OXM gives 8/10 for AVP.

#1 Edited by McBEEF (360 posts) -

This small portion of the review is available on OXM's website, and the full review will be on the shelves tommorow. Seems to contrast with the previous review that was posted, and makes me want this game even more. All credit to OXM. Sorry bout the advertisement just quickly copied it over.

'We compliment developer Rebellion on "clearly knowing the universe inside out", adding that the UK firm has created "an authentic and utterly terrifying Aliens experience".

"AvP isn't the prettiest game, but it has moments of striking scale and subtle detail that make it one of the most atmospheric."

However, playing as a space marine is far more enjoyable than playing as Predator or an Alien, which is "just not as good."

"The alien is the weakest of the three. It's difficult to fashion a narrative around an oversized, mindless insect." 

So, what are your thoughts?

#2 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -

Well deserved.This is the score for this game.8.
#3 Posted by CitizenKane (10502 posts) -

I'll put it on my GameFly list.

#4 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5137 posts) -
@FirePrince said:
"Well deserved.This is the score for this game.8. "

Isn;t this game suppose to come out in six days, how do you know how much it deserves?
#5 Posted by pause422 (6172 posts) -

I really don't understand how a single review, from OXM of all places makes people somehow certain of ANY game all the sudden, but okay.

#6 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

OXM reviews mean nothing to me. Once IGN review it i'll know whether i'll be interested in this.

#7 Posted by Jambones (1696 posts) -

I was expecting more of a solid 6-7 out of ten, so I am pleasantly surprised by OXM; but I think I am going to have to wait until more reviews are in.

#8 Posted by heatDrive88 (2267 posts) -

I will not take a review seriously from a group that gave Turtles in Time Re-Shelled a perfect score.
#9 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

An 8 is a good score, but I believe GI game it like a 4 or something. I'll have to wait and see how the game does, before I make a decision.

#10 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
@heatDrive88 said:
" I will not take a review seriously from a group that gave Turtles in Time Re-Shelled a perfect score. "
lmao, that magazine is garbage.  
PTOM is way more reliable though. they give shit scores to exclusives all the time
#11 Posted by JokerClown88 (1051 posts) -

Game Informer gave it a 5.75 I think.
#12 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I don't care about the scores on this game anymore to be honest.  I love the demo, I love the Aliens franchise, and I love the Predator franchise.  I'll be buying this game.

#13 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -

And GameInformer gave it a 5.5. Now I haven't played the game yet, but considering how awful the movie was, I highly doubt the game is significantly better than the movie. Besides I don't usually trust magazines that exclusively review games that came out for a specific console. Everyone has a bias, but that is just too much for me.

#14 Edited by Driadon (2995 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
" @Fullmetal216 said:
" And GameInformer gave it a 5.5. Now I haven't played the game yet, but considering how awful the movie was, I highly doubt the game is significantly better than the movie. Besides I don't usually trust magazines that exclusively review games that came out for a specific console. Everyone has a bias, but that is just too much for me. "
  There are three AvP videogames which pre-date the movies.  "
And the movies where the worst translation I have ever seen of a comic series that started before the games even came out.   

I'll throw this on my Gameaccess queue, I actually had some fun playing the the abilities in the demo, even if deathmatch was crap.
#15 Posted by PerryVandell (2103 posts) -
@Linkyshinks: I see the second AvP was pretty good but others... Not so much. I haven't played any in the series but from what I have seen of the game (which admittedly isn't very much) it doesn't impress.
#16 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1002 posts) -

IGN UK gave it an 8.5, seems the consensus is in the 8 margin, not the 5.75 Game Informer gave it.

#17 Edited by jakob187 (21642 posts) -
@Linkyshinks: You meant Ridley Scott AND James Cameron, right?  Without Cameron, the space Marines wouldn't even be in there... 

Nonetheless, I'm more interested now that I'm seeing better scores coming out for it.  I'm still going to play it anyways, and I don't know why I'm so focused on review scores for this game when I usually just don't give a shit about review scores at all. 

@Driadon: And these games are NOT based on the movies.  They ARE based on the comics.  Hell, the movies weren't even based on the comics.  They just used it as a selling point.  =  / 
#18 Posted by big_jon (5709 posts) -

Demo is alright.
#19 Edited by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -
@Bobby_The_Great said: 

" IGN UK gave it an 8.5, seems the consensus is in the 8 margin, not the 5.75 Game Informer gave it. "

Here's a direct link to that review:  

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/106/1068446p1.html    [8.5] 

@jakob187:

I meant to say only Ridley Scott, it was the Englishmen that set the foundation for Cameron to follow. I was referring to the fear inducing mechanics Scott uses and set in place for the whole franchise. The playing on the innate human fears, of being inseminated and having an Alien growth growing inside of you, the camera work which intensified Claustrophobia, sharp sounds, high contrast lighting, and moving shadows etc. Not the premise, instead the bare bones.     

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.