This is the most underrated game of the year.

#1 Posted by pretender15 (192 posts) -

Along with Singularity, imho.

#2 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -

No, it's not.

#3 Posted by AlexW00d (6185 posts) -

Alpha Protocol is a fun game! It is a bad game, but it is fun. 
The people who think its combat is broken are the kind of people who try and play it like a 3rd Person Shooter.  Everything else is completely broken though.

#4 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I've seen this thread before... 

Is it actually worth playing? It is hard for me to believe.

#5 Posted by ThePickle (4153 posts) -

God, quite being such a streamer 

#6 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

I've only played a bit of Alpha Protocol but I like what I've seen so far. The stand-out feature to me is the voice acting, it's actually really, really good. 

#7 Posted by RVonE (4603 posts) -
@BulletproofMonk said:
"No, it's not. "
#9 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

I watched the Quicklook and nothing about it looked good to me.

#10 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Singularity was definitely underrated. Alpha Protocol could've used some more time in development, but I do agree that it wasn't as well received as it could've been.

#11 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

yes you are right 

@benjaebe:  Singularity was good too, but I'll go Alpha

#12 Posted by General_D23 (1201 posts) -

I'll agree with Singularity most definitely, but Alpha Protocol? Nope.

#13 Posted by AlexW00d (6185 posts) -
@Geno: Good old Nolan North is the voice of Stephen Heck.
#14 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@AlexW00d said:

" @Geno: Good old Nolan North is the voice of Stephen Heck. "

I want to marry  Stephen Heck.
#15 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Well, thanks to it's extremely bad optimization (pretty much unplayable at 640x480 with worst settings possible, 30 fps+ in source games on high graphics at 1360x768 on this PC) I haven't been able to check it out seeing as my real PC has been broken for almost 2 months now and when I did get it back the case was broken. 

From what I did play though, it's pretty neat, but I prefer Splinter Cell for stealth and Mass Effect for RPG thank you. The precision shot with pistol is a decent system but when you're in a real fight, you want your headshots to be headshots and you don't want the fight to rely on RNG.  
#16 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@Jack268: The game runs on UE3, there is no better optimized engine at the moment. 
#17 Posted by CaptainCody (1505 posts) -
@PeasantAbuse said:
"I'm tired of all of this mainstream bullshit you're posting. "
#18 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@Geno: Really? I'm fps stuttering so fucking harshly when playing it even when I put the settings to the lowest of the low. I know you're probably not supposed to use an onboard GPU but well, it works with most games and yeah, can't shell out for a new PC atm.
#19 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@Jack268 said:
" @Geno: Really? I'm fps stuttering so fucking harshly when playing it even when I put the settings to the lowest of the low. I know you're probably not supposed to use an onboard GPU but well, it works with most games and yeah, can't shell out for a new PC atm. "
If you're using an onboard GPU you're probably not even meeting the minimum specs. You said you're getting around 30fps in Source games; although UE3 is very optimized and more or less a mainstream engine, it's still a lot more demanding than Source so the lower framerate and stuttering are to be expected.
#20 Posted by MightyDuck (1502 posts) -

I enjoyed it during my playthrough with it.  It is definitely broken in spots though.  I'm reminded off the boss battle against the 80's Eastern Euro Mobster.  I couldn't beat him to save my life.  Finally, I ran in circles until he got stuck on the wall.  

However, once I beat it, I did not have any interest to go through it again.

#21 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

I actually enjoyed Alpha Protocol quite a bit. It wasn't nearly as good as it could've been, but I wouldn't call it bad either. Maybe I'm just very patient with shitty games. 

#22 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11477 posts) -

Yeah, no. Alpha Protocol is a game brimming with promise that is continually squandered throughout the game in both the gameplay and story departments.

#23 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@Geno: Well, can't have everything I guess :p
#24 Posted by MrMcJerk (44 posts) -

Amazing RPG, middling shooting/stealth/Brayko/SMGs yeah really everything else besides the dialog.  Although that is good enough to play through it a few times.

#25 Posted by Meltac (1999 posts) -

Yes it is! People are playing it the wrong way, and when that's not working for them, they just call it a broken game. 

#26 Posted by Sjosz (485 posts) -
@Geno: @Geno said:
" @Jack268: The game runs on UE3, there is no better optimized engine at the moment.  "
UE3 is capable of many optimizations, but if you as a company cannot harness the technology, you can have the most amazing software in your hands and make a badly performing game.

That said, I'm enjoying Alpha Protocol. It suffers on the technical side, and the gameplay systems are over-designed, but I like the timed conversations, keeps things going and gives me a sense of urgency.
#27 Posted by wjkelso (71 posts) -
@pretender15: You mean the most underated "broken" game of the year.
#28 Edited by Tennmuerti (8005 posts) -

Agreed.

It's a superb RPG.
The amount of decisions you can make and how they all affect the game in a huge network like fashion is insane. Other games don't even come close.
After Alpha Protocol, choices and consequences in games like ME2 make you laugh.

Just like  Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines this will be remembered fondly as one of the RPG classics in the following years.  

@Meltac said:

" Yes it is! People are playing it the wrong way, and when that's not working for them, they just call it a broken game.  "

This. 

@wjkelso said:

" @pretender15: You mean the most underated "broken" game of the year. "

Can you explain what was so much broken to place it into the most broken category?
The game mechanics are not broken, people just don't even bother to understand them, then complain.
Bugs and game glitches are very rare, this game is nowhere near as broken as Fallout New Vegas for example. There are just as many bugs in Mass Effect 2.
#29 Posted by wjkelso (71 posts) -
@Meltac: If you're able to play a game "the wrong way", generally that's considered the developers fault, not the players 
#30 Posted by Tennmuerti (8005 posts) -
@wjkelso said:
" @Meltac: If you're able to play a game "the wrong way", generally that's considered the developers fault, not the players  "
You can play any game the wrong way. I can play ME2 the wrong way trying to scan every planet or Black Ops looking for an engaging story.
There are a plethora of people complaining about guns in AP without realizing that this game is first and foremost an RPG not a shooter or even a stealth based game like Splinter Cell, it has those elements but they are not a priority. Those people are playing it the wrong way.
#31 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -

i just spent about an hour thinking about where alpha protocol belongs on my list. I wanna give it a space so bad but i just don't know where.

#32 Posted by TheHT (10886 posts) -
@HandsomeDevil said:
" God, quite being such a streamer "
Ugh, like, stop being such a total streamer using slang like streamer, like ohmygosh.
#33 Posted by Meltac (1999 posts) -
@wjkelso said:
" @Meltac: If you're able to play a game "the wrong way", generally that's considered the developers fault, not the players  "
When people are playing the game like any other third person shooter, and not taking their time to understand the different mechanics, then it isn't the developers fault, but the player. The game isn't about shooting everyone, and everything, and that's why your shots are so inaccurate, it's on purpose, and I think it's great. It makes you think about the situation an extra time, and makes you consider if you really want to go out guns blazing. In the first place, the game is dice rolling RPG, and people need to realize that before complaining, and throwing out "The game is broken". 
#34 Posted by Kazona (3059 posts) -

Alpha Protocol is a mishmash of genres, and it doesn't do any of them particularly well. To me, it feels like an RPG that tries to be an action game, but doesn't know how to make the two genres match. In my opinion, the whole dice role system is what hurts this game. It hurt the combat in Fallout 3 as well, but in that game, at least, the horrible shooting mechanics were saved by the VATS system.  

I bought this game during the Christmas sale, for 7.50, and even that was too much money. It isn't a matter of understanding the mechanics--I understand them perfectly fine--but a matter of them simply being poorly implemented. 

#35 Posted by Soap (3565 posts) -

I'm all for free speech and I understand that everyone has different opinions but Alpha Protocol is an exception, anyone who thinks that game is anything other than a steaming pile of shit should be rounded up and shot through the back of the head, it's the humane thing to do. 

#36 Posted by ESREVER (2670 posts) -

I'm getting sick of seeing "underrated/overrated" threads. Categorizing games as underrated is overrated :/ 

However, I've heard some good things about this game, and that the people who love it, really love it. I'm sure I'll give it a look-see sometime down the line. Might have to pick it up on Steam when it's practically free.

#37 Posted by Skunkboy72 (128 posts) -

@zombie2011 said:

" I watched the Quicklook and nothing about it looked good to me. "

aka: I haven't played the game so I should shut the fuck up
#38 Posted by gla55jAw (2686 posts) -

I feel like I've posted this same answer 2 other times but, I liked it. It was cool how the choices you made effected all characters you've met or meet. The gameplay is a little silly if you master stealth and turn invisible all the time, but if you can get it cheap I say get it. I originally beat it off a rental but more recently picked it up for $5 and am going to play it again.

#39 Posted by MrJared (397 posts) -

Alpha Protocol is the best game Obsidian put out this year. Awww yeaaaah.

#40 Posted by 02sfraser (847 posts) -

Alpha Protocol is great fun! However almost every gameplay aspect is horribly broken so I'm not sure you can call it a underrated game.

#41 Posted by PooffBallzZzZ (86 posts) -
#42 Posted by Riddell (342 posts) -

I played it through. It's thoroughly average.

#43 Edited by Downsize (133 posts) -

I stayed away from this game based on bad reviews and freinds owning it,  just a bad experience.

Shoud I a waste rental?

#44 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -
@Downsize said:
" I stayed away from this game based on bad reviews and freinds owning it,  just a bad experience.  Shoud I a waste rental? "
It will be on sale again on Steam, check it out.
#45 Posted by PeepingTommy (63 posts) -

I'm going with Chime.

#46 Posted by Venatio (4482 posts) -

How well did Darksiders do? I mean saleswise and review wise? Just bought it on Steam and it's goung on my top ten list of 2010

#47 Posted by Junkerman (253 posts) -

I agree, I think this game is absolutely fantastic, its attention to story and decision making make this game worthwhile, there are literally dozens of variables at play that really impressed me; such as characters responding to passed actions, difficult split-second decision making and a dynamic story that's entire plot can seemingly change depending on how you played that game.

#48 Edited by dagas (2746 posts) -

I just bought it for €15. I'm hoping I'll love the game despite its faults. Many games are great despite being kind of broken like Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines which had problems, but I still consider it to be one of the best games I've played. It's not like the market is full of RPG's to choose from. I can't think of anyone doing story driven WRPG's except for Bioware and Obsidian. Borderlands or Fallout are good games, but I prefer the type of RPGs that Bioware makes, too bad no one else does it like Bioware.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.