Shotguns and tech?

#1 Posted by OsheaDiesStupid (165 posts) -

Just finished my first playthrough and I was planning on starting the game again specializing only on Shotguns, Sabotage and Technical. I wonder if it would make the game absolutely impossible, especially during boss fights. Has anyone tried this combo before?

#2 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3966 posts) -
@OsheaDiesStupid said:
" Just finished my first playthrough and I was planning on starting the game again specializing only on Shotguns, Sabotage and Technical. I wonder if it would make the game absolutely impossible, especially during boss fights. Has anyone tried this combo before? "
I just finished the game with the combo you described. The
hardest part I had was near the end with the tough combo
lock & grenades flying everywhere (don't want to give much
away on the location). Only way to get through it is that you
have to get through that horrible lock to beat the level. The
part after that was pretty hard as well. However, other boss
fights were pretty easy.  Just do the Room Sweep, Brilliance,
Room Sweep using your best bullets & it mowed them down
easily enough.
#3 Edited by Stahlbrand (838 posts) -
@OsheaDiesStupid: 
My second playthough was exactly what you described, and it worked very well.  Play aggressively with the shotgun, don't forget to stick grenades to walls.  Remember you can carry one type of nade in more than one slot (at the end I was taking 20 mk.3 explosive grenades across four inventory slots into every mission, not that I always used them, but just in case).

A few boss fights were real ammo dumps, I found specialty ammo was wasted against bosses, the key is pointblank room sweeping bosses and being tough enough to stand toe to toe with them for the whole boss fight.  To that end, I also worked the toughness tree toward the end of my character's development and would recommend it and the heavy armour.

And as to what Lind was saying, I tell you that the fight he is talking about is part of the endgame, and you need to pick (or EMP) a lock - just a tumbler lock, not a hack, to get up to a sniper rifle to kill the boss in like five shots.  When you're on the ground, like in any shotgun-based combat situation, stay moving, get close, don't hide or hesitate.  If you try to wait behind cover you will be drowned in grenades in that fight, but waiting is almost never a good idea with the character build you're planning.

ARG,  just noticed this thread is 7 months old.  Oh well, I wrote it, might as well post it anyways.
#4 Posted by Junkerman (263 posts) -
@Stahlbrand: 
It's okay, I read your post and I'll put this information to good use.
#5 Posted by l4wd0g (1952 posts) -

I went assault rifle and toughness. I played a door kicker though.

#6 Posted by OsheaDiesStupid (165 posts) -
@Stahlbrand: Yeah, I never managed to finish a second playthrough, but in the meantime I started Mass Effect 1 for the first time. Am I a bad person because I like the story in Alpha Protocol better? 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.