Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alpha Protocol

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 27, 2010

Control rogue agent Michael Thorton as he tries to unearth an international conspiracy in the near future (where everybody seems to have a hidden agenda or two) in this third-person action RPG.

Sega officially loses their minds.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Rayfield

SEGA REP TALKS ABOUT ALPHA PROTOCOL 2 ALREADY 

"I’ve got some folks playing right now internally in the studio and basically coming up with some concepts for, eventually, AP2," said Sega's Constantine Hantzopoulos during the 4 Guys 1UP Podcast, reports VG247.

He also noted that Alpha Protocol is “content complete,” so it's definitely in the final stages of quality control right now. It's releasing on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC this quarter.

What are you crazy? You delay this goddamn game a week before it's set to be released last year and since then, we've heard a whole lot of nothing about it. Nothing, not from Obsidian or anything even coming out with the standard DUDE THIS GAME IS GONNA BLOW YOUR FACE OFF. 

What the hell are doing talking about a sequel you stupid assholes? HOW ABOUT RELEASING THE FIRST ONE AND SEEING IF IT DOESN'T SUCK FIRST HUH? 

Jesus. I don't usually get all riled up about such things but with delays becoming standard in game development nowadays, the last thing I need is some PR stooge telling me "Yeah, we've delayed this game like, a hundred times and never talk about it, like ever, but you know what is really gonna rock? Alpha Protocol 2." 

What are you out of your minds?  

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

I have a feeling that Alpha Protocol 1 is going to can.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#3  Edited By natetodamax

LOL

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By InfiniteGeass

You know what's a great idea? Thinking about a sequel before your first game in the series is even out. Brilliant plan Sega. There is no way that this could backfire.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By toowalrus

I don't have a problem with some of the dudes who made the game playing the finished version and "coming up with some concepts for" the sequel. They're basically just comming up with cool ideas they could do in future games. Even if the game does tank, there's always room for improvement. After all, Lost Planet, Army of Two, CrackDown and Kane & Lynch were all terrible, and they're getting highly anticipated sequals.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @JJOR64 said:
    " I have a feeling that Alpha Protocol 1 is going to can. "
    I have had that feeling for a while. Obsidian doesn't exactly have the best track record (NWN2 was a decent, if somewhat uninspired D&D RPG), which along with the fact that they delayed it only a few weeks before its release with no real explaination reeks of a lack of confidence. I'm not going to write it off yet, but they are going to have to do a lot of convincing.
    General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By General_D23

@JJOR64 said:

"I have a feeling that Alpha Protocol 1 is going to can. "

Man, this is Obsidian's first original property. I really wanted it to be good. I still have some hope, but....

Damn it, Sega.

therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By therabidfrog

You're a touchy fellow.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By buzz_killington

Is Alpha Protocol still a thing? I swear to god, NO ONE has said ANYTHING about it. They missed a fucking release date and didn't even put out an official release.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Daryl

It's nice that some people like to look ahead. 

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lucas_kelly

Alpha Protocol doesn't look like anything special.

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By General_D23
    @buzz_killington said:
    "

Is Alpha Protocol still a thing? I swear to god, NO ONE has said ANYTHING about it. They missed a fucking release date and didn't even put out an official release.

"

They did, like a week after it was due out, saying to expect it in spring.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rayfield
    @TooWalrus said:
    "I don't have a problem with some of the dudes who made the game playing the finished version and "coming up with some concepts for" the sequel. They're basically just comming up with cool ideas they could do in future games. Even if the game does tank, there's always room for improvement. After all, Lost Planet, Army of Two, CrackDown and Kane & Lynch were all terrible, and they're getting highly anticipated sequals. "

The difference here is that those games had massive pre-release hype and marketing and weren't delayed all to fuck. Alpha Protocol is obviously in deep, deep trouble and Sega should pull their heads out of their asses and try to do something about that rather talking about a goddamn franchise already. Stupid bastards.
    InTheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By InTheEnd
    @JJOR64 said:
    Yeah, because whenever I see the Sega logo on a game case, I immediately focus my attention elsewhere. 
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By JJOR64
    @InTheEnd said:
    " @JJOR64 said:
    Yeah, because whenever I see the Sega logo on a game case, I immediately focus my attention elsewhere.  "
    Bayonetta is an exception.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mordukai
    @JJOR64 said:
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By trophyhunter

if alpha protocol actually does come out this year I'll still buy it day one 

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By demonbear

I think you guys are panicking for nothing. Sega gave more time to Obsidian to push Alpha Protocol to its full potential since they saw something that might work out as a franchise.  No need to worry. I'm buying this day 1 and i'm confident its gonna rock.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#19  Edited By ImperiousRix

Goddamn, after this game got delayed for like... over half a year, I would be happy if it actually finally came out.  I was very much looking forward to it.

This, however, just seems like kind of a dick move to release statements about playing a finalized game and/or thinking about a sequel when you let quite a few people down by, not only delaying the game, but delaying it for OVER HALF A FUCKING YEAR!

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nekroskop

I wished Obsidian trashed this in favour of working more on Fallout: New Vegas.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By penguindust

Last I heard, Alpha Protocol was criticized for not being RPGish enough.  Source

Alpha Protocol
    Michael Foster, product evaluator, said AP felt barely RPG. Initial level too challenging for players. “Mass Effect felt more RPG.”
    Review notes sent to John Merlino a few weeks prior. After meeting Gerald mentioned AP is a high priority for his team.

ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ZmillA

It fills me with hope to see such passionate youngsters

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sabata

I literally don't even know what the fuck Alpha Protocol is.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Content Complete sounds like a nice way of saying it hasn't even been tested yet.

myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By myslead

sequels are often in production when the first one is being released.
    army of two 2 just came out and army of two 3 is already in production.
    usually it's due to budget and money issues.

as the first one is built from the ground up, they usually don't make much money from the first one, so they rush a sequel to capitalize on it so they can cut the looses.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HandsomeDead

Since about 2005, I have treated everything SEGA touch as a disaster and besides Condemned, it's served me well.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Al3xand3r

Oh, it's that same idiot. Man, I wish he didn't have a Greek surname. And since when is Obsidian an internal development studio? I know they partnered for Alpha Protocol, but I don't think they were bought out beyond that or anything.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MikkaQ

Looking past all the hype around a game like this (and I think it's because no game has come as close to looking like an international spy flick), I'm starting to think this might be a little bit bland. I really hope not, but Sega's really pissing me off as a publisher these days, and while Obsidian isn't bad, the fact that this is their first IP worries me. That can be a rocky road.  

But every part of me wants this game to rule.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By scarace360

Ya know whats an even better idea the day before alpha protocol comes out announce alpha protocol 2 and 3. That would be a weird day and i think sega lost their minds along time ago.
    I treat sega like my crazy uncle who wont stay in the fucking closet where i put him. He used to be cool but then he had an accident and now he wont just go and die or stay in the closet.

kamikaze_tutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kamikaze_tutor

Makes sense. Nowadays one game isn't enough to justify a new IP, so even if the first game isn't out or is released and sucks, you can count on a sequel that uses mostly the same tech.
    With new IP's, developers are essentially creating two new games so they can cope any losses ahead of time.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @myslead said:
    " sequels are often in production when the first one is being released. army of two 2 just came out and army of two 3 is already in production. usually it's due to budget and money issues.  as the first one is built from the ground up, they usually don't make much money from the first one, so they rush a sequel to capitalize on it so they can cut the looses. "
    Your comparison doesn't relate because Alpha Protocol is a brand new IP and SEGA/Obsidian have no way of knowing how it will fare in the market.  Army of Two sold reasonably well, despite its flaws and Army of Two : The 40th Day went about fixing those flaws, so the devs now have a more refined engine and game design so that they rather easily knock out another sequel, possibly putting new ideas into the third game.

If (and I say if extremely unsurely) SEGA think it's worthy of a sequel then the game must be a hell of a long way past what they were showing around E3 and later last year.  It looked generic and essentially a Mass Effect-a-like set in Jason Bourne's modern day Spy vs Spy world.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.