Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alone in the Dark

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Jun 24, 2008

A reboot of the Alone in the Dark series, once again following Edward Carnby in his fight against the vile creatures of the darkness.

PS3 version to be better, patch for 360 version

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Oni

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=220266

Short version: The PS3 version fixes a lot of complaints people had with the game. On one hand, that's pretty awesome. On the other hand, PC and 360 owners paid 60 smackers for a game that even the developer admits was pretty broken. So I guess it's better than releasing the PS3 version without changing anything, but on the other hand, why didn't they just playtest and tweak it some more so everyone could play a decent game? 360 and PC owners were basically the beta testers for this game, except they had to pay. Gutted. I didn't buy it, but as someone who was interested in this game (until all the reviews), I must admit I might buy it if the patch actually fixes the game to a playable state, it'll even be cheaper. Great for people like me, sucks for early adopters.

I guess it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Ideally, the game would've spent a little more time in development and it would've been like this to begin with. But that's water under the bridge. What do you guys think of this?

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

its not unplayable, it's just boring.  poor controls though.

If theyd fix all the bugs, its stilla 7 at max.

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By AaronBelfast

I'll wait and see what the improvements are. Boy the combat sucked.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By vitor
    Well, rumours are now flying around that the much improved version of the game being released on the PS3 will no longer be making it's way to the 360 as a downloadable patch after all. The reason? My guess is - would Eden rather have you buy the new, improved game or would they prefer you to get a second hand copy (thereby eliminating any financial proceedings which may have gone their way) for less than half the price and yet still get the benefits of all their hard work improving the game?

For people who own both consoles, the decision would be an easy one to make and maybe Eden and Atari have realised this... What do you think? I, personally, am thrilled that they're actually listening to their audience and makign changes. It shows a lot of guts to stand up and admit so soon after released that you did things wrong and I respect them for it. I just hope that those people who gave them the benefit of the doubt in the first place by buying the original 360 and PC versions will have their trust paid back via the patch and that this rumour will remain just that; a rumour and nothing more.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Rowr

if they can fix this game to tolerable standards i will pick it up.

I like the look of the macgyverish inventory system.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Randolph

I'll be honest, I hated the 360 version.  But I'd be lying if the video of the games improvements at GT didn't make me want to buy it again.  I am such a sucker.  Shame they didn't just have all shooting take place in third person, but at least they implemented a proper first person camera. (I really hate it when games do a first person view which makes you feel like you're playing as a floating camera with a gun attached)

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Snail

Maybe now the game will pause whenever you want to change or make weapons. -.-

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Randolph
    Snail said:
    "Maybe now the game will pause whenever you want to change or make weapons. -.-"
    Indeed it does, check out the Gametrailers.com video feature on the PS3 version.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Snail
    Randolph said:
    "Snail said:
    "Maybe now the game will pause whenever you want to change or make weapons. -.-"
    Indeed it does, check out the Gametrailers.com video feature on the PS3 version."
    Awesome!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.