Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Aliens vs. Predator

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Feb 16, 2010

The third game in the popular AvP franchise. Players are be able to control one of the three deadly species in a fight for survival.

Alien Vs Predator: the first review doesn't look promising.

• 60 results
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool
    Aliens vs. Predator  

58  Game Informer

Like an antithesis to Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, it proves that two great flavors don't always taste great together. [Issue#203, p.87]

No full review to read as it is a magazine - but ouch.  Will this be the low point and they will get better?
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I tend to like Game Informer. This is a bummer. Not totally unexpected, but a bummer.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Geno

Doubt that this game will score significantly better, it will probably end up in the low-mid 70's. From the gameplay footage and demo, the game is just...bland. Graphics are also way worse than hyped up to be. 

Workyticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Workyticket

Yeah, I'm expecting 7s pretty much across the board. That isn't necessarily a dealbreaker for me, I'm huge Alien/Predator fan and have enjoyed the demo just for the atmosphere. Just hoping the other play modes are a little less frustrating... Consider me on the fence at this stage.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
    @Workyticket said:

" Yeah, I'm expecting 7s pretty much across the board. That isn't necessarily a dealbreaker for me, I'm huge Alien/Predator fan and have enjoyed the demo just for the atmosphere. Just hoping the other play modes are a little less frustrating... Consider me on the fence at this stage. "

We'll just play some games whilst we wait: 

No Caption Provided
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By c1337us

58 is a shame. I was expecting "low" scores but nothing this low. Might have to skip a purchase and go straight to a rental if this sort of feedback is consistant.

Workyticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Workyticket
    @oldschool said:
    " @Workyticket said:
    " Yeah, I'm expecting 7s pretty much across the board. That isn't necessarily a dealbreaker for me, I'm huge Alien/Predator fan and have enjoyed the demo just for the atmosphere. Just hoping the other play modes are a little less frustrating... Consider me on the fence at this stage. "
    We'll just play some games whilst we wait: 

No Caption Provided
    "
    Never checkmate a guy with a nuclear bomb strapped to his wrist.
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By metal_mills

To be honest the reviews sounded kinda dodgy. It's complaints were the motion sensor picking up enemies, predators using stealth rather than brute and Aliens climbing walls can get disorientating(which is like all other AvP's)...so I might wait for other reviews.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gike987

Based on my experience with the demo the multiplayer seems fun and feels like AvP should. So I'm still going to buy it.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pause422

I take GI is a joke and would never go on something they say, but I myself stand disappointed with the gameplay from playing the MP demo. I'm gonna rent the game still, but its a little to watered down from the original for my taste.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

D:  Damn, I was really looking forward to this.  I will probably get it anyways.  The online demo is fine on 360, and extremely fun for me.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Rowr

Wait for more reviews.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By ArcBorealis

Hahahahaha, no.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By ToxicFruit

Already bought it, and as a AvP fan I can say that I am happy with my purchase.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PercyChuggs
    @pause422 said:
    " I take GI is a joke and would never go on something they say, but I myself stand disappointed with the gameplay from playing the MP demo. I'm gonna rent the game still, but its a little to watered down from the original for my taste. "
    And how is GI a joke? Because their opinions on games differ from yours?

AvP was made by Rebellion. Rebellion is not a good developer. Therefore, is anyone really surprised by this?
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pause422
    @PercyChuggs said:

" @pause422 said:

" I take GI is a joke and would never go on something they say, but I myself stand disappointed with the gameplay from playing the MP demo. I'm gonna rent the game still, but its a little to watered down from the original for my taste. "
    And how is GI a joke? Because their opinions on games differ from yours?  AvP was made by Rebellion. Rebellion is not a good developer. Therefore, is anyone really surprised by this? "
    Yeah, just the fact that you had to reply to me with that as your first claim is enough reason to not actually give you a legitimate obvious answer. Go figure it out. And Rebellion made the first AvP, and it was a really good game. This one is definitely not as good gameplay wise to me anyway as the first. They have gone downhill at this point.
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Alexander

Can't say I had much faith to start with. Colonial Marines please.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Mushir

Judging a game by one review is stupid. It's like saying Twilight Princess sucks because of Jeff's 8.8 review.

HEYOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By august

A lot of these dude's complaints are just horrible. Like the motion tracker. And complaining that the Predator relies on stealth. And the fact that he can't handle the wall-crawling. Then it all ends by saying that the game doesn't recapture the original's unique spark - even though half his complaints are the very things that made the original unique.  

I think this will score in the 60s-80s but this guy's depth as a game reviewer is suspect.
    ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20  Edited By ArcBorealis
    @august said:

A lot of these dude's complaints are just horrible. Like the motion tracker. And complaining that the Predator relies on stealth. And the fact that he can't handle the wall-crawling. I think this will score in the 60s-80s but this guy's depth as a game reviewer is suspect. "

Not to mention he complains about the lighting.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By CL60

Read the review instead of looking at the score...his points are ridiculous...

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PercyChuggs
    @pause422 said:
    " @PercyChuggs said:

" @pause422 said:

And how is GI a joke? Because their opinions on games differ from yours?  AvP was made by Rebellion. Rebellion is not a good developer. Therefore, is anyone really surprised by this? "
    Yeah, just the fact that you had to reply to me with that as your first claim is enough reason to not actually give you a legitimate obvious answer. Go figure it out. And Rebellion made the first AvP, and it was a really good game. This one is definitely not as good gameplay wise to me anyway as the first. They have gone downhill at this point.
    Go figure it out? So am I supposed to go through 200 issues of Game Informer, and analyze why they, accoring to you, are a joke?

Yeah, they have employees who are more knowledgeable about games, and play more of them, than you do. So surely, they have no credibility and should not be taken seriously.
    positron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By positron

After only playing the demo - To me this looks like a last gen game. The graphics and movement are quite poor. Even the sound is bad. The pulse rifle sounds cheap and hollow. I didn't expect this to be great given Rebellion's recent form, but it's a shame none the less. A wasted opportunity. 

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Daryl

But really there are three flavours?

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By calidan777

GameInformer says it's bad? Well I'm buying it for sure now.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EvilTwin
    @calidan777 said:
    " GameInformer says it's bad? Well I'm buying it for sure now. "
    Wow.  You buy things that Game Informer says are good, and you also buy things that they say are bad.  For someone who has no respect for their publication, they sure have a lot of control over your purchasing decisions.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@positron said:
    " After only playing the demo - To me this looks like a last gen game. The graphics and movement are quite poor. Even the sound is bad. The pulse rifle sounds cheap and hollow. I didn't expect this to be great given Rebellion's recent form, but it's a shame none the less. A wasted opportunity.  "
    The pulse rifle sounds that way because that's what it sounds like in the movies.  Also, I don't understand everyone saying the graphics are bad... they are fine.
    positron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By positron
    @xobballox: It sounds weak compared to the films - and it sounds weak compared to the gun sounds in any other half decent shooter. And the graphics are not up to the standard most people expect nowadays. 
    Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

Screw Game Informer. They gave Army of Two a bad rating as well and I loved that game, and I've been having a blast with the demo. Each character truly feels different from the other, and it makes a fun and exhilarating time for me. First day buy for me after spending so much time on the demo.

SquadBroken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SquadBroken

I haven't played a demo as bad as that in a long time.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ArchScabby

that's too bad, I though the multiplayer demo was pretty fun, but at the same time I could see it getting old really quick.  It still made me excited to try the single player though, now not so much.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Diamond

If you already played the demo and genuinely loved it you'll probably still enjoy the game.

Personally I didn't think much of the demo at all, I expected the game wouldn't be very good, and the GI review seems about right for me.

pepsipat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pepsipat1

Gameinformer reviews have alway been a little dodgy atleast to me. They gave Lair like 8.5 or something like that if I remember correctly. The review just seems like a rant about someones hatred of the aliens vs predator franchise.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BigBoss1911
    @Toxic said:
    " Already bought it, and as a AvP fan I can say that I am happy with my purchase. "
    Can I ask you where you bought it?
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By Afroman269

I wasn't expecting this game to be that great anyways but it would a shame if it just turned out like crap.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ToxicFruit
    @BigBoss1911 said:
    " @Toxic said:
    " Already bought it, and as a AvP fan I can say that I am happy with my purchase. "
    Can I ask you where you bought it? "
    I got it of steam (Pre-order)
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Rayfield

I have to say that the demo was really underwhelming. A whole lot of I CAN'T SEE SHIT HUH? WHAT HAPPENED? I'M DEAD? WHAT KILLED ME? RESPAWNING ALREADY? HUH? I CAN'T SEE GODDAMN THING HERE JESUS I'M DEAD AGAIN? WHAT THE HELL KILLED ME? 

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ToxicFruit

Here is the review if someone want to read it 

http://gamegrep.com/showimage.php?pos=1&newsid=29601

A bit strange to say that a campaign "sucks" without giving a reason and he is really nitpicky on some of the things he mentions.  

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ryanwho

The QL made this seem like a fun sort of buggy game that looks about on par with first year 360 games. I'm inclined to believe a lot of that score comes from the graphic whore sector.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TheFreeMan

His comments on the multiplayer portion are ridiculously short. "Nothing feels fresh and the SP problems carry over". Seriously? That's it? No more detail?

I haven't even played the demo yet but this review is kinda crummy. Spends seventy-percent of it talking about the campaigns and about a sentence on the MP. Hmm.

aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By aaox

I kind of enjoyed the demo, but I could see from what I've played that there's some stuff to be desired. It's probably just the fact that I can never seem to get into a match that's soured my opinion, though.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ryanwho
    @Toxic said:
    " Here is the review if someone want to read it   http://gamegrep.com/showimage.php?pos=1&newsid=29601  A bit strange to say that a campaign "sucks" without giving a reason and he is really nitpicky on some of the things he mentions.   "
    Probably because "gamegap" is some random dude's game blog, not a review site.
    Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43  Edited By Deusoma
    @ryanwho: 
    That is a scan of a review from Game Informer that was posted on some random dude's game blog, not a review written for some random dude's game blog.
    Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Liminality

I think the game is full of details, the graphics are more than awesome and it gives a perfect experience of each faction.

I've seen many people in the demo as Aliens just running and fighing as they were humans, the real fun comes turning off the lights and running through ceiling attacking from the dark.

JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By JeevesPleez

Besides the atmosphere, the deathmatch demo doesn't represent the stronger aspects of this game very well. I'm going to play the single player campaigns, sure, but I'm really getting this game for the Predator Hunt, Alien Infestation and four player co-op survival modes. Those are the things that, in my mind, make this game unique. As long as they pulled these parts off, I'll be happy.

Vintoks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Vintoks

Pretty poorly written article, it may be as bad as he says but his claims backing up his reasons are terrible.

Workyticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Workyticket

The problem with that review is, the guy states his gripes and then instead of explaining them in detail he just clunkily shifts to the next complaint. Not a single positive point either, even something superficial for the sake of balance. The game basically got a 6 (I give no truck to this .75 bullshit), which on a scale of 10 makes it average - not great, yet hardly the disaster he makes it out to be. A game that gets 6 has to have SOMETHING going for it, and it's a reviewer's job to explain what it is.

And okay, it's an advance copy and the guy probably didn't get to play it online but one sentence for the MP? It's only the basic reason most people are BUYING the bloody game!  

I'm enjoying the demo and will most likely pick it up for the other online modes, but I'm expecting middling review scores. All the same, that thing reads like either someone had either cut out the last 2-300 words of each paragraph, or GI have started ripping off their review copy from NeoGaf posts.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CptBedlam

I wait for other reviews. That article sounds very cynical, almost as if he wants to trash the game no matter what. He even criticizes the motion sensor sound which is the same as ever... please...

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#49  Edited By ImperiousRix

After playing the demo for some kind, I was actually really looking forward to this game.  I don't know if the single-player will hold up, but MP definitely feels fun with the drastically different (but surprisingly balanced) 3 species to play as. 
    I'll wait for the IGN, Gametrailers, and GB (if there is one), reviews before I make a final decision, but I'm not completely discouraged.  Still looking forward to this.

sgt_match

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By sgt_match

58 is pretty low... dunno if the game deserves better until I play it... but love for the source material probably means I will enjoy the hell out of it even if it sucks. again, maybe it is broken, isn't out yet, but 58 seems low.  never expeced more than a 7 range (on 10pt). but being a member of the target audience helps with a lot of games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.