Gamespot gives AVP 5.5

#1 Posted by McBEEF (360 posts) -

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/aliensvspredatorworkingtitle/review.html?tag=topslot;readlink;1 

Most of you probably know this already but I thought i'd stick a link to the newest review.

2 different reviewers so far have given the game a score of 8 or above, but another 2 have given the game a rating of only about 5 or 6.

#2 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

It was never going to be what fans of the original one's wanted...Which is a shame.

#3 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1004 posts) -

Yeah, it's turning out to be a very you either love it or hate it game. Very splitting on both reviewer's and people playing it. I'm a fan though, so I'll be getting it today.
#4 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -

Well, i suppose they just did not see the potential for it as a great game. However Gamespot sometimes rates poorly on games, so i don't always believe everything they say. I have yet to try it yet, so i don't know if it is 5.5 material or not.

#5 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

Hey, guess what? 

This game was made by Rebellion. 'Nuff said. There's no surprises here.

#6 Posted by Jerusahat (139 posts) -
#7 Posted by Sarnecki (693 posts) -

Well, I guess if you get it it's to enjoy multiplayer...  Now to determine if that's worth my time.

#8 Posted by jNerd (2011 posts) -

Well that's ok, because I give GameSpot a 5.5

#9 Posted by Toxin066 (3279 posts) -

The game didn't look that impressive, so I'm not surprised.

#10 Posted by Liminality (444 posts) -

I refuse to accept this...

THIS IS MADNESS!

#11 Posted by lubbs (6 posts) -

hmm lots of mixed reviews, was kind of looking foward to playing this game now i'm having 2 thoughts about buying.. WTF!!!

#12 Posted by Computerplayer1 (991 posts) -

Not that it may not deserve it but....

*cough* VanOrd Effect *cough*

#13 Posted by iizcallum (606 posts) -
@XII_Sniper: That's what I was thinking... when people were hyping it up, I looked it up a bit and saw it was made by Rebellion, and I just thought '... didn't they make Rogue Warrior..?' xD
#14 Posted by Heartagram (1181 posts) -

This game looks like a definite rent. 

#15 Posted by Skytylz (4031 posts) -

that sounds about right

#16 Edited by ReaperOfLiving (491 posts) -

A friend bet me that if the overall Alien Vs. Predator (PS3) score was a 90 or above I would have to eat my hat.  A 72 is nowhere near a 90 so he is now deciding on a hat.  What an idiot.  Betting on a Rebellion game.  XD

#17 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

If only they had Mickey Rourke voice the Space Marines, all of this bad press could've been avoided.

#18 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2434 posts) -
@emkeighcameron said:
" If only they had Mickey Rourke voice the Space Marines, all of this bad press could've been avoided. "
The terrible voice acting is the only thing I don't like about the game.
#19 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

Dude...its gamespot.
#20 Posted by AngelicRampage (110 posts) -

the games not great, but its not horrible either

its an alright game, still fun though, especially predator hunt and infestation

#21 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

5.5 is a shame. I am still leaning towards picking it up.

#22 Posted by demonbear (1859 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" Hey, guess what?  This game was made by Rebellion. 'Nuff said. There's no surprises here. "
Agreed.
#23 Posted by StingingVelvet (569 posts) -
@Jerusahat said:
"
Jeff tweeted that he's not digging it so far. "

And yet I am at the end of the marine campaign and think it is freaking awesome. 

I really don't get reviews.  I don't get why games like Halo and Call of Duty get high scores and never get called out on repetition or a lack of innovation while a game from a less popular developer gets completely slagged for not being the next big thing.  It just baffles me... playing AvP3 I am struck by what an amazing game it is for emulating the Aliens experience, which is exactly what it should do.  The mood, the lighting, the way the machine gun sprays, the way they attack you... just perfect.  Not sure what the hell else they could have done honestly other than making it not an Aliens game. 

So whatever.
#24 Posted by TorgoGrooves89 (346 posts) -

I was extremely excited about this game, but the fact is a lot of the negative reviews are starting to put me off. Even if they have come from sites i don't put that much faith in. I still would like to buy it but when you can only afford a few games a month and the choice is so large. . . well, games with mixed reviews end up going on my rental list. If i enjoy it then i'll probably pick it up when it goes below £20. Mind you, i still haven't played the demo yet, so that might change my mind .
#25 Posted by L33tfella_H (901 posts) -
@iizcallum said:
" @XII_Sniper: That's what I was thinking... when people were hyping it up, I looked it up a bit and saw it was made by Rebellion, and I just thought '... didn't they make Rogue Warrior..?' xD "
they also made the original AvP on PC which, at the time was pretty awesome. So far, there have been Review scores going UP and DOWN the board on this one, so we'll have to wait for more reviews, or try the game ourselves and make our own opinions (which we'll end up doing anyway!)
#26 Posted by Belonpopo (1823 posts) -

It's a 5 this game is not good.

#27 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I wasn't impressed with the demo at all. I don't think the campaigns could be much better...

#28 Posted by EvolutionX0 (413 posts) -

I really don't think that the game deserved to be par with avatar the game.  

#29 Posted by Jugganut (18 posts) -

The demo was ok, but it did not impress me.  It feels like a rent and no more, unless you're avid fan of the franchise needing a fix

#30 Posted by Liminality (444 posts) -
@StingingVelvet said:
" @Jerusahat said:
"
Jeff tweeted that he's not digging it so far. "
And yet I am at the end of the marine campaign and think it is freaking awesome.  I really don't get reviews.  I don't get why games like Halo and Call of Duty get high scores and never get called out on repetition or a lack of innovation while a game from a less popular developer gets completely slagged for not being the next big thing.  It just baffles me... playing AvP3 I am struck by what an amazing game it is for emulating the Aliens experience, which is exactly what it should do.  The mood, the lighting, the way the machine gun sprays, the way they attack you... just perfect.  Not sure what the hell else they could have done honestly other than making it not an Aliens game.  So whatever. "
I completely agree.
#31 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

Jeff gave the game a 2/5, which isn't a huge leap from a 5.5

#32 Posted by LiquidPrince (15909 posts) -

I'm pretty sure the game isn't gonna be that good. At least that's what I'd wager.

#33 Posted by immike (714 posts) -

After playing the demo, I lost interest pretty quick. The aliens were a nightmare to control properly and the marines felt kinda outmatched. It was fun for a little bit though and I imagine it's a good rental at the very least.

#34 Posted by Bombs_Away (1010 posts) -

I laugh at everyone that had a go at Gamespot for giving it a 5.5 and now you're all gonna suck Jeff's dick cause he gave it 2/5 and pray at his feet. There is never much difference between Gamespot and Giantbomb reviews. They still know each other and have similar philosophies when it comes to reviewing games.

#35 Edited by Evilsbane (4592 posts) -

I had fun with the PC multiplayer, the Xbox demo was a little janky, I still really want to try the game on PC, just because I don't see how its That bad, the demo maxed out looked STUNNING, not just good, it looked fantastic, but that is One map with only the most basic stuff on, Plus the Horde mode is the skirmish mode from the first AVP which was Awesome.

#36 Edited by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -
@Godlyawesomeguy said:

" Dude...its gamespot. "

Exactly. Oh and umm.. your name's not that awesome, no offence.
#37 Posted by nanikore (2740 posts) -
@Bombs_Away said:
" I laugh at everyone that had a go at Gamespot for giving it a 5.5 and now you're all gonna suck Jeff's dick cause he gave it 2/5 and pray at his feet. There is never much difference between Gamespot and Giantbomb reviews. They still know each other and have similar philosophies when it comes to reviewing games. "
WATCH OUT GUYS! 

BOMBS_AWAY IS GOING TO NAME AND SHAME YOU!
#38 Posted by Snail (8594 posts) -

WHO THE FUCK DIDN'T SEE THIS COMING? 

Every trailer looked terrible. You could tell the controls would suck by the trailer, it seemed that awful. And then de demo? Oh God, that sucked so much.

#39 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -
@Alphiehyr said:
"@Godlyawesomeguy said:

" Dude...its gamespot. "

Exactly. Oh and umm.. your name's not that awesome, no offence. "

I have taken some offence.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.