The Guns of Navarro: Reality Bites

• 164 results
#151 Edited by Palaeomerus (355 posts) -

"Colonial Marines is a staggering mess of a game. "

That seems more than a bit hyperbolic. It's a crappy game and disappointing somewhat like Homefront. It's better than Rogue Warrior. But a staggering mess? No. Not really. Certainly not in the way I would use those words. Big Rigs? Yes. Emphatically. A:CM ? Not so much really. It's merely a Blacksite: Area 51/Dark Sector sort of game where one hoped for more of a near Bioshock.

#152 Posted by fisk0 (3989 posts) -

Wait, what the hell? Capcom? Epic Games studio in China? Jeez. What a wide, random array of development sources.

My guess is that the developer credits for Borderlands 2 aren't quite complete. I think someone put all the studios Gearbox outsourced development for ACM to in the wiki to prove the "too many chefs" point, when in fact every somewhat big game outsource part of the development to various studios, but in general that stuff gets a few lines in the end credits, and maybe a couple of additonal logos at the launch of the game. Even indie titles like Amnesia: The Dark Descent had studios like Abyss Lights and Wolfire games help Frictional Games out with art assets and such.

#153 Edited by sate2801 (344 posts) -
#154 Posted by GnsDemon (115 posts) -

I really enjoyed this one. Thanks ya Alex.

#155 Posted by CaptRocketblaze (173 posts) -

The Guns successfully blast through another week of topical criticism! What will be the next issue to find itself in the line of fire? Find out next week on The Guns of Navarro!

#156 Posted by Vorhenze (95 posts) -

@palaeomerus: Agreed. People are such victims of their expectations.

#157 Posted by oobs (338 posts) -

#158 Posted by Superfriend (1540 posts) -

@yadilie said:

Another bad piece of media from a terrible IP? Oh no! What a shocker!

Dude with anime in his avatar says: "I don´t like popular things, that´s why I´m edgy."
What a shocker indeed.

#159 Posted by heatDrive88 (2300 posts) -

"Colonial Marines is a staggering mess of a game. "

That seems more than a bit hyperbolic. It's a crappy game and disappointing somewhat like Homefront. It's better than Rogue Warrior. But a staggering mess? No. Not really. Certainly not in the way I would use those words. Big Rigs? Yes. Emphatically. A:CM ? Not so much really. It's merely a Blacksite: Area 51/Dark Sector sort of game where one hoped for more of a near Bioshock.

To be fair to Alex's point, I think once you put expectations into the picture, the game is quite a mess. Nobody expected Big Rigs or Rogue Warrior to be "good" games, and they weren't exactly marketed as such either. At least Aliens had the money and the franchise potential behind it in comparison.

#161 Edited by durden77 (303 posts) -

Great article Alex.

It really is a bummer. I had seen Alien a long time ago, but the fear of facehuggers (lol) actually put me off from seeing Aliens when I was younger for sometime. I watched Aliens for the first time just a couple of days before this game came out, and absolutely loved it. Not only that, but it was still very fresh in my mind, so I was so excited for a game to truly capture that atmosphere and run with it.

I can't even imagine how the long time Aliens fans feel, because my disappointment alone was really rough. And seeing that demo footage compared to the final version just makes it almost seriously depressing. The game I, and many others, wanted to play was shown to us, but not given to us. Like seriously look at some of that demo footage, it looks beautiful.

Luckily I had seen the reviews hit and resisted paying full price for it, so I rented it. The multiplayer is actually....kind of fun, and a bit more balanced than I expected. If the game was around 20-30 bucks I'd pick it up just for that. But the single player is hot, HOT garbage.

I never held anything against Gearbox for DNF. People that thought that game was actually going to be a new great shooter I thought were crazy. I always felt like Gearbox were just the people bringing whatever DNF was to a freaking shelf finally so people could play it, and honestly I didn't expect much from the game, I just wanted to see it, and I was satisfied.

This on the other hand, this is just kind of straight up messed up.

#162 Posted by Mezmero (1856 posts) -

Awesome read. It's like some sort of double review for a terrible game and developer. Sorry guys, better luck next time.

#163 Posted by simon209D (1 posts) -

I think there are a lot of us out there who would have preferred them to spend time on the ultimate Aliens game than continuing the Borderlands franchise (as good as it is). This is something that gamers have been after for an age.

Also this is the game that reveals the true marketing purposes behind press previews. Hopefully will encourage suspicion of these.

#164 Edited by vinsanityv22 (1064 posts) -

Let's just be happy that we got Aliens: Infestation out of Sega's license. At least WAYFORWARD knew how to handle Aliens. More Metroid, less bad Call of Duty.

If Sega wants to make money from their licensing agreement, they'd forget Colonial Marines and commission Wayforward to make an HD version of that game for XBLA, PSN, Steam and eShop. Do a Shadow Complex-type remake of the game.

#165 Posted by VikG (136 posts) -

Thanks @alex , great feature on this whole mess, looking forward to the next Guns of Navarro!

#166 Posted by lowestformofwit (194 posts) -

I am continually baffled by the people who make game design decisions. It is blatently obvious what an "Aliens Colonial Marines" game should be. It should be a game like the original Dead Space, set in an isolated environment with a focus on tension and horror. The motion tracker dictates that from the off. It should also be single player only.

Meddling with multiplayer/co-op is the path to destruction right from the conception with an IP such as this. Sometimes aiming for a long shelf-life/long-term sales is not the direction to take as it results in launching a poor product. Hell, even if the game was half decent you still won't pull people away from Halo/COD/Gears anyway. It didn't work in Dead Space 2 or Bioshock 2 and I am sure the morons who make these decisions are only looking at the books and have no idea about gaming at all.

Anyway, its a big disappointment for me that this is a failure. Such a shame. Most people will forgive or forget Gearbox's bad decisions about this title. I for one, won't.

#167 Edited by CouncilSpectre (329 posts) -

Really great game. Took me back to when I saw Aliens at the movies day of release. Can't wait for the DLC. Got my season pass paid up :)

#168 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.