Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alone in the Dark

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Jun 24, 2008

A reboot of the Alone in the Dark series, once again following Edward Carnby in his fight against the vile creatures of the darkness.

This is the first console game that i played and never completed.

BR4DL3I9H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BR4DL3I9H

It's like an OCS thing with me when ir comes to video games on consoles; i always finish them, and if i think for any reason that i won't finish them then i won't start playing, but this is the first game where i have actually given up playing it.

The controls are awful, the gameplay is broken, the camera is terrible, it's incredibly glitchy, the melee combat is a joke and i encountered a game stopoing glitch as soon as i arrived in Central Park; There is a part where you go into a WC building and a scene involving a loose wire is suppose to trigger the next scene, only this scene never happened for me, thus trapping me in the eternal nightmare of dodgey park toilets without so much as a newspaper in sight. This is was on the PS3 version as well, which was suppose to be the improved version. The only positive things i encountered were an interested combination system for items, and episodic style layout made it easy for me to skip past the game stopping glitch, but made it impossible for me to get the no-skipping trophy. Even with the ability to skip sections, i just grew tired of fighting the camera and controls.

Some people seem to like this game, so i am wondering whether i got a gimped copy and somehow the code and game turned out awful for me (Yeah, right), whilst other people were having a good ol' time. I am quite an open minded guy when it comes to games aswell, and even try and see bright spots in absolutely terrible games, but this broke me. I have to question how this made it out onto the shop shelves, and past QA departments. I just feel bad for people who spent full RRP on this.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By Sooperspy

I loved the game for the first hour, then it got glitchy and sucked

BR4DL3I9H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BR4DL3I9H

The first hour was pretty good, getting to use some object combining and seeing the building fall apart, and even the fire was really impressive, but yeah, like you said, it suddenly got really glitchy. The first part when i thought that this might turn sour is when you have to place fire extinguisher on a platform and jump in a rope to raise it to the next floor to put out a fire, yet whenever i jumped on the rope it either went way too fast and threw the extinguisher back onto the floor, or my character just froze in the middle of the air and was suck to the wall behind him. Glitchy mess.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I'm with you all the way dude. As soon as it hit that driving mission, I switched off.

BR4DL3I9H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BR4DL3I9H

Oh, that driving segment. When i first played that part i thought it wasn't that bad, but then as the 'corridors' started getting narrower it got worse, but not in a more-skill-required kind of difficulty, but more of a jagged-edged-environments-that-would-stop-you-instantly-even-if you-only-hit-an-inch-kind-of-way. The car interior interactons was kind of cool the first few times i did it though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.