AvP demo is up. What are you thoughts?

• 76 results
#1 Edited by jjbiggs (80 posts) -

I am pretty excited for this game. I used to play the old one on PC back in the day. I played the demo for a few rounds and it seems pretty cool. My only gripe at this point is how long it takes to get into a match. The matchmaking system could have been better.

Well after spending some more time with it I can't say I love the multi-player. Let's hope the single player part is better.

#2 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

Well I'm thinking of making rice.

Jokes aside, people said on here that they were having trouble connecting so it might just be a hiccup of the demo.

#3 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I'm having a ton of fun with it.  No connection trouble on the 360.  PC was having some pretty bad connection troubles last night, haven't played PC version today.  All three classes feel just... right.  Alien is my favorite so far.

#4 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

First of all, we already have a demo thread. 

Second, just so my stay here is not unwelcome. I've played it. The PC I had trouble connecting, so I downloaded the Xbox version. (Same demo.) It's just multiplayer, deathmatch, 8-players. For the most part it's people just walking up behind others and doing an instant kill. I think the campaign will be much better, as well as the other modes. Deathmatch seems kind of a bad fit and especially an unusual choice for a demo. They should have made it a level from the campaign...

#5 Posted by Sweep (8818 posts) -

playing as an alien is so fucking confusing. Jumping from surface to surface.... its too hard to keep track of enemies :/

also the matchmaking is rubbish.

#6 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@Vinchenzo said:
" First of all, we already have a demo thread.  Second, just so my stay here is not unwelcome. I've played it. The PC I had trouble connecting, so I downloaded the Xbox version. (Same demo.) It's just multiplayer, deathmatch, 8-players. For the most part it's people just walking up behind others and doing an instant kill. I think the campaign will be much better, as well as the other modes. Deathmatch seems kind of a bad fit and especially an unusual choice for a demo. They should have made it a level from the campaign... "
I wish it was a small campaign chunk with each race too.  The deathmatch is pretty fun though.  I think they made it multiplayer because that's what most people who played the other PC AVP games want.
#7 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@Sweep said:
" playing as an alien is so fucking confusing. Jumping from surface to surface.... its too hard to keep track of enemies :/  also the matchmaking is rubbish. "
Yeah, at first when I was trying to play the Alien it was like "what is this I don't even..." but once you've played an alien for three or four matches, it gets a lot less confusing.
#8 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@Sweep said:
playing as an alien is so fucking confusing. Jumping from surface to surface.... its too hard to keep track of enemies :/
Yea, same problem here on both PC & 360.  Also tracking the aliens as a marine is extremely hard, especially with the lag.

PC version has horrible horrible connectivity issues.  Overall I think I'll pick up the game for $10 or $20 on Steam as long as the single player mode sounds decent.  I have zero interest in playing this game online.
#9 Posted by Druminator (1676 posts) -

Only played a few games but it was really fun. Never played an AVP game before. Haven't gotten a chance to try Predator but the Alien is pretty fun. Playing as the marine is actually pretty scary with all the aliens hissing and your radar beeping when they're near by.

#10 Posted by Dark_Jon (581 posts) -

Maybe if I could get into a damn game. Playing on the PC. I heard you have to join a group with 7 other people if you dont want to wait 30 mins to get into a match, which I don't want to do.

#11 Posted by DanGuy (278 posts) -

All three races seem pretty balanced. I didn't have any problem connecting on the Xbox, and it was lots of fun.

#12 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

I was thinking about the balance and really it's not too balanced.

The predator can turn invisible, has the vision modes, have the most powerful short range attacks and most powerful long ranged attacks, and can move the fastest both in normal moving and sprinting.

The alien can walk on walls and ceiling (really not terribly useful unless you're playing against idiots), and can see enemies through walls (much better than marine radar).

The marine just starts with a long ranged attack and has the vague radar system, and has to pick up health.

#13 Posted by Demigonis (192 posts) -

Tons of fun for me so far, I really like it. There are issues with the match-making and lag in online play, but I'm willing to bet those will be ironed out pretty quickly. The game itself when you get into a smooth game is a total blast to play.

#14 Posted by IndeedCodyBrown (391 posts) -

Skip This One

#15 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

I was just bitching at my brother to get off my computer (he's playing the BC2 beta) when I realized at the very least I could go download this on my 360 to check it out. Downloading....now.

#16 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
  • Took too long to connect to a match
  • The voice function is not push to talk, it's just talk
  • You can't talk to anyone in-game
  • The radar thing is annoying as hell
  • The menu background static menu is annoying as hell
  • The sensitivity is so botched it almost makes everything seem laggy.
#17 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -

While I loved the original on the Jaguar, I feel this game has been made a dozen times already, and it feels less and less meaningful every time.  It's like all they do is make the same game every time there's a new DirectX.  It's almost like they've been making this game for 15 years and releasing every build since then.

It looks good since it basically does what they've all done, so maybe if you've never played one of the AvP games then you'll enjoy it.  My only problem with the games is none of them ever had a good story, the characters are generic and there isn't an over-arcing storyline that connects them.  Read that first AvP comic book series from forever ago and you see a great story that gives a purpose to the events.  After playing a few of the past games, I never really knew or cared why the three races were there, or even where "there" was.  This is partly due to the state of fps storytelling of the time, but so far i've not seen anything in this game that changes that.  Maybe I've missed something, but so far it looks like AvP Ver. 4.0.

#18 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

My experience so far was that it took forever to find a game, then when I found a game, I had to listen to a couple people on their mics breathing.  In the game I had no idea what I was doing, it didn't give any explanation, and the controls didn't feel great, so I quit and deleted it.

#19 Edited by Diamond (8634 posts) -

I think they might have fixed up the matchmaking a bit.  Got an update on Steam and now I connect to hosts on PC pretty quick.  edit - then again it is afternoon here on the east coast, first time since the demo was released.  First game was really laggy and I lagged out quickly.  Second game was good, but when I started kicking ass the host left the game and the game ended.  More and more the combat seems like a melee cluster fuck.  To really win try to get behind your opponent (jump over them as an alien) then tap quick attack rapidly.  People who block simply never get a chance to attack.

#20 Posted by TomA (2531 posts) -

Playing as a marine is so boring. Fail on Rebellions part.

#21 Edited by handlas (2659 posts) -

Alien sux.

Human is fun.

Predator is fun but you are way overpowered when you get his weapons.  I wish the leaping was a little better.  Sometimes it won't allow me to leap up to surfaces until I get the reticle in the precise place.

Deathmatch sux because I'd rather be helping my fellow species rather than killing them.  Only one game so far me and 3 other human guys teamed up and destroyed every single alien/predator we saw.

Has anyone blocked an attack before?  Every character has a block but I'm not sure how effective it is.  I tend to die by being executed from behind.  Which is the biggest problem.  Executions take far too long and you end up getting grabbed from behind when you try to do them yourself.  Which is one of the reason being an Alien sux.  Can't count how many guys I've snagged just to be grabbed from behind by a fellow Alien.  At least have the courtesy to not kill your Alien friend while he is ripping a human's head off :(

#22 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2413 posts) -

First match on got onto I was playing the predator,which felt a bit clunky, I also couldent find any weapons for it.2nd match I played I was marine which was actually pretty fun.Despite the connection issues,Im liking it so far,the level design is very detailed and close to the movies.I'm not really sold on it yet though.

#23 Posted by ElectricBoogaloo (352 posts) -

Only played one game, finished 3rd with an Alien with 12 kills.

Didn't really like it that much. Trying to navigate with the Alien seems harder than it should be, particularly in tight spaces, and the combat is fairly boring since you just end up hitting the attack button. The stealth kills are pretty cool, though I can see them getting old, and the Predator seemed too overpowered with both the ranged and close quarters attacks. I was never really interested in it to begin with despite my love for both film franchises, and this demo did nothing to pursuade me otherwise. I'll give it another go just to try the other classes, but I doubt I'll pick it up unless it reviews favourably.

#24 Edited by handlas (2659 posts) -
@BigBoss1911 said:

" First match on got onto I was playing the predator,which felt a bit clunky, I also couldent find any weapons for it.2nd match I played I was marine which was actually pretty fun.Despite the connection issues,Im liking it so far,the level design is very detailed and close to the movies.I'm not really sold on it yet though. "

Predator weapons will have little red icons around them.  You can hold down left trigger and he will go into "focus mode" which will show you where all the weapons are no matter how far away from them you are.  (just a little FYI because I couldn't figure out how to use my weapons when I was Predator the first couple of times)

Also, for your plasma weapon (whatever it is called) and these mines you can get....you gotta recharge your energy on these light things.  I thought that was kinda kewl as sort of ammo for the Predator.  There is one room on this map that is like Predator territory.  It has the plasma gun and rafters at the top that the Predator can jump up to that pretty much make it a slaughter room if you are a human or alien.
#25 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

i wasn't a fan of the predator, the alien was pretty cool when you killed someone (awesome gore) but my favorite was the humans, running around with a flashlight, motion sensor beeps, spray and pray, being the humans are really intense

im probably never gonna play the game but being humans was awesome

#26 Posted by AstralDisaster (117 posts) -

i'm not impressed. so far...

#27 Posted by eclipsesis (1242 posts) -

On the PS3 i have been unable to get into any game

#28 Posted by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -
@Diamond said:
" People who block simply never get a chance to attack. "
That's not true. Blocking an attack can throw an enemy offguard, and you can follow up with an instakill ability.
#29 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -
@jmrwacko said:
" @Diamond said:
" People who block simply never get a chance to attack. "
That's not true. Blocking an attack can throw an enemy offguard, and you can follow up with an instakill ability. "
i got into a battle, alien vs alien, and we both kept blocking each other, until a preadator came and killed us both
#30 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2462 posts) -

The game flat out sucks.  It's basically Turok without dinosaurs. 

#31 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@jmrwacko: I kept slamming some dudes that would try to block me, the timing isn't such that you can effectively make a comeback attack if the attacker is just hammering quick attacks.
#32 Posted by Demigonis (192 posts) -
@Diamond: I think that's only the case in laggy matches (which are common currently with whatever is messed up with the match-making) I had a game or two that were pretty smooth where I was able to strategically block and counter. It'll probably also get easier as people get used to the game. It's kind of hardcore and has a learning curve so a lot of people are just kind of charging people and flailing. It should also get quite a bit more tactical when we're able to play team-games and such and it isn't so chaotic.
#33 Posted by Grum (8 posts) -

I have to say that I enjoyed the implied potential of the demo moreso than the actual demo. Running around as an Alien was a blast in the old games and continues to be a blast. The Predators feel like the stealthy killing machines(too bad their finisher animations take so long to run through). That leaves the bait-I mean the marines, while they are still insanely fun to play with the feeling of vulnerability; I've yet to see a marine actually win a match. Of course this could be due to the relatively low skill level of the playerbase and might even out as people get better with their chosen species

The hot-button topic at the moment seems to be the melee combat, personally, I like it. Its simple enough that the inexperienced can still go around flailing and pick off a couple kills, but for me the real fun meat comes in when you've got multiple experienced players in a melee duel(except when its ruined by an explosion, so disappointing)

#34 Edited by DanGuy (278 posts) -
@Diamond said:

" I was thinking about the balance and really it's not too balanced.  The predator can turn invisible, has the vision modes, have the most powerful short range attacks and most powerful long ranged attacks, and can move the fastest both in normal moving and sprinting.  The alien can walk on walls and ceiling (really not terribly useful unless you're playing against idiots), and can see enemies through walls (much better than marine radar). The marine just starts with a long ranged attack and has the vague radar system, and has to pick up health. "

Out of the three I liked Predator the least. Even though they had invisibility it wasn't that hard to spot them, also Aliens are the fastest. And Marines, even though they're not the funnest class to play as they're weapons are pretty affective.
#35 Posted by Mourne (789 posts) -

I thought it was fantastic and very well balanced. I was able to have success with all three consistently, even in the mayhem that is 8 player deathmatch on that map. Looking forward to the full game.

#36 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@MAN_FLANNEL said:
" The game flat out sucks.  It's basically Turok without dinosaurs.  "
Not really, but whatever you say.
#37 Edited by MuddaShukka (52 posts) -

Yeah i agree that playing as a marine is really boring but playing as an alien or a predator is pretty freakin sweet
#38 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

So far it seems pretty interesting. Playing as an alien is pretty awesome and grabbing some unsuspecting fool is always satisfying. Though, in the end it all seems kind of like a gimmick. Hopefully the final game expands more on the ideas set in motion.

#39 Posted by Errordotocx (119 posts) -

I was able to round up several friends last night and play it even though that matchmaking BS had a problem and at first I was like....well I dunno about this, everything seems so much different from the other two games. But then after a few hours it started to grow on me and become fun. Tonight after steam FINALLY came back up I played for an hour.  I decided to JUST stick with Marine for the time being because it seemed the hardest for me to get used to last night. The verdict for tonight is that I had an absolute blast playing the marine. I ended up with like 24 kills and 3 deaths in the end with a 16 kill killingspree. Fun fun fun

If you are having a hard time with marine I would recommend that you bind Melee to a good button or key. For the time being I have mine bound to the F key. But really, it seems so far that Marines rely heavily on the melee. I had two aliens and a pred on me and was able to take them out with the help of melee. I would also recommend picking up the Pulse Rifle grenades. They are good for double kills and if it doesn't kill the enemies it stuns them I believe.

#40 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@DukeTogo: 

That's a bit rough isn't it?  The AVP franchise has had legs enough to have made two (fucking awful) movies after the two PC AVP games and the one on Jag, so I think it's a pretty clear indication that the franchise needed an update to keep up with demand.  I can understand your point of view, but it's little negative to say the least. I think it's cool to be able to experience the AVP story with much needed visual and physics upgrades, AVP2 for PC is almost 10 years old.  Back then most of what we saw via Lithtech was not very believable and the game had to use monster closets and respawns to engage enemy contact.  I'm glad for the new game.

Knowing Rebellion, they'll probably release a single player demo eventually, after the game is out.  The multiplayer demo is looking pretty decent for deathmatch, I hope the other modes and maps have a lot more variety.
#41 Posted by fishmicmuffin (1041 posts) -

Downloaded it, booted it up, tried to get into a quick match..... to no avail. Still haven't had it work. This is on the PC, by the way. So if I get it to work I'll post with my thoughts. Based on the quick look, however, it seems as if it's fairly standard FPS fare.

#42 Edited by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -
@fishmicmuffin said:

" Downloaded it, booted it up, tried to get into a quick match..... to no avail. Still haven't had it work. This is on the PC, by the way. So if I get it to work I'll post with my thoughts. Based on the quick look, however, it seems as if it's fairly standard FPS fare. "

I was having the same issues yesterday, but then I re-downloaded it off Steam this morning and got into game upon game with no issues. I loved it btw. 
#43 Posted by evanbrau (1162 posts) -

What were they thinking making a multiplayer demo, in particular a demo of the multiplayer mode that was far and away the least interesting in the other games. However I think it plays well enough that the single player will be good.

#44 Posted by Workyticket (108 posts) -

I'm enjoying it, albeit slightly less so than my first session. Those grabs from behind are a real pain in the arse, and I just can't seem to get the hang of blocking/countering (Though that could just be down to lack of practice) I think the other modes will be a lot more fun, vanilla DM always feels a bit drab to me.

#45 Posted by wwfundertaker (1396 posts) -

The game so far looks good, except the marine class.

#46 Posted by G0rd0nFr33m4n (762 posts) -

I just played my first game and I gotta say epic fail... if you want to sell a game in 2010 why in the name of fucktards everywhere would you put a demo up that has the most lame game mode ever?... I fucking hate deathmatch! the fact that games still include it today confuses the fuck out of me. Since the age of 4 we're taught as humans to work together (aka team work), and then this mode just strips all the fun out of doing that... if I could play a team game and see what its like for a bunch of aliens to gang up and kill a bunch of marines and such... I might have bought this game if the experience was fun, but as of right now with this demo... they lost a sale is all I'm sayin....lol I wanted to buy this game! ... but if this is what Rebellion puts out as there  "hey if you like this you'll like this game :D" then damn... I just can't do it....
#47 Posted by Sarnecki (690 posts) -

Well...  It's a step down from my favorite multiplayer game of all time, Aliens Vs Predator 2...  But I don't know the full feature set yet...  
 Just a question, as the marine, is the infamous counter for melee moves a Block and then fire, or a melee and then fire?

#48 Posted by Sarnecki (690 posts) -

I don't know.  There seems to be far less weapons than AVP2 which have all been simplified...  Apparantly you can only change skins and not classes, which means there's only three skill sets instead of about 12...  It seems to me it's a step back from a game made 10 years ago.

#49 Posted by Sarnecki (690 posts) -

How do you fire the damn plasma caster?!

#50 Posted by warxsnake (2635 posts) -

hold on my stomach is churning ill get back to you..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.