I. movements, or facial animations. I think it's kind of a mixed bag with the visuals, 'cause I think the lighting and some of the detail is pretty great. The game's looking alright, and it's exciting me, but I think people will see it and say it looks like shit.

The upgrade system, and create a MP characters is cool though, and I'm excited to put my own attachments on weapons. Silencer, red dot sight. Although I don't really see the point in a silencer...

#70 Posted by StarvingGamer (7907 posts) -

Probably Steam sale at some point down the line.

#71 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Oh yeah, picking this up for the 360! Cannot wait!!

#72 Posted by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -

After watching 2 hours of it on ign.... I'm not feelin it. I love the Alien franchise as a whoe but from what i saw, it's lookin pretty crummy. I truly do hope I'm wrong and get to pick it up next week.

#73 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2408 posts) -

Gonna wait for a price drop, Im done buying full price games.

#74 Posted by Funkydupe (3305 posts) -

There have been some good deals on this game already, GMG has ran their share of promotions.

#75 Edited by CaLe (3897 posts) -

I just watched Aliens again today. I'm now sad about how old everyone has become since being in this movie, so I'm too depressed to play the game.

#76 Posted by Beaker (94 posts) -

I am. Iv'e got it pre-ordered for £20 so if it's not great, I won't feel too bad about it.

#77 Posted by NumptyX (9 posts) -

We I've bet it will be better than AVP2 as I've pre ordered it on Amazon only £25 British pounds for the PC limited edition (hmm, really?).

I've got a few friends as old as I am who've also pre ordered so I'm looking forward to the coop campaign.

#78 Posted by Dezztroy (769 posts) -

@NumptyX said:

We I've bet it will be better than AVP2

Sorry, but no fucking way.

#79 Edited by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

Even as a huge Alien fan, I'm avoiding this thing like the plague until I hear more.

The most recent trailer did nothing for me, and Gearbox has had decidedly varying levels of quality in the past.

Going to get my money's worth out of DmC first (and Dead Space 2 while I'm at it).

*'Whose' is possessive btw.

#80 Posted by Funkydupe (3305 posts) -

I really hope this will kick us all in the ass with its fun gameplay and prove us doubters wrong.

#81 Posted by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -

i still kinda want the wiiu version even though its seemingly been left to die

the game really doesn't look like it'll be much good but every time i hear the rifle fire it gives me hope

#82 Posted by cloudnineboya (760 posts) -

was looking forward to this but after watching ign live preview not so sure now, been waiting for a good aliens game since alien resurrection on ps1 yea that's right i really liked that game ,started sitting in a chair infront of the tv 10 minutes later i would be at the back off the room, first scary game i played.

#83 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

I'm getting it because I'm a sucker. I doubt it'll be good but I hope it is. PC.

#84 Posted by Wampa1 (625 posts) -

I'm a little bit worried about how much content it will have. The achievements only show six chapters and the pre-load is 5.5 gigs. Still I'm sure there will be ample opportunity to replay in co-op and level up.. I hope.

#85 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2408 posts) -

@NumptyX said:

We I've bet it will be better than AVP2

Impossible, that game had by far the funnest online modes ever imo.

#86 Posted by Funkydupe (3305 posts) -

This pretty much made up my mind for me. Just watch it on YouTube for proper size'n'all.

#87 Edited by spiceninja (3055 posts) -

@Funkydupe: That looks like a standard shooter but with an Aliens skin. No thanks. I think I'll just reinstall AVP2.

#88 Posted by Funkydupe (3305 posts) -

@PlasmaBeam44: A sub-par shooter, standard is giving it too much credit.

#89 Posted by Daveyo520 (6651 posts) -

Maybe eventually when it is on sale.

#90 Posted by Wampa1 (625 posts) -

@Funkydupe: I think with shooters you sometimes need to get your hands on it to really get a "feel" for how it controls. I actually thought that Borderlands 2 was pretty solid in that respect, sub-par is more like that AVP game from last year.

#91 Posted by Funkydupe (3305 posts) -

@Wampa1: Yeah.. you're right; and maybe the multiplayer portion of it could deliver some fun moments.

#92 Posted by Wampa1 (625 posts) -

@Funkydupe: Don't get me wrong, I could start playing and it could be worse than AVP. Still I really wish they had just put a horde mode in there for humans vs AI and the season pass worries me that we'll only be getting half a game.

#94 Posted by buft (3300 posts) -

Aliens is my favorite movie of all time so yeh probably

#95 Posted by zenmastah (870 posts) -

Pre-loading through Steam as im typing, not expecting that the game blows my mind but i hope they didnt fuck up shooting and theres not too much dudebro shit talking..

the 360 version seems to look like shit and run like crap btw.

#96 Posted by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -
@rebgav said:

@Funkydupe said:

This pretty much made up my mind for me. Just watch it on YouTube for proper size'n'all.

Well. That seems awful.

I was hoping that this game might turn out well, I do enjoy the Alien franchise and Gearbox's recent games, but everything on display in that video seemed pretty crappy.

I watched this live, my initial smile two minutes before it started slowly withered away until it turned into a full frown. Really disappointed on how this looks. But WHO KNOWS! Could be great.... 
#97 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

I really want it to be good, but it's been development for so long that I fear it won't be good.

#98 Edited by Castiel (2520 posts) -

I guess I shouldn't be too judgemental, considering that the game isn't even out yet and we haven't seen any reviews either, but man does that look dissapointing.

Aliens is one of my all-time favorite movies and there is SO many cool aspects about both Alien and Aliens and this game seems to miss all of them. I can't believe some of the things I'm seeing in that IGN video. There's almost no atmosphere or tension and it's also hard to build up tension when the aliens die SO FUCKING quickly. They call themselves fans but it's hard to believe when I see that video. I'm also dissapointed to see that the game seems to be extremely scripted, since that takes out some of the tension for me. I think it would have been better/scarier if they made the aliens more unpredictable and gave them a better AI. They should also tone down the shooting and really let the atmosphere sink in.

It doesn't look good so far.

This is really bumming me out for I love the movie and I really wanted them to make a good game but jesus this doesn't look like fun.

#99 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

@Castiel said:

I guess I shouldn't be too judgemental, considering that the game isn't even out yet and we haven't seen any reviews either, but man does that look dissapointing.

Aliens is one of my all-time favorite movies and there is SO many cool aspects about both Alien and Aliens and this game seems to miss all of them. I can't believe some of the things I'm seeing in that IGN video. There's almost no atmosphere or tension and it's also hard to build up tension when the aliens die SO FUCKING quickly. They call themselves fans but it's hard to believe when I see that video. I'm also dissapointed to see that the game seems to be extremely scripted, since that takes out some of the tension for me. I think it would have been better/scarier if they made the aliens more unpredictable and gave them a better AI. They should also tone down the shooting and really let the atmosphere sink in.

It doesn't look good so far.

This is really bumming me out for I love the movie and I really wanted them to make a good game but jesus this doesn't look like fun.

I watched some of the video too. The motion tracker differentiates between friend and foe. More atmosphere/tension-sapping bullshit right there, too. :/

#100 Posted by TheIronYuppie (120 posts) -

I sooo want this game to be good. I'm a sucker for the Alien franchise so I'll probably pick it up on sale even if it's middling. Gotta get it on Xbox, more friends to play co-op with, and if the leaks are true, horde mode........WITH ALIENS!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.