Rebellion CEO calling out Giant Bomb?

• 106 results
#1 Edited by JokerSmilez (1293 posts) -
 http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/22/rebellion-boss-avp-is-a-critical-success-sequel-in-discussion/

So, apparently Jason Kingsley of Rebellion is happy with both the commercial and critical success of AvP, although he does point out "three totally shit reviews by some Americans." According to Metacritic, the 3 lowest reviews (the ones in red) are Giant Bomb, Game Revolution and 1UP. Just thought it was interesting. I wonder if this will sour relations between the Giant Bomb crew and Rebellion in the future. Somehow I doubt they'll be a Quicklook EX of AvP 2...
#2 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!!

#3 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

Well Giantbomb has pretty sufficiently trashed both Rogue Warrior and AvP (and rightly so, on both counts), so it doesn't surprise me that the Rebellion CEO might be a little heated. But who gives a fuck? Maybe if he made some decent games once in a while I'd give a rat's ass what he thought.

#4 Posted by swamplord666 (1757 posts) -

Classy of them. "these three reviewers didn't like our game so their review is shit!"

#5 Edited by Darkstar614 (1098 posts) -

I like how he's like "if you discount those reviews, the game is good". You could say that about literrally anything. If you discount all the negative reviews, it becomes good.

#6 Posted by Venatio (4482 posts) -

Well both Rogue Warrior and AvP are pieces of shit soo.....

#7 Posted by Toxin066 (3257 posts) -
@Venatio said:
" Well both Rogue Warrior and AvP are pieces of shit soo..... "
couldn't have put it better myself
#8 Edited by pause422 (6172 posts) -

Their game isn't that good, and a reviewer gave it a deserved score. Hes a developer, he should be used to this..especially being in Rebellion and not making a good game in fucking years. He can go fuck himself.

#9 Posted by PufferFiz (1376 posts) -
@JokerSmilez said:
"  http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/22/rebellion-boss-avp-is-a-critical-success-sequel-in-discussion/  So, apparently Jason Kingsley of Rebellion is happy with both the commercial and critical success of AvP, although he does point out " three totally shit reviews by some Americans." According to Metacritic, the 3 lowest reviews (the ones in red) are Giant Bomb, Game Revolution and 1UP. Just thought it was interesting. I wonder if this will sour relations between the Giant Bomb crew and Rebellion in the future. Somehow I doubt they'll be a Quicklook EX of AvP 2... "
why does the GB review only come up on the 360 version? Sure he played it on the 360 but it applies to all of the version.
#10 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

Teh internetz be some motherfucking rap beef 

#11 Edited by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

The British are coming! The British are coming!

Seriously, I wouln'd take it to seriously. I think that's a little reactionary. I'm sitting here in London playing it, and to be honest, it ain't that great.

[EDIT] And Jeff could totally kick the piss out of him.

#12 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

Well it's entirely his fault that his company's games suck.

#13 Posted by demonbear (1859 posts) -

Rebellion is not a good video game studio. That's it.

#14 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

OH SNAP!

#15 Posted by masterherocard (419 posts) -

I can understand commercial sucess (it sold way more than it should have, and only did i think because of the brand), but critical sucess? It's metascore (If we go with that) is a 65, and barely anyone broke the 80 mark. It looks like an average game at best. 

Still, since it sold we can expect a sequel. Shame when games like these get sequels when the real good ones don't.  

/endrant
#16 Posted by MrJared (397 posts) -

I read his quote and thought to myself, "This is why we can't have nice things."

#17 Posted by Andorski (5203 posts) -

He should go on the Bombcast and defend his game. That would make a great listen.

#18 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

That seems quite unprofessional. 

#19 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2414 posts) -

The game is good but I think hes a little to full of himself.

#20 Posted by Delta_Ass (3255 posts) -

I guess I could kinda see why he'd say that. Jeff's review was a little on the short side.

#21 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

The game isn't as bad as people say it is in my opinion.

#22 Posted by Evilsbane (4544 posts) -

The PC version seems like a pretty solid game, but all reviews on the console version are completely justified, it sucks on the consoles.

#23 Posted by Willy105 (4688 posts) -
@EvilTwin said:
" That seems quite unprofessional.  "
Not much of a profession.
#24 Posted by sandwich_adjustment (685 posts) -

ooouee a prima donna.  

im too blind to see the 1UP and Giantbomb on metacritic reviews scores list?? cause theres none there. the lowest it got is from gamespot which is damn low compared to everyone else. 55% lol

#25 Posted by Gamer_152 (14058 posts) -
"If you discount those poor reviews AvP is averaging high for us."
Really, if we take out the reviews that scored your game low the average score the game received will increase? I don't blame a creator for being proud of their work but Kingsley really does seem to simply be suggesting that any review that didn't rate his game highly is a poor review by default. It's an ignorant and unprofessional attitude.
#26 Posted by Turtlemayor333 (510 posts) -

I don't have a problem with him being enthusiastic, if maybe a little aggressive. The problem is that in addition to that, he's totally delusional. 

Just how low was the bar set here? Metascore of 50 or something?

#27 Posted by sandwich_adjustment (685 posts) -

wait did they remove the 1up and GB reviews?

#28 Posted by Baillie (4040 posts) -
@sandwich_adjustment: It looks like it... Sad.
#29 Posted by august (3827 posts) -

NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION

also

VIDEO GAMES

#30 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

well you forget it's Rebellion makers of really bad games. 
It's like losing the friendship of a rapist

#31 Posted by L33tfella_H (901 posts) -

'If you disregard any review that wasn't atleast 4/5, we've got a pretty good game!'

I'm still interested in checking out AvP, but he's got a bit of a mouth on him (atleast he ain't no Randy Pitchford when it comes to talking bull).

#32 Posted by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -

Fuck those idiots, they can't handle criticism on there shitty games they shouldn't be making them.

#33 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

I thought the exact same thing when I read this at Joystiq.
#34 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Someone sounds a little butt hurt...

#35 Posted by Bolt (154 posts) -

isn't  everyone of the sites Independent ones? I know GB and GR are, not sure about 1up.

#36 Edited by xyzygy (9899 posts) -
@PufferFiz said:

" @JokerSmilez said:

"  http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/22/rebellion-boss-avp-is-a-critical-success-sequel-in-discussion/  So, apparently Jason Kingsley of Rebellion is happy with both the commercial and critical success of AvP, although he does point out " three totally shit reviews by some Americans." According to Metacritic, the 3 lowest reviews (the ones in red) are Giant Bomb, Game Revolution and 1UP. Just thought it was interesting. I wonder if this will sour relations between the Giant Bomb crew and Rebellion in the future. Somehow I doubt they'll be a Quicklook EX of AvP 2... "
why does the GB review only come up on the 360 version? Sure he played it on the 360 but it applies to all of the version. "
I'm pretty sure that whenever they review Multiplatform games, they always do the 360 version. I have never seen it done any other way on this website. Even if you look at Quick Looks, it's always the 360 version.  

@CL60 said:
" The game isn't as bad as people say it is in my opinion. "
I agree. I'm seeing a lot of people just jump on the bandwagon of Jeff's review and don't really think for themselves. There are a lot of sheep on this site :P
#37 Posted by Korwin (2831 posts) -

In AVP2 the marine protagonist will be having a concert on an predator planet with the rest of his squad.  On completion of the concert the predator's admit they they dont really have the cash to pay them but instead offer a crystal skull as payment.  However the aliens swoop in at the last second in helicopters and steal the Marine teams skull.

What follows is a bloody tale of revenge, love and rap music.

(I assume this is the standard plot outline for all bad games that sell un-justified millions)

#38 Posted by L33tfella_H (901 posts) -
@Korwin said:
(I assume this is the standard plot outline for all bad games that sell un-justified millions) "
If you're referring to Blood on the Sand, didn't someone say it sold 5x less than the original game?
#39 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -
@Gamer_152 said:
" "If you discount those poor reviews AvP is averaging high for us."
Really, if we take out the reviews that scored your game low the average score the game received will increase? I don't blame a creator for being proud of their work but Kingsley really does seem to simply be suggesting that any review that didn't rate his game highly is a poor review by default. It's an ignorant and unprofessional attitude. "
He is totally fucking delusional.

If you don't count the people that hate me, everyone likes me too.
#40 Posted by Spiral_Stars (456 posts) -

AvP is pretty garbage.

#41 Posted by JP_Russell (1171 posts) -

Ha, ha, "some Americans." 

"Those Americans and their shitty reviews!"

#42 Posted by Shadz (198 posts) -

So a 65% on Metacritic (Xbox 360 Version) is considered "critical success"?

#43 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

Converting Giantbomb's score takes it out of context though =/
Which is what metacritic does.

And doesn't the same apply for 1up?

#44 Posted by Jimbo (9775 posts) -
@Darkstar614 said:

" I like how he's like "if you discount those reviews, the game is good". You could say that about literrally anything. If you discount all the negative reviews, it becomes good. "

^^ I laughed when I read that too.  In fact, I'm going to start applying those rules to everything I do in life.

"We wanted Aliens Versus Predator to be a critical success as well as a commercial success, which we think we have achieved."  

Uh, no you didn't.  You're sitting at or just below the average metacritic score.
#45 Posted by HistoryInRust (6275 posts) -

I understand the sentiment of developers feeling attacked when their games don't fare well critically. I'm sure it's not like they intended to make a terrible product.

But, realistically, they need to suck it the hell up. Two months into the year and we already have 2010's Too Human. Where's Denis Dyack slamming reviewers when we need him?

#46 Posted by JokerSmilez (1293 posts) -
#47 Posted by angelkanarias (1440 posts) -

They won't do anything, bad press is part of the game.

#48 Posted by wwfundertaker (1396 posts) -

He`s talking like the game got a perfect score.

#49 Posted by Odyssey (114 posts) -

So does that mean Sega's going to let Gearbox finish their version?

#50 Posted by Snail (8584 posts) -

The game had shit reviews pretty much everywhere. The guy is in denial.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.