Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alpha Protocol

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 27, 2010

Control rogue agent Michael Thorton as he tries to unearth an international conspiracy in the near future (where everybody seems to have a hidden agenda or two) in this third-person action RPG.

The problem with Alpha Protocol....

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Vinny_Says

Isn't the gameplay, it's the story. I feel like the narrative is so poorly implemented, and I saw the twists coming a mile away (Scarlet Rose are you for real?). I was ready to give this game a try because of this, I was well aware that the gameplay was bad (It turns into a poor stealth game and then into an even worse shooter) and the graphics were nothing too great (looks like a 1998 game running on a high end PC) but when I heard high praise from Jeff and Vinny regarding the story I felt confused as to why? 

The story problems became even worse after a second play through, and I'm not mindlessly hating on it like people who hate on CoD or Halo, I'm genuinely dissapointed in my disappointment, like a double disappointment kinda thing. 

So am I the only one who disliked the story even more than I disliked the gameplay?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

I suppose the praise is more deserving to how much you can affect the story and the majority of the cast that populate it, more than the story itself. I admit I didn't even understand wtf was going on at first since it's all poorly told or just outright ignored with some plot points, but I still wanted to play more of this story just I can do shit to it!

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

How buggy is the game?I was really hyped for the game,but when i saw the reviews it turned me away..

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By kingzetta
    @blacklabeldomm: You might be the only one that does not like the story.

@TheDudeOfGaming: I've beaten it four times without a single bug.
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @kingzetta: fuck it, that does it,im buying.
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By Chris2KLee
    @TheDudeOfGaming said:
    " @kingzetta: fuck it, that does it,im buying. "
    The cheaper you find it, the better the game will be. I paid $6 dollars and had fun with it, but there are some very frustrating parts. I think the writer at Joystiq also totally hated the story of the game, and called all the voice work and writing terrible, which is strange because I thought it was the best part of the game.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee
    @Chris2KLee said:
    " @TheDudeOfGaming said:
    The cheaper you find it, the better the game will be. I paid $6 dollars and had fun with it, but there are some very frustrating parts. I think the writer at Joystiq also totally hated the story of the game, and called all the voice work and writing terrible, which is strange because I thought it was the best part of the game. "
    The voice acting too? Pff, that's insane! A game that features Fred Tatasciore, Jim Cummings and Nolan North isn't a game that warrants criticism for its voice work U.U
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Animasta

Albatross is one of the best works of voice acting I've heard, and OP you are crazy the story's amazing.

I'd like to see mass effect react this much to your choices

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Chris2KLee
    @Laketown said:
    " Albatross is one of the best works of voice acting I've heard, and OP you are crazy the story's amazing.  I'd like to see mass effect react this much to your choices "
    I really enjoyed the story, but it's tone is more of a 90's Bond movie, with a lot of over the top characters, especially the bosses. I think it's ability to really make your choices feel weighty is thanks to it's much tighter story, and the fact that they brought all that to bear at the end. ME tends to have a lot of side quests that are one offs, and the big repercussions to your choices really only play out between games (ME1 to ME2). That said, I would gladly take ME1 or ME2 over Alpha Protocol any day.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By sixghost
    @Laketown said:
    " Albatross is one of the best works of voice acting I've heard, and OP you are crazy the story's amazing.  I'd like to see mass effect react this much to your choices "
    Chill with the hyperbole, there's nothing amazing about the story. It's decent enough for a video game, but it's still pretty predictable. Also, ME2 would never be able to match AP in that respect because AP's scope of story is so much narrower, and as such, it can afford to omit a main character entirely from the game and not really have that big of a difference on the story.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Animasta
    @sixghost said:
    " @Laketown said:
    Chill with the hyperbole, there's nothing amazing about the story. It's decent enough for a video game, but it's still pretty predictable. Also, ME2 would never be able to match AP in that respect because AP's scope of story is so much narrower, and as such, it can afford to omit a main character entirely from the game and not really have that big of a difference on the story. "
    I never said the story was amazing, the reactivity of the story was amazing ;)
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @sixghost: yeah,me2 sucks :)
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @Laketown said:
    What part is so amazing? 

The whole narrative was garbage, like Madison getting captured when the safehouse is 100% secret, then having to "choose" saving her or saving strangers. What the fuck was that? 
     And Scarlet working for Hallbeck, which I figured within 2 hours (I did the Taipei mission first) and then in the end she shoots Hallbeck's president in the most confusing scene in video games ever. 

Even mentioning Mass Effect in the same sentence is a crime, but I don't hate AP because I love ME, that's unrelated. You are right about the voice acting, it's great, but the characters are all pretty much garbage too.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @TheDudeOfGaming said:
    " How buggy is the game?I was really hyped for the game,but when i saw the reviews it turned me away.. "
    It's not buggy it's just terribly mediocre throughout, and lame and dice-rolly and just boring....I haven't experienced any bugs at all.
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @blacklabeldomm: i dont know dude,you seem biased, everyone says the story is Alpha's best aspect...
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @TheDudeOfGaming said:
    " @blacklabeldomm: i dont know dude,you seem biased, everyone says the story is Alpha's best aspect... "
    That's why I made this thread, why does everyone like it so much?
    Ihmishylje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Ihmishylje

WHY YOU WANT BETTER STORY FOR ALPHA PROTOCOL? IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH AS PRODUCED FROM OBSIDIAN ENTERTAINMENT? YOU THINK NEEDS IMPROVEMENT? THEN MAYBE YOU FIND JOB WITH OBSIDIAN! YOU HAVE DRINKS WITH CHRIS AVELLONE, TRADE STORY OF MANY GAMES DESIGNED AND DETAILS OF SCHOOL FOR GAME DESIGN!

OR MAYBE YOU NOT DO THIS. PROBABLY IS BECAUSE YOU NEVER DESIGN GAME IN WHOLE LIFE. YOU LOOK AT FINE OBSIDIAN GAME, THINK IT NEED CRAZY SHIT STICK ON ALL SIDES OF GAME.

GAME IS FINE.

http://i.imgur.com/Tz0m3.png

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By l4wd0g
    @Abyssfull said:
    " @Chris2KLee said:
    " @TheDudeOfGaming said:
    The cheaper you find it, the better the game will be. I paid $6 dollars and had fun with it, but there are some very frustrating parts. I think the writer at Joystiq also totally hated the story of the game, and called all the voice work and writing terrible, which is strange because I thought it was the best part of the game. "
    The voice acting too? Pff, that's insane! A game that features Fred Tatasciore, Jim Cummings and Nolan North isn't a game that warrants criticism for its voice work U.U "
    Nolan North's character was great. I love that game.
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Chris2KLee
    @blacklabeldomm said:

" @TheDudeOfGaming said:

" @blacklabeldomm: i dont know dude,you seem biased, everyone says the story is Alpha's best aspect... "
    That's why I made this thread, why does everyone like it so much? "
    I think there are some good ideas in there, and Obsidian did a good job making a fun (if somewhat cliche) spy story. The decisions are cool and have weight thanks to a tighter focus, but it is all wrapped up in some very bad gameplay. Just keep that in mind if to pick it up. I think Jeff hit it on the head with his review.
    fullmetal5550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By fullmetal5550

I thought Alpha Protocol was a pretty nice game. I ran into a few bugs but none that ruined the game for me.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Chris2KLee
    @l4wd0g said:
    " Nolan North's character was great. I love that game. "
    Well, that performance was nominated for a Northie :)
    Ihmishylje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ihmishylje

Alpha Protocol is easily in my Top 10 for last year, if not particularly high on that list. I don't get what people are complaining about. Maybe if you expect it to play like Gears of War, or Splinter Cell, then yes you'll be disappointed. It has dice rolls, but they never ruined the experience for me, I quite enjoyed them, actually. It's an RPG made by people who clearly think like good DMs think, and maybe that's why I liked it so much. No, the story isn't revolutionary, but it's perfectly serviceable for what it does: makes you feel like a spy in a spy movie. Somebody mentioned 90s Bond films, which is right, I think. Goldeneye was my favourite Bond film growing up, and I think Alpha Protocol hit those notes perfectly, with some Jason Bourne thrown in for good measure.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Azteck
    @Ihmishylje said:
    " WHY YOU WANT BETTER STORY FOR ALPHA PROTOCOL? IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH AS PRODUCED FROM OBSIDIAN ENTERTAINMENT? YOU THINK NEEDS IMPROVEMENT? THEN MAYBE YOU FIND JOB WITH OBSIDIAN! YOU HAVE DRINKS WITH CHRIS AVELLONE, TRADE STORY OF MANY GAMES DESIGNED AND DETAILS OF SCHOOL FOR GAME DESIGN!  OR MAYBE YOU NOT DO THIS. PROBABLY IS BECAUSE YOU NEVER DESIGN GAME IN WHOLE LIFE. YOU LOOK AT FINE OBSIDIAN GAME, THINK IT NEED CRAZY SHIT STICK ON ALL SIDES OF GAME. GAME IS FINE.   http://i.imgur.com/Tz0m3.png "
    That is hilarious. You are hilarious.

Also I love Alpha Protocol. Sure, it's not a tripple-A game, but if you're able to overlook some flaws there's a lot of fun in it.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @Ihmishylje said:
    " WHY YOU WANT BETTER STORY FOR ALPHA PROTOCOL? IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH AS PRODUCED FROM OBSIDIAN ENTERTAINMENT? YOU THINK NEEDS IMPROVEMENT? THEN MAYBE YOU FIND JOB WITH OBSIDIAN! YOU HAVE DRINKS WITH CHRIS AVELLONE, TRADE STORY OF MANY GAMES DESIGNED AND DETAILS OF SCHOOL FOR GAME DESIGN!  OR MAYBE YOU NOT DO THIS. PROBABLY IS BECAUSE YOU NEVER DESIGN GAME IN WHOLE LIFE. YOU LOOK AT FINE OBSIDIAN GAME, THINK IT NEED CRAZY SHIT STICK ON ALL SIDES OF GAME. GAME IS FINE.   http://i.imgur.com/Tz0m3.png "
    I like your style!

Also there was plenty of crazy shit sticks in AP, like fighting a 80s loving red mafia boss on a concert stage.
    Also I would not drink his shitty American beer.
    Ihmishylje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ihmishylje
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    "I like your style!  Also there was plenty of crazy shit sticks in AP, like fighting a 80s loving red mafia boss on a concert stage. Also I would not drink his shitty American beer. "
    That fight was awesome. Maybe not from a gameplay perspective, but I thought it was pretty funny.

Is Canadian beer significantly better than American beer, then? I wouldn't know, I don't drink.
    EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

Finished it over this weekend (and wrote my first user review for it too). For me, the storyline itself wasn't so great, even incomprehensible at times. Although I eventually got to a point where I wasn't bothering to read the dossiers anymore so that probably didn't help. The interactivity of the story is great though, and the sense of how things may change amongst different playthroughs seems like it's beyond games like Mass Effect, Fallout 3 and Heavy Rain. Unfortunately the action parts of it are baaaaaaad. And in the end that's what you're spending the vast majority of your time doing.    

Biggest bug I ran into was moving through some scaffolding, the contextual marker for dropping down wouldn't work and left me stuck on a ledge, so I had to reload a previous save. Not exactly game breaking, but did raise the question "why can't I just walk off the edge of this thing?".  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.