Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alpha Protocol

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 27, 2010

Control rogue agent Michael Thorton as he tries to unearth an international conspiracy in the near future (where everybody seems to have a hidden agenda or two) in this third-person action RPG.

Did the Quick Look kill your hype?

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By septim

It sure did for me. The gameplay and graphics look completely dated (to put it kindly) and the mini-games look like they were picked off the original Mass Effect's cutting room floor.

I know Jeff said that the dialogue and story are intriguing, but I just didn't get that sense at all. The voice-work seemed stilted and the dialogue/story seemed very  run-of-the-mill basic cable fodder.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Detrian

Nope. I knew the game was not going to be very good.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By canucks23

Ever since i first saw footage of the game i knew it was gonna bomb. Reminds me of Mercs 2, where it had a huge ass delay then ended up being terrible anyways.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By mutha3
    @septim said:
      I know Jeff said that the dialogue and story are intriguing, but I just didn't get that sense at all. The voice-work seemed stilted and the dialogue/story seemed very  run-of-the-mill basic cable fodder. "
    Agreed. 

I know you shouldn't judge a book by it cover, but, man that was one shitty cover.
    Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hourai

Eh, it doesn't look terrible or anything. I might rent it in a month when I get the time for another game. 

mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mattbosten

It was the final nail in the coffin in terms of me purchasing Alpha Protocol; it was between that and Blur for what I was going to buy this week and having played the Blur Beta I was already well up for buying it, unless AP was amazing.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CL60

It doesn't look that bad...yes. It looks bad..but not as bad as everybody is making it out to be.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By septim
    @funcmode said:
    " umm..  what hype? =/ "
    Well considering this game has been sold as Mass Effect with spies I would expect a lot of people were anticipating this title.
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By I_smell

The only thing that was interesting me about this game was the phrase "espionage RPG", so I thought it'd be like a stealth game. Turns out it's more like Mass Effect 1.
    Turn invisible for a 20 seconds with a 60 second cooldown? What is that shit, I don't wanna turn invisible, I wanna hide in cupboards n stuff. I wanna use computers to set an alarm off in sector G so I can run straight through sector F. I wanna tranq guys and hide em behind things, not upgrade my assault rifle accuracy or whatever.

Why aren't the guards suspicious at all when a door opens and nobody's there? Or when somone dies like 5 feet away and goes AARRGH!! ?

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jeffsekai

My hype was killed when Matt left.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Venatio

Haven't had excitement for this game in a very long time, the only thing that sounded awesome to me was thinking Mass Effect but with spies but man the game has looked terrible for some time now

The QL just confirmed my thoughts

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

No, not really. I already kind of expected it to turn out like this, but all the aspects that I like about it still seem to be great. Definitely picking this up next week.

raphaa00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By raphaa00

My hope and hype were killed by Destructoid's review.

Actually, the game in the quick look seems pretty good.

s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By s7evn

The game looked rough and dated. Hopefully Obsidian does a better job with New Vegas.

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
    Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ravenousrattler

nah my hype got killed a while back after it didn't make its release date

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Animasta

absolutely not; it looked alot better than everyone was making it out to be.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By septim
    @s7evn said:
    " The game looked rough and dated. Hopefully Obsidian does a better job with New Vegas. "
    Oh shit! I didn't realize it was the same developer.
    mikbal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mikbal

it's a lot like Deus Ex (orginal one, not the shitty second)
    that game had some issues too (shoting was bad and dialog was cheesy)

+lots of skills
    +gadgets, weapon custmizations, item drops
    +actual Experience Points and Level UPs (Yes! a real RPG)
    +game gives you choice. (climb ladder, sneak behind or hack computer etc... , kill or let go)
    +dialog system is fluid and exiting (you will do lots of talking)
    +not so many bugs. i expected shit load of em since this an Obsidian game. thankfully i was wrong
    -animations and polygons are from mid 2000s. Game uses lots of blur and DoF to cover it.
    -combat sucks (worse than mass effect 1) but thankfully you dont have to fire your gun.
    i'm in about 6 hours, lovin it so far.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By rjayb89

I was never hyped for this game.  Looks like an average game - not too bad, but not too good either.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Toxin066

I was expecting more of Mass Effect's caliber. The combat was a total turn off. I really wish I could have seen some of the dialogue, because from what Jeff was saying it sounded like that was the game's saving grace.

Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By Dustpan

The only thing I'm bothered by is the weird ass crouch-walk animation. It's just...weird.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By BabyChooChoo

No, but it reaffirmed my worries.

NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By NickLott

I was mildly interested in it but when they were showing it at e3, the combat looked really rough, shotguns looked like they had the power of peashooters, and characters were walking through each other and disappearing. Again, that was almost a year ago, but they chose to show it in that condition after it had been in development for so long which I inferred at there being a lot of issues with the development. 

And again, I really like Matt Rorie but he was really doing the hard sell on the GIantBomb podcasts he was on that kind made me think he was worried about the game.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By sixghost

That quicklook brought back memories of Mass Effect 1's combat. God that looked so clunky.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I was interested, and now all interest is gone after seeing that gameplay. The RPG elements intrigued me, but there is no way I could get past that horrendous looking combat.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By ch3burashka

As time went on the promise of quality slowly evaporated. I had a hunch this wouldn't be good. However, I'll still play it when it's like 20-30 bucks - I'm interested enough.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Yeah, it looks like a reprise of some of the bad aspects of ME1 as people have said. But it doesn't look that bad, and I'm willing to overlook combat flaws if the story and dialogue have some interest. I'll wait for more reviews, but I definitely wouldn't buy it at full price.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ryanwho

I tolerated the bad combat(boring might be a better word before lemmings flip out) in ME2 for the character stuff and the dialog stuff, I could do it again. It would have been nice to get a good look at that stuff, though. Not to shoot the messenger, but leaving out a significant aspect of the game and the only thing you're talking positively about in the quick look is a little sloppy. Have a save set aside to show that stuff, you know?

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By eroticfishcake

I had doubts about the game even before it came out but on the other hand I'm genuinely interested to see what the rest of the game is going to be like. Conceptually I love the idea so I'll be happy to give it whirl when the prices come down.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sixghost
    @ryanwho said:
    " I tolerated the bad combat(boring might be a better word before lemmings flip out) in ME2 for the character stuff and the dialog stuff, I could do it again. It would have been nice to get a good look at that stuff, though. Not to shoot the messenger, but leaving out a significant aspect of the game and the only thing you're talking positively about in the quick look is a little sloppy. Have a save set aside to show that stuff, you know? "

You really didn't like the combat in ME2? It wasn't the best thing in the world, but I thought messing around with the biotic powers was fun enough (The guns still sucked). 

Also, it's hard to show what's good about a game's narrative in the short timelimit of a quick look.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ryanwho

It still kind of feels to me like Obsidian is making the kind of game they think people want instead of want they want to make, so you get this weird hybrid. I think the more RPG leaning game they started out making probably would have been more fun.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LiquidPrince

I was never hyped for it anyways.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ryanwho
    @sixghost said:

" @ryanwho said:

" I tolerated the bad combat(boring might be a better word before lemmings flip out) in ME2 for the character stuff and the dialog stuff, I could do it again. It would have been nice to get a good look at that stuff, though. Not to shoot the messenger, but leaving out a significant aspect of the game and the only thing you're talking positively about in the quick look is a little sloppy. Have a save set aside to show that stuff, you know? "

You really didn't like the combat in ME2? It wasn't the best thing in the world, but I thought messing around with the biotic powers was fun enough (The guns still sucked). 

Also, it's hard to show what's good about a game's narrative in the short timelimit of a quick look.

"
    It never grew and I got bored. It wasn't noticeably bad in a significant way like AP seems to be, just wholey unremarkable. For me. I didn't feel like I could do very much and I didn't feel like the game made me do much other than headshot with the rifle. I played it right after Dragon Age and when you compare the number of things you can do there and the amount of control you have over your party, ME2 feels positively bare bones. Also didn't like the hacking and don't get me started on the probing. It looked great (maxed out on a partitioned macbook pro) but I could help but notice the auspiciously placed "this is cover" structures, like, everywhere. It just bothered me. At least here, from what I've seen, all of the cover makes contextual sense, and there aren't stupid magical exploding barrels everywhere. Anyway opinions are like assholes.
    seanvail99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By seanvail99

When a game gets delayed as many times as Alpha Protocol did it's never a good thing. See exhibit 1: Daikatana.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By Marz

If anything I'm more interested now, i really like skill systems and creating the spy the way i play.  Obsidian seems to have fleshed out the backbone of the game very well, the shooting is standard and nothing special but obsidian wasn't known for making shooters in the first place.

Avatar image for glitznglam_style
    glitznglam_style

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By glitznglam_style

Looks fun to me. Sure, the artificial intelligence and overall visuals leave quite a bit to be desired, people have been reporting that they've been dying a lot, so even though the artificial intelligence is bad, it's not an easy game.  

The story, characters, and dialogue system are the reasons I'm excited for this one. I enjoy Chris Avellone's material. 

I think I'll dig this one despite its warts. 

However, I also felt Mass Effect 1 had a high level of jank on Xbox 360. Visual problems, really bad pop-in, really poor framerate, etc. Yet people overlooked these major faults for some reason, then place blame on Alpha Protocol. Sure, that game came out at the end of 2007, but people still love it despite the huge faults. And I'm one of them, which is exactly why I can't wait for this. I can see past the jank and enjoy the bigger picture. 

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DoctorTran

Instead of paying a full 60, i'll just trade a few games for it.

RobotToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RobotToaster

You cant kill something not alive...can you?

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By fugie7

nope, still looking forward to this game. it just looks so much fun.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sixghost
    @ryanwho said:
    " @sixghost said:

" @ryanwho said:

"
    It never grew and I got bored. It wasn't noticeably bad in a significant way like AP seems to be, just wholey unremarkable. For me. I didn't feel like I could do very much and I didn't feel like the game made me do much other than headshot with the rifle. I played it right after Dragon Age and when you compare the number of things you can do there and the amount of control you have over your party, ME2 feels positively bare bones. Also didn't like the hacking and don't get me started on the probing. It looked great (maxed out on a partitioned macbook pro) but I could help but notice the auspiciously placed "this is cover" structures, like, everywhere. It just bothered me. At least here, from what I've seen, all of the cover makes contextual sense, and there aren't stupid magical exploding barrels everywhere. Anyway opinions are like assholes. "
    If you didn't, try playing with Shepard as a Biotic. Playing the game as just about anything else doesn't come close in my opinion. Bending the Biotic trajectories around boxes and pillars was awesome. Even though Throw kind of sucks relative to other powers, having one of your teammates repeatedly Lifting people while you send them flying out of sight with Throw was way too much fun.

I agree that playing through as a soldier or infiltrator is kind of boring though.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By vilhelmnielsen
    @Detrian said:
    " Nope. I knew the game was not going to be very good. "
    this.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Evilsbane

DId it kill my hype? No It just confirmed my fears.

Defias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Defias

I had a feeling it wasn't going to turn out so well to begin with so no hype was built or reduced from watching the quick look

Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Mariek430

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/28/alpha-protocol-game-review/comments/28270583/

Even if its true it obviously doesn't make up for how the game looks and seems to handle. I was kind of looking forward to it. Guess i'll have to get Blur or Alan wake instead.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jadeskye

I think it looks pretty damn good o_o

corgorav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By corgorav

Nah, I knew this game was gonna be sub-par from all the stuff that I had seen.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#48  Edited By Rhaknar

i still want it (when i find it cheap) but yeah, it looks average.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Lukeweizer

Ever since that first trailer, I thought the game looked dated. It looks like "Winback" for the back N64 and PS2. And I can't get over how bland the main character looks.

Avatar image for presidentofjellybeans
    PresidentOfJellybeans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was pretty sure I'd never buy this game, but after the quick look, I removed it from my Gamefly Q, so kinda.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.