Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Aliens vs. Predator

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Feb 16, 2010

The third game in the popular AvP franchise. Players are be able to control one of the three deadly species in a fight for survival.

Rebellion rebels against Australia's Classification Board.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I'm glad someone is finally standing up against those guys, heres the news story from Gamespot. 

Australia's Classification Board has developed a reputation in recent years for its draconian stance on violence in games. This week, the Classification Board effectively banned Sega and Rebellion's Aliens vs. Predator by refusing to grant it an MA 15+ rating, the highest allowable for games. According to the board's decision, AVP's depiction of "explicit decapitation and dismemberment as well as locational damage" was a primary factor for the game's ban.

Australia's Classification Board has decided to not let adults Down Under see what's about to happen next.

Many developers, including Valve and Bethesda, opt to censor their products by toning down the violence to adhere to the Classification Board's standards. However, Rebellion has decided to simply not release AVP in the region. In a statement, the UK-based studio noted that it was upset that the game was refused classification but said that it will not be altering the game to make it acceptable by the Classification Board's standards.

"Rebellion is disappointed that its upcoming title Aliens vs. Predator has been banned in Australia," Rebellion said. "However, as we understand the law in that country, the authorities had no choice as we agree strongly that our game is not suitable for game players who are not adults."

"The content of AVP is based on some of the most innovative and iconic horror movies, and as such we wanted to create a title that was true to the source material. It is for adults, and it is bloody and frightening, that was our intent. We will not be releasing a sanitized or cut down version for territories where adults are not considered by their governments to be able to make their own entertainment choices."

Aliens vs. Predator is due to arrive elsewhere in the world this February for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. For more on the game, check out GameSpot's previous coverage.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ninjakiller

Can't Aussies just buy games online and have them shipped to their homes to get around the ban?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By oldschool

Get a PS3 and import - problem overcome.   It will also be cheaper.

I agree they shouldn't modify it.  If more did the same thing, a groundswell of anger would arise in the public, but at the moment no-one cares as they just get edited.  Then again, our press isn't exactly gamer friendly.  Welcome to the land of the marginalised  :-(

crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By crystalskull2

australians are going to miss the end game rap of AVP where human & predators curse & aliens make noise./sarcasm

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FunExplosions

Good for them. That last quote made me chuckle. You can feel the facetiousness slipping through the cracks. Sucks, though, for the casual gamer adults that might have only bought the game if they were to see it on a store shelf.

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NoDeath

Sadly, them not changing their game isn't going to do anything, not that that means they should change it. I feel like I've said this to people hundreds of times but the problem has nothing to do with the rating board itself. They looked at the game and have more or less said "This has stuff in it that should make it an R rated game". Which, from what I can tell here, is the truth. They're just doing their job. The problem is that we don't have an R rating in Australia. Because of this the board can't classify it and the game cannot be made commercially available within the country. Which, you know, fucking sucks. Why don't we have an R rating? Because when rating games was first introduced the people setting it up assumed there would be no need for it. I mean of course! Games are for kids, right? To be fair that idea at the time wasn't nearly as completely fucking moronic as it is now. It still was really stupid though. Why don't we have a R rating yet? I mean it can't be that hard to make one now that there is a crystal clear need for it? Well in all the discussions that have been had no one seems to have any serious issue with making an R rating for games. With one exception. South Australia Attorney General Michael Atkinson has more or less publicly stated that he will fight tooth and nail to prevent an R rating from being accepted and seeing that his is one of the signatures needed for such a decision to be made, he has an easy time doing just that. Why is he so against an R rating? Well the closest to a coherent argument I have heard from the guy roughly amounts to "Its for the kids! You know.... The kids. You don't want to poison the minds of the kids, right? right!?" Completely missing that KIDS AREN"T SUPPOSED TO PLAY R RATED GAMES! THATS KIND OF THE POINT OF THE RATING SYSTEM IN THE FIRST FUCKING PLACE! Why am I yelling at you? You already know this. You are an intelligent human being. Michael Atkinson, however, is not.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HandsomeDead

This kind of thing needs to happen more otherwise nothing will change.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By c1337us

Games do not get banned in Australia. The board can refuse classification and thus restrict its sale from retail outlets. But the product itself isn't banned. It can be legally obtained and played by ordering online which can often be the cheapest way to buy anyway if a little inconvenient. I am not defending the OFLC on how adult players in this country are disregarded and how game developers treated. But to suggest its being banned is a misnomer.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By lucas_kelly

Eventually if this happens more often retailers will rebel and demand that an R 18+ classification is brought in. Also fuck Michael Atkinson, I hate that cock sucking bastard.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks

Too bad, it's a great game from what I've played of it. 

I will be getting this on 360 and PC. 

SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SolemnOaf
    @NoDeath:
    This might sound strange, but I can sympathize with the Attorney General's take on things.  I'm not familiar with Australian Law, but in the U.S. there's nothing to stop or even dissuade a much too young player from playing a much too mature game for them once they have acquired it.  During my not overly extensive time playing L4D2, I've encountered no less than 3 children under the age of 10 playing it.  I don't even wear my microphone often.  I'm not sure if it offends me because I'm worried what the impact of an experience like L4D on an underaged mind will be, or if it's because of jealousy since my parents would have never let me even get near a game like that, but it offends me.  I don't feel like a child should be able to play a game like that, under any circumstance, neglecting parents or no, and should face consequences for it, such as banning the person from Live and possibly even harsher penalties for the people responsible for allowing it.  So I can see where somebody actually concerened with the development of their children would have a problem with R rated games.  I know that probably totally makes me a traitor to games and gaming as we know it, but that's how I feel. 
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By metal_mills

Bloody hell. :'(

And WTF?  "explicit decapitation and dismemberment as well as locational damage" HELLO? DEAD SPACE ANYONE? THAT PAST ALRIGHT. Fucking arseholes. 

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MeierTheRed

Good to see that they are doing something about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The simple fact is, no matter how much anyone complains, nothing is going to change until Atkinson is out of power. Gamers just have to hope that happens within the next decade.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Evilsbane

Bravo Rebellion Bravo! That was one of the most well written response to a game being banned over there it won't do anything but it is a step in the right direction.

@SolemnOaf:So.. because these kids parents are irresponsible in your eyes they should be punished, your insane I played the Alien game (The FPS) when I was in the single digits and I am not some crazy buffoon there were certain games I wasn't allowed to play but that was more because I had younger sisters and I am talking about being 10-11-12 here and the only one I can even think of was GTA3, as long as you know your kid understands real from fantasy than it is ok. Now I will admit there are some parents who are irresponsible for the stuff they let there kids do but no one should be PUNISHED for playing a game.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Snail

This again?! I thought Aussies were pretty much with this kind of bullshit.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Evilsbane said:

" Bravo Rebellion Bravo! That was one of the most well written response to a game being banned over there it won't do anything but it is a step in the right direction. "

British reserve is awesome. 

It works to shame the inadequacies of their laws.
    SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SolemnOaf
    @Evilsbane:
    If parents can be punished for allowing or encouraging other behavior detrimental to a child's development such as drinking, gambling, exposing them to drug use, etc. than allowing that child to interact with media they're vastly underage for is little different.  A six or seven year-old child should not be able to play an M rated game like Left4Dead, and if the parents are unable or unwilling to adhere to the ratings guidelines then the ability to make that decision should be removed from them and they should incur a penalty for their negligent behavior.  Not so unreasonable, it's a matter of cultural responsibility.
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Kohe321

Is teletubbies allowed in Australia? XD

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EvilTwin

These are the guys who developed Rogue Warrior right?  Why does anyone have any faith in this game?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CL60
    @Bucketdeth said:

"The content of AVP is based on some of the most innovative and iconic horror movies, and as such we wanted to create a title that was true to the source material. It is for adults, and it is bloody and frightening, that was our intent. We will not be releasing a sanitized or cut down version for territories where adults are not considered by their governments to be able to make their own entertainment choices."

:D good for them.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CL60
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Scooper
    @Bucketdeth said:
    "We will not be releasing a sanitized or cut down version for territories where adults are not considered by their governments to be able to make their own entertainment choices."
    I love that line. So true.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EvilTwin
    @CL60 said:
    " @EvilTwin said:

" These are the guys who developed Rogue Warrior right?  Why does anyone have any faith in this game? "

This?  And this one looks just as good. Cause that game was fucking awesome.
    http://www.giantbomb.com/aliens-versus-predator/61-7140/
    "
    Well, call me a pessimist, but I'm guessing the game they made this year is more indicative of their talent than the game they made 10 years ago.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25  Edited By jakob187

Cool, I guess. 

@EvilTwin: Rebellion developed the original AvP.  They won't muck this one up.  As for Rogue Warrior, I'm assuming you were unaware that they took over work on Rogue Warrior that Zombie Studios was developing with UE3 and then had to use their own Asura engine to finish that game up?  Right, so...better research next time will probably lead to the correct assumptions about why Rogue Warrior was such a shit game.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EvilTwin
    @jakob187 said:
    " Cool, I guess. 

@EvilTwin: Rebellion developed the original AvP.  They won't muck this one up.  As for Rogue Warrior, I'm assuming you were unaware that they took over work on Rogue Warrior that Zombie Studios was developing with UE3 and then had to use their own Asura engine to finish that game up?  Right, so...better research next time will probably lead to the correct assumptions about why Rogue Warrior was such a shit game. "
    Sorry, but, regardless of their involvement on it, what self-respecting company would release that garbage?  Having done my research this time, they don't seem to be owned by anyone, which means it was their bright idea to pick that game up.  

Also, according to their website, Rogue Trooper, Sniper Elite, and Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron (all developed by them) were all "critically acclaimed".  My research indicates that these games, in fact, received mediocre to fair reviews and that the only game they've released that could be called anything close to "acclaimed" is Aliens vs. Predator.  Which is a 10 year old game.  Who knows?  Maybe this game will be amazing, but I think my skepticism is healthy.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27  Edited By jakob187
    @EvilTwin: Rogue Warrior was actually the property rights of Bethesda, who commissioned in Zombie Studios to make it.  Once Zombie was off the project, they commissioned the work over to Rebellion.  The only thing that pisses me off about all that...is it means that AvP got delayed because of Demo Dick's shitty game. 

Also, what did you read of those reviews, or did you just look at the Metacritics and say "average numbers are average"?  The only complaint that I can remember out of any Renegade Squadron reviews was "shallow single-player".  Right, because I buy a Battlefront game for SINGLE player.  The multiplayer, on the other hand, was highly praised by pretty much all the reviews of the game, and it was considered to be far better than Battlefront II. 

Meanwhile, Rogue Trooper was an excellent game, and I remember the reviews for it pretty well.  Many of them bitched about the game being under developed, but hell...when your budget is coming from SCi Games...your chances of having a REAL budget is down the shitter.  Personally, I was glad to see that someone was willing to put a game out based on Rogue Trooper, one of the strongest characters out of 2000AD (of which I have been an avid fan of for a while).  They also made Judge Dredd: Dredd vs. Death.  That wasn't a great game by any means, but it was also a rush job since Sierra just wanted to hand them shit for money and have them make the game so they could be out of contract with each other.

I know nothing about Sniper Elite, however.  From what I looked up about it, it seemed to win some awards or something. 

Sorry...but I don't see your skepticism as being healthy or even justified.  I see your skepticism being based on one game that you saw a Quick Look for without any history on, as well as some Metacritic scores.  These guys are rarely given a chance with the projects they want to make because no major publishers want to back them up, and yet they still win awards for the shit that they do!  With Sega, they are given the budget they deserve, the time they deserved, and in turn, they are showing off what looks to be an INCREDIBLE game. 

The ONLY reason I could see anyone being skeptical about the ORIGINAL developer coming back to a franchise that they know well...is the fact that very little promotion is going on for a game that is coming out NEXT MONTH.  That worries me as to whether Sega is just going to let this game be released under the radar and die or if they will actually be putting some major promotion behind it. 

But...to each their own.  Be as skeptical as you need to be.  I haven't personally seen anything that makes me skeptical yet about the game other than what I had just mentioned.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EvilTwin
    @jakob187 said:
    "@EvilTwin: Rogue Warrior was actually the property rights of Bethesda, who commissioned in Zombie Studios to make it.  Once Zombie was off the project, they commissioned the work over to Rebellion.  The only thing that pisses me off about all that...is it means that AvP got delayed because of Demo Dick's shitty game."
    Okay, maybe you can make the argument that they need to pay the bills, but working on this game is just about as far down the ladder as you can fall without hitting the bottom.

@jakob187 said:
    " @EvilTwin: Also, what did you read of those reviews, or did you just look at the Metacritics and say "average numbers are average"?"
    I barely take time to read reviews for games I'm interested in.  Why would I read reviews for games that came out years ago just so I can justify my skepticism for AvP?  In conclusion, average numbers are average.

@jakob187 said:
    " @EvilTwin: Sorry...but I don't see your skepticism as being healthy or even justified.  I see your skepticism being based on one game that you saw a Quick Look for without any history on, as well as some Metacritic scores."
    I don't understand what's wrong with this.  If everything I've seen out of their body of work ranges from poor to mediocre, why shouldn't I be skeptical?  It doesn't mean I'm automatically dismissing the game.  It just means I wouldn't bet money on it being amazing.  
    trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By trylks

That means people will be importing that game in Australia individually, and the Australian government will be getting less money on duties, if this was the norm maybe they would change their mind about this kind of restrictions. I think Rebellion made the right choice.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@SolemnOaf said:
    " @Evilsbane: If parents can be punished for allowing or encouraging other behavior detrimental to a child's development such as drinking, gambling, exposing them to drug use, etc. than allowing that child to interact with media they're vastly underage for is little different.  A six or seven year-old child should not be able to play an M rated game like Left4Dead, and if the parents are unable or unwilling to adhere to the ratings guidelines then the ability to make that decision should be removed from them and they should incur a penalty for their negligent behavior.  Not so unreasonable, it's a matter of cultural responsibility. "

The effects of alcohol and drug use are demonstrable. You just don't like kids playing certain games. Big fucking difference.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.