Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alpha Protocol

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 27, 2010

Control rogue agent Michael Thorton as he tries to unearth an international conspiracy in the near future (where everybody seems to have a hidden agenda or two) in this third-person action RPG.

Why are there some haters of this game?

pretender15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pretender15

It seems like a lot of people hated on Alpha Protocol without even playing it. This is no doubt due to IGN giving the game a relatively bad review. But who else here actually loved the game?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#2  Edited By alistercat

I thought it was great for what I paid for it, but I didn't pay full price. There's a lot to like but just as much to dislike about it.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Pinworm45
    @pretender15 said:
    " This is no doubt due to IGN giving the game a relatively bad review."
    Or cause it, ya know, just looks bad? 

I never read the IGN review and I guess I'm a "hater" of this game because I thought it looked pretty bad every time I saw it. 

I am interested in seeing if the story stuff is as good as people say though, so I'll probably buy it for mas.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FunExplosions

IGN factors in on this? Not to me. For me, it was the Giant Bomb quick look. Made me bored and disgusted. Not saying I wouldn't like the game, I'm sure I might. But there's so many other games I'd rather play.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pezen

The biggest flaw I saw in that game was how it gave you options on how you wanted to play the game but it was not always forthcoming about how to go about applying that way, or if it were even possible. And sometimes it straight up forced you to play against your style. Such as being a stealth guy and being put against an obviously close-range assult type of boss-fight. I had to 'glitch' the game to finish one boss fight, by applying the invisibility thing the game 'forgot' to send out helpers to the boss every 'cycle'.

So other than being a bit janky, it was a lot of fun story wise. If they could have tuned the combat a bit more and made boss fights equally 'your-way', I wouldn't mind a sequel.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By alternate

I dunno, even the reviews that said they really liked the story said that the game was flat out broken.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By nintendoeats

It has lots of issues in the core mechanics, if you don't care for the things that it does well it's perfectly reasonable to dislike it.

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By floodiastus
    @pretender15 said:
    " It seems like a lot of people hated on Alpha Protocol without even playing it. This is no doubt due to IGN giving the game a relatively bad review. But who else here actually loved the game? "
    I played it, very very bad game imho. I play all genres, but as an FPS it sucked, as an RPG it sucked. It was too stripped down, pacing, graphics, story, controls, customization was all bad.
    pretender15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pretender15
    @Pinworm45 said:
    " @pretender15 said:
    " This is no doubt due to IGN giving the game a relatively bad review."
    Or cause it, ya know, just looks bad?  I never read the IGN review and I guess I'm a "hater" of this game because I thought it looked pretty bad every time I saw it.  I am interested in seeing if the story stuff is as good as people say though, so I'll probably buy it for mas. "
    Graphics whore? Or are you refering to the gameplay/story?
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Well I really liked it, but I can understand why some people didn't share my opinion. Gameplay wise, it was pretty clunky.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By ProfessorEss

This wasn't about IGN, this was about a general consensus from both critics and gamers.
    Everything I was reading before it's release was hyping it up to be an obvious nominee for game of the year.
    Everything I read after it's release was either bad, or overly apologetic.

Like many other games, I really hope to try it and decide for myself eventually, but games are being released at a neck-breaking pace these days and my time is just too limited to try everything I want to try.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By haggis

Why are there haters of the game? Because it's a game, and because people have opinions that are there own. I often wonder why people care that others hate a game. If you like it, play it. Enjoy it. That should be enough. I don't understand this need for validation in liking a game any more than I understand the need for validation in hating one.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By CptChiken
    @FunExplosions said:
    " IGN factors in on this? Not to me. For me, it was the Giant Bomb quick look. Made me bored and disgusted. Not saying I wouldn't like the game, I'm sure I might. But there's so many other games I'd rather play. "
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By delta_ass

It's cause it sucked.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Kyle

Game itself aside, let's not forget what happened leading up to the game's release. alpha protocol had a set release date in 2009. Sega didn't announce it's delay until THAT DAY. People literally went to stores, asked for a copy of Alpha Protocol, and were met with responses of "uh... we didn't get any..." 

The game was then delayed a few more times, and finally released almost an entire year later, and I didn't hear a single positive thing about it from any game critic, some even going as far as to say parts of the game were blatantly unfinished. 

I haven't played Alpha Protocol, so I can't say how it is, but if you look at it from the perspective of somebody who was actually eagerly awaiting that game's release for years, it sure sounds like it would have been disappointing.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

I didn't like it because it was busted.  THe parts that where I could play it were dull.
    SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By SonicFire

The game is okay, but it has some serious problems. It's definitely a case of great ambitions without the talent to back it up...aka, the fable syndrome
    Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Aronman789

I hate this fucker's face.
     I hate this fucker's face.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5806ee571ffac
    deactivated-5806ee571ffac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I thought it was a great game

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.