Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Aliens vs. Predator

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Feb 16, 2010

The third game in the popular AvP franchise. Players are be able to control one of the three deadly species in a fight for survival.

AvP Multiplayer Demo Sucks

Tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Tomarlyn

Actually managed to get a few matches in last night for the first time. Servers haven't been running properly for the PS3 version. 

Fugly interface, clunky controls, poorly balanced species and the aiming just feels wrong (like lazy PC port wrong). Although the graphics are ok and its got a really creepy atmosphere.  

I'm hoping the single player is great, I'm a huge fan of the movies and the original games. But unless your into Quake or UT then the multiplayer gameplay is very forgettable. I might wait and get the PC version once I upgrade it. 

Anyone else less than impressed with the demo?
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CptBedlam

1. The original games had issues, too. Especially the first one (which I still like a tad more than the second game). The issues didn't take away from the experience much though since it's a one of a kind game. No other game offers the species variety in SP and MP. So if you liked AVP1&2 and love the movies, you'll probably like the new AVP. 

2. Usually people who always complain about balancing issues haven't really figured the MP yet. If you can handle your species, you're gonna be successful. The Alien and Predator take a longer time to master though and I'm pretty sure the alien controls will draw lots of criticism in many tests - you need patience to figure out how to play the alien properly and even then it's still a bit clunky.

edit: I'm halfway through each campaign btw.

JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By JeevesPleez

First of all, nobody plays AvP for the Deathmatch mode. I'd wait until you get a chance to play infestation, predator hunt, and survival before you dismiss multiplayer. I certainly can't wait.

Yeah, the controls are a little clunky compared to a call of duty or something, but I turned the sensitivity up a little and I was fine. At least they feel like they have some weight to them.

As far as the balance, as long as everyone plays smart and keeps their head on a swivel, everyone has a good chance at winning. I played as a marine a lot and expected to get messed up every time. Instead, I usually came out on top.

...and next time, you might want to tag the game when making a thread. I made the same mistake.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Tomarlyn said:
    " But unless your into Quake or UT then the multiplayer gameplay is very forgettable. Anyone else less than impressed with the demo? "
    So if you're into good skilled based shooters get AvP???

But yea sarcasm aside, seems like a skip for me, and I even have a PC that could run it easy.
    JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By JJGIANT
    @JeevesPleez said:
    " First of all, nobody plays AvP for the Deathmatch mode. I'd wait until you get a chance to play infestation, predator hunt, and survival before you dismiss multiplayer. I certainly can't wait.  Yeah, the controls are a little clunky compared to a call of duty or something, but I turned the sensitivity up a little and I was fine. At least they feel like they have some weight to them. As far as the balance, as long as everyone plays smart and keeps their head on a swivel, everyone has a good chance at winning. I played as a marine a lot and expected to get messed up every time. Instead, I usually came out on top.  ...and next time, you might want to tag the game when making a thread. I made the same mistake. "
    Totally agree. Deathmatch aint what AVP is about. Although I guess you could put the blame on Rebellion for releasing a deathmatch only demo. Kinda stupid.
    CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CaptainObvious

I disagree, I really enjoyed the demo.

Tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Tomarlyn
     @CptBedlam said:

" edit: I'm halfway through each campaign btw. " 

As good as AvP 2?? (my favourite). Mainly concerened about the Marine campaign. Its not out in europe for a few more days.

@JeevesPleez said:

" ...and next time, you might want to tag the game when making a thread. I made the same mistake. " 

Ah, didn't know about that.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By TwoOneFive

man the defense force is in... full force. 

JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JeevesPleez
    @TwoOneFive: Hey man, they're just opinions, just like the OP's. Do you have anything constructive to add?
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @JeevesPleez said:
    " @TwoOneFive: Hey man, they're just opinions, just like the OP's. Do you have anything constructive to add? "
    aww did i hurt your feelings?
    JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JeevesPleez
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " @JeevesPleez said:
    " @TwoOneFive: Hey man, they're just opinions, just like the OP's. Do you have anything constructive to add? "
    aww did i hurt your feelings? "
    Nope, just sayin' it like it is. You're entitled to your opinion, too... if you had one, that is.
    Avatar image for doctor_blowhole
    Doctor_Blowhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Doctor_Blowhole

I tried the demo out and couldn't get it to to work... I'm really wanting to trying this game too. 

This might be an obscure reference for some but... does this play anything like Pirates Vikings and Knights for Source engine? 

I was a babay when the first AvP games came out so i have no idea how this thing feels.
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ArchScabby

I thought it was okay.  Wouldn't play it seriously like MW2 or anything, but it would be fun for a little while.  Although you are right, it does seem to have some balancing issues.  Like if you don't want to win then play as an alien, if you want to win play as a predator.

Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Burns09

Aliens are the shit. I love the wall climbing mechanics.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.