Really, really enjoying this game.

#1 Posted by Krummey (198 posts) -

I'm actually having more fun than I did with ME2 (albeit for very specific reasons and with huge caveats).

#2 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Uhm, good for you I guess?

Also, this didn't need to be a thread.

#3 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

Also, this didn't need to be a thread.

It totally did. This game's awesome.

#4 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -

is the game still a glitchy mess on ps3?

#5 Posted by benspyda (2050 posts) -

I did enjoy Alpha Protocol. If anything Obsidian do engaging storys well.

#6 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Also, this didn't need to be a thread.

It totally did. This game's awesome.

Damn straight. You tell me if there's another modern day spy themed RPG game. No? So get past the bad combat and bugs and enjoy the diamond in the rough! Damn it, now i want to play it.
#7 Edited by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I loved this game even though it was flawed, got all the achievements for it as well.

#8 Posted by BrockNRolla (1694 posts) -

There are a lot of great ideas trapped behind a poor game here.

#9 Posted by OhdK2 (48 posts) -

@Krummey said:

I'm actually having more fun than I did with ME2 (albeit for very specific reasons and with huge caveats).

Can you elaborate? I'm on the fence, would love to know.

#10 Posted by Krummey (198 posts) -

@OhdK2 said:

@Krummey said:

I'm actually having more fun than I did with ME2 (albeit for very specific reasons and with huge caveats).

Can you elaborate? I'm on the fence, would love to know.

As soon as I finished the first mission, and the debriefing showed what impact my choices had specifically on the potential of the story going forward, I was hooked. The gameplay sucks, but the story and characters are fantastic.

#11 Posted by buzz_clik (7026 posts) -

I really enjoyed the game, too, although the comedown is that there's no NG+. That's the moment it went back in the drawer for me.

Moderator
#12 Posted by OhdK2 (48 posts) -

@Krummey: Cool, thanks!

#13 Posted by adoggz (2070 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

There are a lot of great ideas trapped behind a poor game here.

yeah its a shame.

#14 Posted by TopSteer (677 posts) -

Anybody else love the combat? I liked the hand to hand fighting and didn't find the shooting to be as bad as everyone says.

#15 Posted by DocHaus (1374 posts) -

@buzz_clik: Actually, one playthrough unlocks "recruit" difficulty, which is a bit harder as you have no stats to start with and some characters kind of sneer at you in conversation. Beat that and you can unlock "veteran," which gives you a lot more points and some NPCs treat you with respect/fear in conversation.

#16 Posted by Junkerman (279 posts) -

@TopSteer: I didnt mind the gameplay either, but I played as a stealth-pistol-martial arts guy, which makes the game broken and stupid easy. I could just silent run/stealth and backstab everyone in the level before my buffs wore off.

#17 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -

I've heard very mixed things about this game.
 
As someone who doesn't care for Mass Effect, the idea that this is spy themed kind of piques my interest. 
 
Is that aspect worth it to give it a shot given that i don't like Mass Effect?

#18 Posted by buzz_clik (7026 posts) -

@DocHaus: That's not what I mean. I'm talking about starting the next playthrough with my end-of-previous-game stats intact. I want the option of keeping the character I've carefully and specifically built up over hours and hours of prior gameplay. The other options are fine, but it's kinda limp that there's no option to keep your personally-crafted badass.

Moderator
#19 Posted by Krummey (198 posts) -
@hbkdx12 Considering the fact that it's probably dirt cheap everywhere (I got it for $10 earlier this year) absolutely.
#20 Posted by MikeRD (33 posts) -

@DocHaus said:

@buzz_clik: Actually, one playthrough unlocks "recruit" difficulty, which is a bit harder as you have no stats to start with and some characters kind of sneer at you in conversation. Beat that and you can unlock "veteran," which gives you a lot more points and some NPCs treat you with respect/fear in conversation.

Recruit is actually available from the start, so it really only takes one playthrough to unlock Veteran.

#21 Posted by fox01313 (5089 posts) -

Enjoyed the game too up to the boss fights where it definitely would have been good to know the better specialization choices beforehand.

#22 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -

@buzz_clik said:

@DocHaus: That's not what I mean. I'm talking about starting the next playthrough with my end-of-previous-game stats intact. I want the option of keeping the character I've carefully and specifically built up over hours and hours of prior gameplay. The other options are fine, but it's kinda limp that there's no option to keep your personally-crafted badass.

Indeed, a new game plus would have made me play the game a lot more, however apart from that I think it's an awesome game which to me, kind of shows how up their own ass game reviewers can be as they focus too much on small negatives. It's a rustic, well-thought out game with a lot of depth. Not everything has to have amazing graphics and shitty multiplayer modes.

#23 Posted by DocHaus (1374 posts) -

One of these days I'm going to do an Archer playthrough of Alpha Protocol: go in guns blazing, use the "charm" option for every woman and the "intimidate" option for every man, even when it's inappropriate.

#24 Posted by Marz (5671 posts) -

it's a good game yup.

#25 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4859 posts) -

This game's fucking awesome. The true sequel to the original Mass Effect.

#26 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

@DocHaus said:

One of these days I'm going to do an Archer playthrough of Alpha Protocol: go in guns blazing, use the "charm" option for every woman and the "intimidate" option for every man, even when it's inappropriate.

This might make me want to give this game another shot!

I just couldn't stand duckwalking around when I was being stealthy and the terrible shooting controls. An utter shame, because the setting was very cool.

#27 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

Just finished this amazing game. Alpha Protocol's the only game I've ever played where I truly felt like my decisions had an effect on the world. It's crazy how many things can vary depending on even minor decisions players make. I didn't even find the controls to be that much trouble after I had put a few points into Pistols.

The story and dialogue are also great. Overall, the game reminded me of Deus Ex because of the story's variability depending on the player's actions (which is much more ambitious in AP) and how there's a lot of freedom concerning how one handles situations. I really wish there was a chance that an Alpha Protocol 2 would be developed.

#28 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -

I saw a walkthrough of a good player going through saudi arabia and it made me cave and buy it off ebay. 
 
In the tutorial westbridge says that there isn't any bad way to talk to people as you might not want people to like you and vice versa. Of course, the way you talk to people and the decisions you make can lead to certain perks or benefits. Does anyone feel like they made bad or less than ideal choices if you weren't receiving some type of reward from your actions/relationships?
 
I ask because although the game may not suddenly come to an end if all your contacts hate you for example, but if i know people hating me isn't getting me any perks or benefits then why wouldn't i try to play it in a way where everyone likes me, you know?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.