American vs. Non-American reviews - what's the deal?

#1 Posted by ApertureSilence (1156 posts) -

So, there's a bizarre thing I've noticed about the early AvP reviews. Reviews from American outlets, like GameSpot and GameInformer, have been consistently negative, with scores in the 5-6 range, whereas Australian and European reviews have been in the high 8s. PSM Australia even gave the game a 9, for crying out loud! 

Now, I personally have no opinion regarding the quality of AvP, as I have only played the multiplayer demo, but I did think it kinda interesting how there seems to be some sort of regional review dichotomy. Any thoughts or speculation?

#2 Posted by LiquidPrince (15909 posts) -

Simple, NA reviewers have higher standards... No, I jest. I can't really give a reason as to why that is.

#3 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

The NA reviewers are likely far more swayed by the debacle that was Rogue Warrior because it's about a goshdarned American Hero (tm) rather than the Australian and European rags who couldn't give a toss about RW and are judging AVP solely on its own merits.

#4 Posted by Bones8677 (3227 posts) -

Different reviewers have different views and tastes, their geographical locations are likely just a coincidence.

#5 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -
@Bones8677 said:
" Different reviewers have different views and tastes, their geographical locations are likely just a coincidence. "
This. An interesting observation though.
#6 Posted by cximran (52 posts) -

The real question is, is the game faithful to its PC roots? 

#7 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -

British game developers :)

#8 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -

Well, i think its also one of the few really violent modern shooters thats gotten releases in Australia recently without game-wrecking censorship. See Left 4 Dead 2.

#9 Posted by CenturionCajun (1461 posts) -

Well, the game just got a 7 from IGN so even here in North America the major reviews are falling all over the place. I suppose it's just different levels of penalizing the unimaginative level design and graphical choices.

#10 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -

wierdddddddddddddddddddddd

#11 Posted by Bucketdeth (8007 posts) -

Because everything outside of NA is 3rd world so there standards are pretty low.

#12 Posted by StingingVelvet (569 posts) -

I think a lot of complaints are console issues, honestly, and Euro sites and mags are more likely to be playing the PC version because PC gaming is still big over there.  That's one possibility. 

For instance complaints about the graphics baffle me because the game looks amazing maxed on PC.
#13 Posted by YodaShinoda (16 posts) -

Having played throught the Predator campaign and now halfway through the Marines one, i must say at first, the game is amazing, the death graphics as you twist a marines head of his shoulders, the spinal cord etc VERY good HOWEVER as you progress you start to realise that they are very same-same and nothing really stands out anymore as stunning, however the negative reviews do nothing but stifle the chances of a sequel because like somebody above me said, it wont sell in NA.

#14 Posted by eroticfishcake (7783 posts) -

Interesting observation though I need to find more examples of regional reviews to say much on this.

#15 Edited by Evilsbane (4592 posts) -

I don't understand the complaints on the graphics, I played the MP demo on my computer and the game looks quite stunning maxed out.

Edit: I am a graphics whore and I totally bought Uncharted2 because it looked pretty, so I really don't understand the issue.

#16 Posted by dutch42 (533 posts) -

not really knowing what to make of the review scores so far, i'm gona wait for the gb review and a review of it in gamestm (UK games magazine) because these are the sources that I trust the most.
#17 Posted by Tirrandir (217 posts) -

European reviewers are often Sonic the Hedgehog apologists and played things like Amiga.  Thus, their perspectives cannot be trusted. 

#18 Edited by harvey_the_pooka (271 posts) -
@Bucketdeth said:

" Because everything outside of NA is 3rd world so there standards are pretty low. "

LOL I think I farted a little 

@Tirrandir said: 

" European reviewers are often Sonic the Hedgehog apologists and played things like Amiga.  Thus, their perspectives cannot be trusted.  "

TAKE THAT BACK!!! Amiga was awesome! All Sonic games since Sonic 2 suck.  

Sincerely somebody from OLD-Europe 
#19 Posted by Tirrandir (217 posts) -
@harvey_the_pooka:   I was just poking fun. Having never ever SEEN an Amiga in my life, I have no idea if it was awesome or not.  Still, the history and perspective across the pond is very weird. I have a hard time understanding any gamer in their mid 20s or later that didn't play Nintendo consoles back in the day. It's like they come from another planet.
#20 Edited by Ignor (2372 posts) -
#21 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

The IGN UK review was an exclusive deal and I blame their 8.5 score on this fact. 

(I've been wondering about IGN exclusive reviews and scores for some time now. For example, look at the Army of Two 40th Day review ... again: another exclusive deal, another much higher than average score)

I played through the Marine campaign of the new AVP and I give it a 6 or 7 ... the first levels look and play really good and I'd give them a score of 8 but the second half of the campaign is just average to bad in every aspect. The last level is a big joke. I felt like I was playing an Unreal-lava-level from the late 90s.

#22 Posted by CenturionCajun (1461 posts) -

Well, the negative reviews don't seem to be affecting sales. I know in my store we sold nearly thirty copies and are running low. Further proof that the general consumer either doesn't know that video game reviewers exist or don't care what they say.

That being said I bought the Hunter Edition simply because I loves me some Aliens and Predator.

#23 Posted by Skytylz (4031 posts) -

It didn't sound like Jeff liked it very much either.

#24 Posted by dutch42 (533 posts) -

ok jeff said it sucked, its not gonna get bought
#25 Posted by Redux626 (68 posts) -

I don't know this has happened before though with games such as Operation Flashpoint or Farcry 2, Europeans dev's gave higher scores, Same with the Force Unleashed.. I think Euro's are more for is the game fun while NA is , Graphics and Controls

#26 Edited by Jimbo (9800 posts) -

American reviews are generally focused around whether a game meets the standard of the day - it doesn't matter that the games become totally homogenized, so long as you nail the execution you will still review extremely well - whereas European reviews, in my experience at least, are more interested in whether a game is trying to offer something different and are a lot more forgiving of jankiness.  I'm not saying AvP is groundbreaking or anything, but it at least has some mechanics you haven't seen in countless other recent games.  I think this review approach just reflects their audience.  This is why you have all kinds of crazy shit still sell reasonably well in Europe, that won't even get covered in the US, let alone sell.

You will get regional differences like this on occasion, because ultimately a reviewer is always asking the question "Will my audience like this game?".  And I suspect it will turn out that European players in general will themselves be more positive about AvP than US players, in which case I would argue that both sets of reviews served their purpose.

I think it's probably pretty unlikely that the developer being British made a significant impact on how the game was scored.  Some difference maybe, but I suspect the cultural differences account for most of it.

Edit:  (Total restructure - redundant paragraph.)

#27 Posted by Workyticket (108 posts) -

@Tirrandir: In my case, that planet would be England. Back in the day the Master System was bigger than the NES in the UK, if you can believe that!

As for AVP: It's been a long time since I've seen reviews/opinions of a game vary so wildly. Have no idea as to an explanation for the cross-Atlantic divide here. Here in Australia it's even getting 9s! I mean I love the game but even for me that's a bit high...

And good points there Jimbo. You just have to think back to the 80s, where a lot of games that were hugely successful in Europe were barely heard of in America. It's a rare thing to see an American retro site/podcast mention games like Wizball, Hovver Bovver or Dizzy, let these were major mainstream hits in Europe. IMHO this has led to quite a difference in the retro scenes in the US and Europe, and seeing as AVP is, from a certain point of view, a retro game, perhaps that's a factor in the differing perceptions too? Even today you can't explain, say, Wizball's gameplay without sounding like you're suffering an acid-induced fit of gibberish. I think you might be on to something when you say that in Europe gameplay - and especially styles of gameplay that differ from the norm - take precedence over technical aspects.

I don't know really. This is very much a half-formed opinion so take it as you will... (Shrug)

#28 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -
@Tirrandir said:
" @harvey_the_pooka:   I was just poking fun. Having never ever SEEN an Amiga in my life, I have no idea if it was awesome or not.  Still, the history and perspective across the pond is very weird. I have a hard time understanding any gamer in their mid 20s or later that didn't play Nintendo consoles back in the day. It's like they come from another planet. "
What's a "Nintendo"?
#29 Posted by Cadmus (290 posts) -

GameSpot and GameInformer are prestigious gaming outlets.

#30 Posted by AgentofChaos (1565 posts) -
@Bones8677 said:
" Different reviewers have different views and tastes, their geographical locations are likely just a coincidence. "
This. There seems to be a large discrepancy of reviews for this game out there.
#31 Posted by Illmatic (1358 posts) -

Perfect example of different regions having different tastes. I played the demo and knew I wanted none of that but I guess someone across the ocean played it and thought the exact opposite.

#32 Posted by CABBAGES (523 posts) -

so far i have played through marines and predator campaigns and a bit into the aliens one. 
PLayed a bit of online multiplayer too and i think its a great game overall. 
Even in the negative reviews ive seen and read i dont think the things they complain about are as bad as they make out or should lower the score as much as they do. 
The controls can be a bit dodgy but you get used to them. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.