Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alpha Protocol

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 27, 2010

Control rogue agent Michael Thorton as he tries to unearth an international conspiracy in the near future (where everybody seems to have a hidden agenda or two) in this third-person action RPG.

Some Alpha Protocol thoughts

HumanityPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By HumanityPlague

Well, finally beat Alpha Protocol tonight (or this morning, at this point).  I'd played a lot of it when it first came out, then lost interest, but I bought it when Steam put it up on sale, so I finally completed it.  Here are a few thoughts:

1.  I cheated (used a trainer) pretty much all during the game.  Ironically, not for infinite health, but just to fully max out the skill points, give infinite cash, and infinite time for the hacking mini-game.  The RPG elements felt very weird in this game, and not super intuitive like other action rpg's (Mass Effect being a comparison)
    2.  The store felt kinda busted.  I was playing on PC, and it amused me to whenever I select a new weapon to wait 4-7 seconds for the texture to pop in.  Way to go Unreal Engine 3!
    3.  On that front  also, on the last mission, when you kill Darcy, chase the baddie around, etc (at least I did), the ground texture's weren't popping in right.  It took about 20 seconds of me standing there waiting for the ground to load in from a pixelated surface, to an actual ground texture.  And it's not like my computer's a huge slouch.  It's a 2.5ghz dual core, with 6gb of ram, and a Nvidia GTX 260M card.  So it's not the best, but it can certainly play most games fine.
    4.  I liked some of the characters a lot, especially Heck, and Scarlet.  Wouldn't mind seeing Heck pop up in more games, just at random times.
    5.  For as much as people bitch about the shooting, I didn't mind it at all.  This might've been because my character had all  the skills maxed, but I found the combat to be kind of fun.  Especially just running up on a guy and beating the shit out of him.
    6.  Contrary to most other people, I really didn't enjoy the dialog stuff.  Well, I did and didn't.  I liked that it forced you to choose an option (the timer), that was fine.  I didn't like that it took FOREVER to get to an option.   Most times, I would skip the conversation so much, and then get to an option, and have no idea what they person just said.  In other games like this, written dialog shows up much quicker, and I can read fast.  Not with this game, and I was continuously out of the loop when it came to the story, because I skipped a lot of the voice acting.
    7.  Nice to see Matthew Rorie's name in a game credits.
    8.  I liked the radar power, that put triangles over guy's heads telling you their status.  Nice throw-back to MGS, and it's why I don't like Splinter Cell, or most other stealth games.
    9.  I mainly used Pistols/Assault Rifles for my guy.  The Pistol power-up "Chain Shot" felt very over-powered.  It was a lot of fun actually.

It's kind of funny, because I would've given Alpha Protocol probably a 3 out of 5, like Jeff did, but for completely different reasons.  I enjoyed the combat a lot, and dug the charaacters, but I really wasn't super into the conversation trees, or the story.  I'm gonna go play it again probably, just to explore some of the other character paths, and see where it goes.

HumanityPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By HumanityPlague

Well, finally beat Alpha Protocol tonight (or this morning, at this point).  I'd played a lot of it when it first came out, then lost interest, but I bought it when Steam put it up on sale, so I finally completed it.  Here are a few thoughts:

1.  I cheated (used a trainer) pretty much all during the game.  Ironically, not for infinite health, but just to fully max out the skill points, give infinite cash, and infinite time for the hacking mini-game.  The RPG elements felt very weird in this game, and not super intuitive like other action rpg's (Mass Effect being a comparison)
    2.  The store felt kinda busted.  I was playing on PC, and it amused me to whenever I select a new weapon to wait 4-7 seconds for the texture to pop in.  Way to go Unreal Engine 3!
    3.  On that front  also, on the last mission, when you kill Darcy, chase the baddie around, etc (at least I did), the ground texture's weren't popping in right.  It took about 20 seconds of me standing there waiting for the ground to load in from a pixelated surface, to an actual ground texture.  And it's not like my computer's a huge slouch.  It's a 2.5ghz dual core, with 6gb of ram, and a Nvidia GTX 260M card.  So it's not the best, but it can certainly play most games fine.
    4.  I liked some of the characters a lot, especially Heck, and Scarlet.  Wouldn't mind seeing Heck pop up in more games, just at random times.
    5.  For as much as people bitch about the shooting, I didn't mind it at all.  This might've been because my character had all  the skills maxed, but I found the combat to be kind of fun.  Especially just running up on a guy and beating the shit out of him.
    6.  Contrary to most other people, I really didn't enjoy the dialog stuff.  Well, I did and didn't.  I liked that it forced you to choose an option (the timer), that was fine.  I didn't like that it took FOREVER to get to an option.   Most times, I would skip the conversation so much, and then get to an option, and have no idea what they person just said.  In other games like this, written dialog shows up much quicker, and I can read fast.  Not with this game, and I was continuously out of the loop when it came to the story, because I skipped a lot of the voice acting.
    7.  Nice to see Matthew Rorie's name in a game credits.
    8.  I liked the radar power, that put triangles over guy's heads telling you their status.  Nice throw-back to MGS, and it's why I don't like Splinter Cell, or most other stealth games.
    9.  I mainly used Pistols/Assault Rifles for my guy.  The Pistol power-up "Chain Shot" felt very over-powered.  It was a lot of fun actually.

It's kind of funny, because I would've given Alpha Protocol probably a 3 out of 5, like Jeff did, but for completely different reasons.  I enjoyed the combat a lot, and dug the charaacters, but I really wasn't super into the conversation trees, or the story.  I'm gonna go play it again probably, just to explore some of the other character paths, and see where it goes.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#2  Edited By sammo21

I would like to try the game, but the problem normally is that I have too many great and amazing games to play that I can't be bothered with the "You really have to work to find the good stuff" or the "Not really good, but you'll find a few things you will enjoy" games.  Especially this time of year...but who knows maybe I will have a chance to hit it up during the summer.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By hugh_jazz

I'd say play the game on easy, without using any trainers(least of all to max out your skills, since that nullifies many of the points of it being an RPG).  Also, the higher you set your combat skills, the more fluid and easy the combat gets, obviously. Kind of a bad way to marry shooter and RPG elements, to be sure, and it's not the first game to do it, but this skill progression is there for a reason, so you'll need to think about what skills to put emphasis on.  

If you're into skipping dialogue you shouldn't really be playing an Obsidian game to begin with, but if you insist, enable subs and read that shit before skipping the VO. A lot of what happens in the conversations ends up being sort of important to the story.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jack268
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21 said:
    " I would like to try the game, but the problem normally is that I have too many great and amazing games to play that I can't be bothered with the "You really have to work to find the good stuff" or the "Not really good, but you'll find a few things you will enjoy" games.  Especially this time of year...but who knows maybe I will have a chance to hit it up during the summer. "
    I totally wouldn't agree with this. While the flaws are glaring, if you are going to enjoy it, you certainly won't have to hunt for it. As I played through it, I definitely had moments of agitation, and there are points when you really wish they'd just developed a more cohesive product, but I loved the experience. 

Honestly, as someone who only picked it up because it was 5 bucks, I'd have probably paid full-price for it, knowing what I do now.  

If only they had been given another shot at it....
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Azteck
    @GetEveryone said:
    " @sammo21 said:
    " I would like to try the game, but the problem normally is that I have too many great and amazing games to play that I can't be bothered with the "You really have to work to find the good stuff" or the "Not really good, but you'll find a few things you will enjoy" games.  Especially this time of year...but who knows maybe I will have a chance to hit it up during the summer. "
    I totally wouldn't agree with this. While the flaws are glaring, if you are going to enjoy it, you certainly won't have to hunt for it. As I played through it, I definitely had moments of agitation, and there are points when you really wish they'd just developed a more cohesive product, but I loved the experience.  Honestly, as someone who only picked it up because it was 5 bucks, I'd have probably paid full-price for it, knowing what I do now.   If only they had been given another shot at it.... "
    I agree completely.
    loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#7  Edited By loopy_101

Alpha Protocol was a complete mixed bag. My problem with it lies in the combat, especially during the boss fights. The game forces you to play aggressively during those sequences, especially when fighting the coke mobster in Russia.

HumanityPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HumanityPlague

@loopy_101: Oh, I just cheated for all that stuff. Actually, I think I cheated the entire game.

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#9  Edited By loopy_101
    @HumanityPlague said:

@loopy_101: Oh, I just cheated for all that stuff. Actually, I think I cheated the entire game.

I made the silly mistake of playing properly and leveling up my melee and stealth abilities. Atleast chain shot was a worthy point investment when I finally caved in and started leveling up my ability to use pistols.
    Avatar image for mancombseepgood
    MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MancombSeepgood

It was definitely a game with its flaws but I really enjoyed it. I think the whole "choices have consequences" thing was done very well, and I can see that different decisions turn out very differently in some situations. Perks was also a neat feature for getting along or not getting along with your handlers and being able to befriend pretty much everyone or just kill them was great.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Marz

I stopped reading when it said you cheated and used a trainer :\

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Getz

I'm of the opinion that you can't judge the quality of a game if you've cheated at it. Especially the degree that you have.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.