Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alpha Protocol

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 27, 2010

Control rogue agent Michael Thorton as he tries to unearth an international conspiracy in the near future (where everybody seems to have a hidden agenda or two) in this third-person action RPG.

So I started playing through the PC version today...

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Picked it up for $7.50 on Steam during the Xmas sale, finally started it up today.  I can see why people compare it to Mass Effect, it's got a lot in common with that game.  I'm about 8 hours in now, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.  The story, the acting, the locations are all top notch so far.  There's a definite jankiness to the game, the shooting mechanic is flawed, and once I had all the enemies just disappear from an area.  In spite of that, the story and feeling of real choice in the game make it one of the best games I've played in a while.  It's really too bad that it didn't sell well enough to warrant a sequel, nobody should have to buy a broken game, but at the same time I think a followup that addresses the big issues people have and keeps the pacing and story would be a worthwhile experience.

If you're someone who can look beyond the mechanical shortcomings of a game and enjoy the story, I totally recommend it.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By Chris2KLee

Get ready for the end of the game where, for whatever reasons, they decided to design a succession of boss fights that highlight everything that is wrong with the game mechanically. It's hair pulling until you find a way to cheese the fight, then it's just dull. That said, I agree that it would be nice if they had another shot at it, but maybe someone else will take a crack at it down the road in a new IP.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Chris2KLee said:
    " Get ready for the end of the game where, for whatever reasons, they decided to design a succession of boss fights that highlight everything that is wrong with the game mechanically. It's hair pulling until you find a way to cheese the fight, then it's just dull. That said, I agree that it would be nice if they had another shot at it, but maybe someone else will take a crack at it down the road in a new IP. "
    and by that i think im gonna uninstall the game and get over it.. ive had it installed for a few months, progressing in it slowly and REALLY not impressed by anything, it stinks so much 

thanks, im just gonna remove it
    ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ZimboDK
    @Chris2KLee said:
    " Get ready for the end of the game where, for whatever reasons, they decided to design a succession of boss fights that highlight everything that is wrong with the game mechanically. It's hair pulling until you find a way to cheese the fight, then it's just dull. That said, I agree that it would be nice if they had another shot at it, but maybe someone else will take a crack at it down the road in a new IP. "
    Oh man, why did you have to go and mention the boss fights? Now I don't feel like booting it up again.
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Chris2KLee

If you've come close to the end, I say just finish it and be done, because there is some cool stuff in the end that incorporates all your choices in the game up to that point. The final boss fights can be cheesed, or at least it was how I handled them. With max Stealth and Rifles it was just a matter of waiting for my 30 second cloak to come up and then pop long enough to get a head shot. It was boring and tedious, but necessary considering how batshit crazy the fights are otherwise. I really want to know what was running through the designers head when he made those fights, because nothing about them was fun or interesting.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By me3639

Curious as to if you installed any mods, or if there are any. I would assume by now the modding community has at least attempted to fix a lot of problems.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Chris2KLee
    @me3639 said:
    " Curious as to if you installed any mods, or if there are any. I would assume by now the modding community has at least attempted to fix a lot of problems. "
    I looked, there don't seem to be too be any mods out there, at least nothing that fixes the gameplay problems. I don't think the game did well enough to warrant a modding community, and I don't think Obsidian or Sega were interested in supporting such a community with tools. I played the the game vanilla from Direct2Drive, which stated it was version 1.0. I know there was a patch to 1.1 or something, but that patch had no notes, and for PC it's just an exe file you replace your exe with.
    Juvarial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Juvarial
    @Chris2KLee: Either "Patch" 1.1.exe is a crack or it just made a sketchy game a whole lot sketchier. 
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Chris2KLee
    @Juvarial said:
    " @Chris2KLee: Either "Patch" 1.1.exe is a crack or it just made a sketchy game a whole lot sketchier.  "
    It's available from the official Sega website, but you have to go digging for it in the support section. I also don't think works with the Steam or Direct2Drive version, so people who have those beware. The lack of patch notes leads me to believe it was a hot fix for performance problems and nothing more.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Chris2KLee said:
    " @me3639 said:
    " Curious as to if you installed any mods, or if there are any. I would assume by now the modding community has at least attempted to fix a lot of problems. "
    I looked, there don't seem to be too be any mods out there, at least nothing that fixes the gameplay problems. I don't think the game did well enough to warrant a modding community, and I don't think Obsidian or Sega were interested in supporting such a community with tools. I played the the game vanilla from Direct2Drive, which stated it was version 1.0. I know there was a patch to 1.1 or something, but that patch had no notes, and for PC it's just an exe file you replace your exe with. "
    I was looking around when I was thinking of buying this game, and found this page full of relatively easy mod suggestions. I'd try some of them out, but I decided against buying the game. It's worth a look at least.
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Chris2KLee
    @JJWeatherman:  Looking at most of that stuff, it seems like a lot of messing around with .ini values and config files, I don't think anyone is really trying to do the big stuff like fixing the AI or modding in new gear or models. I actually tried some of that to hack my way around the terrible end boss fights, but in the end I couldn't get any of it working. Just had to cheap the bosses, which was easy but super dull. I say if you see it for $5 on steam or something, go for it. The choices in the game are fun, and how they work out in the end is at least interesting. One day when I forget how bad the gamepaly was, I might give it another run.
    mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By mzuckerm
    @Krakn3Dfx: I liked it a lot too.  I didn't find the boss fights too obnoxious, even on the hard difficulty setting.  And I wasn't expecting the combat to be third person shooter quality, because this is an RPG.  The bad camera got to me a little; I can't understand how that can still be a problem.  I was pretty sure we had solved that, technologically.  But the choices and the story, to me, were terrific.  It might have been the most fun I had with a game all year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.