The problem with Alpha Protocol....

#1 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

Isn't the gameplay, it's the story. I feel like the narrative is so poorly implemented, and I saw the twists coming a mile away (Scarlet Rose are you for real?). I was ready to give this game a try because of this, I was well aware that the gameplay was bad (It turns into a poor stealth game and then into an even worse shooter) and the graphics were nothing too great (looks like a 1998 game running on a high end PC) but when I heard high praise from Jeff and Vinny regarding the story I felt confused as to why? 
 
The story problems became even worse after a second play through, and I'm not mindlessly hating on it like people who hate on CoD or Halo, I'm genuinely dissapointed in my disappointment, like a double disappointment kinda thing. 
 
So am I the only one who disliked the story even more than I disliked the gameplay?

#2 Edited by Yummylee (22506 posts) -

I suppose the praise is more deserving to how much you can affect the story and the majority of the cast that populate it, more than the story itself. I admit I didn't even understand wtf was going on at first since it's all poorly told or just outright ignored with some plot points, but I still wanted to play more of this story just I can do shit to it!

#3 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

How buggy is the game?I was really hyped for the game,but when i saw the reviews it turned me away..

#4 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@blacklabeldomm: You might be the only one that does not like the story.
 
@TheDudeOfGaming: I've beaten it four times without a single bug.
#5 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
@kingzetta: fuck it, that does it,im buying.
#6 Posted by Chris2KLee (2338 posts) -
@TheDudeOfGaming said:
" @kingzetta: fuck it, that does it,im buying. "
The cheaper you find it, the better the game will be. I paid $6 dollars and had fun with it, but there are some very frustrating parts. I think the writer at Joystiq also totally hated the story of the game, and called all the voice work and writing terrible, which is strange because I thought it was the best part of the game.
#7 Posted by Yummylee (22506 posts) -
@Chris2KLee said:
" @TheDudeOfGaming said:
" @kingzetta: fuck it, that does it,im buying. "
The cheaper you find it, the better the game will be. I paid $6 dollars and had fun with it, but there are some very frustrating parts. I think the writer at Joystiq also totally hated the story of the game, and called all the voice work and writing terrible, which is strange because I thought it was the best part of the game. "
The voice acting too? Pff, that's insane! A game that features Fred Tatasciore, Jim Cummings and Nolan North isn't a game that warrants criticism for its voice work U.U
#8 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

Albatross is one of the best works of voice acting I've heard, and OP you are crazy the story's amazing.
 
I'd like to see mass effect react this much to your choices

#9 Posted by Chris2KLee (2338 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" Albatross is one of the best works of voice acting I've heard, and OP you are crazy the story's amazing.  I'd like to see mass effect react this much to your choices "
I really enjoyed the story, but it's tone is more of a 90's Bond movie, with a lot of over the top characters, especially the bosses. I think it's ability to really make your choices feel weighty is thanks to it's much tighter story, and the fact that they brought all that to bear at the end. ME tends to have a lot of side quests that are one offs, and the big repercussions to your choices really only play out between games (ME1 to ME2). That said, I would gladly take ME1 or ME2 over Alpha Protocol any day.
#10 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" Albatross is one of the best works of voice acting I've heard, and OP you are crazy the story's amazing.  I'd like to see mass effect react this much to your choices "
Chill with the hyperbole, there's nothing amazing about the story. It's decent enough for a video game, but it's still pretty predictable. Also, ME2 would never be able to match AP in that respect because AP's scope of story is so much narrower, and as such, it can afford to omit a main character entirely from the game and not really have that big of a difference on the story.
#11 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -
@sixghost said:
" @Laketown said:
" Albatross is one of the best works of voice acting I've heard, and OP you are crazy the story's amazing.  I'd like to see mass effect react this much to your choices "
Chill with the hyperbole, there's nothing amazing about the story. It's decent enough for a video game, but it's still pretty predictable. Also, ME2 would never be able to match AP in that respect because AP's scope of story is so much narrower, and as such, it can afford to omit a main character entirely from the game and not really have that big of a difference on the story. "
I never said the story was amazing, the reactivity of the story was amazing ;)
#12 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
@sixghost: yeah,me2 sucks :)
#13 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" Albatross is one of the best works of voice acting I've heard, and OP you are crazy the story's amazing.  I'd like to see mass effect react this much to your choices "
What part is so amazing? 
 
The whole narrative was garbage, like Madison getting captured when the safehouse is 100% secret, then having to "choose" saving her or saving strangers. What the fuck was that? 
 And Scarlet working for Hallbeck, which I figured within 2 hours (I did the Taipei mission first) and then in the end she shoots Hallbeck's president in the most confusing scene in video games ever. 
 
Even mentioning Mass Effect in the same sentence is a crime, but I don't hate AP because I love ME, that's unrelated. You are right about the voice acting, it's great, but the characters are all pretty much garbage too.
#14 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -
@TheDudeOfGaming said:
" How buggy is the game?I was really hyped for the game,but when i saw the reviews it turned me away.. "
It's not buggy it's just terribly mediocre throughout, and lame and dice-rolly and just boring....I haven't experienced any bugs at all.
#15 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
@blacklabeldomm: i dont know dude,you seem biased, everyone says the story is Alpha's best aspect...
#16 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -
@TheDudeOfGaming said:
" @blacklabeldomm: i dont know dude,you seem biased, everyone says the story is Alpha's best aspect... "
That's why I made this thread, why does everyone like it so much?
#17 Posted by Ihmishylje (413 posts) -

WHY YOU WANT BETTER STORY FOR ALPHA PROTOCOL? IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH AS PRODUCED FROM OBSIDIAN ENTERTAINMENT? YOU THINK NEEDS IMPROVEMENT? THEN MAYBE YOU FIND JOB WITH OBSIDIAN! YOU HAVE DRINKS WITH CHRIS AVELLONE, TRADE STORY OF MANY GAMES DESIGNED AND DETAILS OF SCHOOL FOR GAME DESIGN!
 
OR MAYBE YOU NOT DO THIS. PROBABLY IS BECAUSE YOU NEVER DESIGN GAME IN WHOLE LIFE. YOU LOOK AT FINE OBSIDIAN GAME, THINK IT NEED CRAZY SHIT STICK ON ALL SIDES OF GAME.

GAME IS FINE.
 
 http://i.imgur.com/Tz0m3.png

#18 Posted by l4wd0g (2017 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" @Chris2KLee said:
" @TheDudeOfGaming said:
" @kingzetta: fuck it, that does it,im buying. "
The cheaper you find it, the better the game will be. I paid $6 dollars and had fun with it, but there are some very frustrating parts. I think the writer at Joystiq also totally hated the story of the game, and called all the voice work and writing terrible, which is strange because I thought it was the best part of the game. "
The voice acting too? Pff, that's insane! A game that features Fred Tatasciore, Jim Cummings and Nolan North isn't a game that warrants criticism for its voice work U.U "
Nolan North's character was great. I love that game.
#19 Edited by Chris2KLee (2338 posts) -
@blacklabeldomm said:

" @TheDudeOfGaming said:

" @blacklabeldomm: i dont know dude,you seem biased, everyone says the story is Alpha's best aspect... "
That's why I made this thread, why does everyone like it so much? "
I think there are some good ideas in there, and Obsidian did a good job making a fun (if somewhat cliche) spy story. The decisions are cool and have weight thanks to a tighter focus, but it is all wrapped up in some very bad gameplay. Just keep that in mind if to pick it up. I think Jeff hit it on the head with his review.
#20 Posted by fullmetal5550 (339 posts) -

I thought Alpha Protocol was a pretty nice game. I ran into a few bugs but none that ruined the game for me.

#21 Posted by Chris2KLee (2338 posts) -
@l4wd0g said:
" Nolan North's character was great. I love that game. "
Well, that performance was nominated for a Northie :)
#22 Posted by Ihmishylje (413 posts) -

Alpha Protocol is easily in my Top 10 for last year, if not particularly high on that list. I don't get what people are complaining about. Maybe if you expect it to play like Gears of War, or Splinter Cell, then yes you'll be disappointed. It has dice rolls, but they never ruined the experience for me, I quite enjoyed them, actually. It's an RPG made by people who clearly think like good DMs think, and maybe that's why I liked it so much. No, the story isn't revolutionary, but it's perfectly serviceable for what it does: makes you feel like a spy in a spy movie. Somebody mentioned 90s Bond films, which is right, I think. Goldeneye was my favourite Bond film growing up, and I think Alpha Protocol hit those notes perfectly, with some Jason Bourne thrown in for good measure.

#23 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@Ihmishylje said:
" WHY YOU WANT BETTER STORY FOR ALPHA PROTOCOL? IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH AS PRODUCED FROM OBSIDIAN ENTERTAINMENT? YOU THINK NEEDS IMPROVEMENT? THEN MAYBE YOU FIND JOB WITH OBSIDIAN! YOU HAVE DRINKS WITH CHRIS AVELLONE, TRADE STORY OF MANY GAMES DESIGNED AND DETAILS OF SCHOOL FOR GAME DESIGN!  OR MAYBE YOU NOT DO THIS. PROBABLY IS BECAUSE YOU NEVER DESIGN GAME IN WHOLE LIFE. YOU LOOK AT FINE OBSIDIAN GAME, THINK IT NEED CRAZY SHIT STICK ON ALL SIDES OF GAME. GAME IS FINE.   http://i.imgur.com/Tz0m3.png "
That is hilarious. You are hilarious.
 
Also I love Alpha Protocol. Sure, it's not a tripple-A game, but if you're able to overlook some flaws there's a lot of fun in it.
#24 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -
@Ihmishylje said:
" WHY YOU WANT BETTER STORY FOR ALPHA PROTOCOL? IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH AS PRODUCED FROM OBSIDIAN ENTERTAINMENT? YOU THINK NEEDS IMPROVEMENT? THEN MAYBE YOU FIND JOB WITH OBSIDIAN! YOU HAVE DRINKS WITH CHRIS AVELLONE, TRADE STORY OF MANY GAMES DESIGNED AND DETAILS OF SCHOOL FOR GAME DESIGN!  OR MAYBE YOU NOT DO THIS. PROBABLY IS BECAUSE YOU NEVER DESIGN GAME IN WHOLE LIFE. YOU LOOK AT FINE OBSIDIAN GAME, THINK IT NEED CRAZY SHIT STICK ON ALL SIDES OF GAME. GAME IS FINE.   http://i.imgur.com/Tz0m3.png "
I like your style!
 
Also there was plenty of crazy shit sticks in AP, like fighting a 80s loving red mafia boss on a concert stage.
Also I would not drink his shitty American beer.
#25 Posted by Ihmishylje (413 posts) -
@blacklabeldomm said:
"I like your style!  Also there was plenty of crazy shit sticks in AP, like fighting a 80s loving red mafia boss on a concert stage. Also I would not drink his shitty American beer. "
That fight was awesome. Maybe not from a gameplay perspective, but I thought it was pretty funny.
 
Is Canadian beer significantly better than American beer, then? I wouldn't know, I don't drink.
#26 Edited by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

 Finished it over this weekend (and wrote my first user review for it too). For me, the storyline itself wasn't so great, even incomprehensible at times. Although I eventually got to a point where I wasn't bothering to read the dossiers anymore so that probably didn't help. The interactivity of the story is great though, and the sense of how things may change amongst different playthroughs seems like it's beyond games like Mass Effect, Fallout 3 and Heavy Rain. Unfortunately the action parts of it are baaaaaaad. And in the end that's what you're spending the vast majority of your time doing.    
 
Biggest bug I ran into was moving through some scaffolding, the contextual marker for dropping down wouldn't work and left me stuck on a ledge, so I had to reload a previous save. Not exactly game breaking, but did raise the question "why can't I just walk off the edge of this thing?".  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.