Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alpha Protocol

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 27, 2010

Control rogue agent Michael Thorton as he tries to unearth an international conspiracy in the near future (where everybody seems to have a hidden agenda or two) in this third-person action RPG.

Alpha Protocol has a new release date...again!

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By DocHaus

Because I'm bored and there's not much else going on, I hear it's been confirmed on IGN, the official Twitter page and Wikipedia: Alpha Protocol is set to come out on May 27 (Australia), May 28 (Europe) and June 1 (NA). So now we have official dates for when it will be announced that the game is delayed again! Hooray!

You know what will make this a day one purchase for me again? Supposedly the conversation trees are split up into the three JBs: Jack Bauer, Jason Bourne, and James Bond. I say that for all their delaying, they should have added two more options:

Michael Westen: For those unaware, he's the super-cool spy from Burn Notice. He also shares the same first name as this game's protagonist. Every other time you are about to do a direct action, the main character will do a minute-long monologue as to why/how this action is exactly what is needed to solve the problem. 

Sterling Archer: the most incompetent, boorish asshole this side of a spy flick with mother issues who somehow continues to get the job done. Every time a terrorist threatens him, he will take out his cell phone to answer a call from his mother until the terrorist is so grossed out that he surrenders.

I know at this point that this has as much chance of being real as a James Bond fanfiction writer finding their character imprinted in the canon of a sequel, but if there's been virtually no change between the Alpha Protocol of now and the build of one year ago that was supposedly release-ready, one is tempted to ask just what the hell Obsidian has been doing this whole time with a supposedly finished work.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By nanikore

Too bad it's going to be terrible.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#3  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Well, at least Rayfield will be happy that there is an actual release date now. I'm still tentatively interested in AP, but I wonder if it can hold up to something like Mass Effect 2. We'll see.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#4  Edited By citizenkane
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By trophyhunter

I'm still going to get day one if it actually comes out
    unless every single review in the world gives it a one then I guess I won't

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By VWGTI

I still have interest and if it turns out to be good I'll be picking it up day 1. Here's hoping...

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Evilsbane

I wrote this game off when it was announced and that hasn't changed so they can delay it till the release of Duke Nukem Forever for all I care, it always looked like bollocks and nothing ever changed about it, if it turns out good I will graciously take the insults and be happy that another good game is out. But I highly highly doubt that is going to happen because everyone is just going to compare this game to Mass Effect 2 which most likely did everything AP wanted to do about 10x better.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Evilsbane said:
    " I wrote this game off when it was announced and that hasn't changed so they can delay it till the release of Duke Nukem Forever for all I care, it always looked like bollocks and nothing ever changed about it, if it turns out good I will graciously take the insults and be happy that another good game is out. But I highly highly doubt that is going to happen because everyone is just going to compare this game to Mass Effect 2 which most likely did everything AP wanted to do about 10x better. "
    well a game that is a little worse than mass effect 2 is only really good instead of really really good
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Evilsbane
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @Evilsbane said:
    " I wrote this game off when it was announced and that hasn't changed so they can delay it till the release of Duke Nukem Forever for all I care, it always looked like bollocks and nothing ever changed about it, if it turns out good I will graciously take the insults and be happy that another good game is out. But I highly highly doubt that is going to happen because everyone is just going to compare this game to Mass Effect 2 which most likely did everything AP wanted to do about 10x better. "
    well a game that is a little worse than mass effect 2 is only really good instead of really really good "
    I don't expect it to be a "little worse" this game is in every definition of the word "scary" when it comes to video game development, Lots of hype but never to much to show, Lots of delays, delays right after a huge game is released that does everything better than your game, long periods of little to no communication with the community or press.

Like I said I hope to be proved wrong, but I don't have high hopes.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Evilsbane said:

" @trophyhunter said:

" @Evilsbane said:

well a game that is a little worse than mass effect 2 is only really good instead of really really good "
    I don't expect it to be a "little worse" this game is in every definition of the word "scary" when it comes to video game development, Lots of hype but never to much to show, Lots of delays, delays right after a huge game is released that does everything better than your game, long periods of little to no communication with the community or press.  Like I said I hope to be proved wrong, but I don't have high hopes. "
    the big worry 
    alpha protocol is to mass effect 2  as dante's inferno is to god of war
    DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By DocHaus

Alpha Protocol might have similar elements compared to ME2, but the story and setting are totally different. Of course this game is gonna look like crap compared to ME2, it doesn't have nearly the amount of money and shiny graphics that EA/Bioware poured into that game. But it seems that Sega/Obsidian aren't even trying to point out how this game is different. It's a bit late in the dev cycle to hope that the game dies a quiet death, but then again I've also seen what happens when a game takes waaaaay too long to finally get out the door (*cough* Dark Sector *cough*). Yes, Alpha Protocol will probably pale in comparison to ME2, just like it would have paled in comparison to Modern Warfare 2 (when the game was originally supposed to be released, IIRC), but at some point Sega's gotta realize that they can't keep avoiding the big boys forever. Either release the game and let the chips fall where they may, or kill it and try to create something else under a different name. But they way it's going now is alienating people who might have otherwise pre-ordered when the hype was still fresh.

Whoever's in charge of PR for this game needs to consider a new career. Like a professional paperweight. Or a Congressman. [/rimshot]

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By demonbear
    @CitizenKane said:
    " Mass Effect 2 has effectively killed Alpha Protocol. "
    Thats a very stupid statement. I love Mass Effect 1 and 2, both awesome games and if someone comes up to me and says " hey theres a game that's more like Mass Effect 1 but with spies and stuff " I am all up for it. They can totally coexist. I dont see why, even if Alpha Protocol comes up as an inferior version of Mass Effect 2 as a bad thing at all.
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Ineedaname
    @demonbear said:
    " @CitizenKane said:
    " Mass Effect 2 has effectively killed Alpha Protocol. "
    Thats a very stupid statement. I love Mass Effect 1 and 2, both awesome games and if someone comes up to me and says " hey theres a game that's more like Mass Effect 1 but with spies and stuff " I am all up for it. They can totally coexist. I dont see why, even if Alpha Protocol comes up as an inferior version of Mass Effect 2 as a bad thing at all. "
    I agree with this.
    If anything it should be compared to a more action packed Splinter-cell.

Have we hit a point now were every third person action game has to resemble ME2?
    If so that's kind of crappy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.