Giant Bomb Mailbag: Numbers Station Edition

#101 Posted by Skrattybones (66 posts) -

We solved the first letter. We're on isotope now.
#102 Posted by Masonvd (165 posts) -

What's the woman saying at the beginning of the GKnova6.com site? I can't make it out.

#103 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

The site shows nuclear reaction and stuff, so yeah, it's Fallout.

#104 Posted by dhuff (120 posts) -

The quote in the beginning is from Francis Bacon. Something interesting from wikipedia 

"  His dedication brought him into a rare historical group of scientists who were killed by their own experiments." 

This is definitely science based. Fallout or Portal most likely. Maybe Deus Ex.
#105 Posted by EasyPeasey (159 posts) -
@Darktoad450: hell is purple?
#106 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

Well, this is all bloody exciting I think! I really don't know what it could be though. I don't think Fallout: New Vegas is such a bad idea thou, considering the "voice-acting" in the mp3 file somewhat reminded me of Fallout 3. Then again, Valve is know for their mysteries approaches towards advertising and marketing of their games, so Portal news perhaps? Or like I dearly hope for, Half-life......... But I doubt it.

#107 Posted by Skrattybones (66 posts) -

So, the video that plays definitely shows a Mason symbol. I think it might be A Secret World.
#108 Posted by JokerSmilez (1293 posts) -
@Anthal said:
" Best I can tell it's:  mod / movas / ixnov / asixn / ovasi / xnova / sixno / vasix / novas / ixnov / asixn / ovasi / xnova   Some of those n's may be m's, some of the v's may be d/b's  Using the same 3 letter crypto is garbage, I think the initial mod is part of the key.  Before it loops, a voice says "hell is purple"  "
It's "Nova Six" over and over again.
#109 Posted by guts450 (18 posts) -

the tv style in the picture doesn't strike me as the "50's" fallout style, unless they planned it that way to not make it obvious

#110 Posted by Ronin147 (77 posts) -

Checked out the setup for New Vegas 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_New_Vegas

It mentions two factions the New California Republic (NCR) and the Caesar's Legion, a slaver group   

So the Caesars's part kind of fits in I dont know about the New California Republic
#111 Posted by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -

New Lost game?

#112 Posted by Masonvd (165 posts) -
@guts450: Uranium 235 and 238 are the isoptopes of enriched an depleted Uranium which, according to wiki were used in an atomic bomb. 

New vegas is looking very likely here.
#113 Posted by heavymetalman (1 posts) -
#114 Posted by Downandout (290 posts) -

a baseball? maybe that means something.

#115 Posted by Sweep (8793 posts) -

if you translate the code into Base64, it reads:

AAAAAAAAAhAAAAglAAAAAAA3R0sAAAAAABb9oAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA==

Another clue, perhaps?
#116 Posted by Flaime (525 posts) -

The monitor on features a lot of nuclear/atom/fission stuff 

I captured some of them:

The second one spells Uranium, a bit hard to see though.
#117 Posted by sandwich_adjustment (685 posts) -

those richard wright stamps are dope!

#118 Posted by aurahack (2264 posts) -

Now that I think about, Fallout + Numbers Stations would make sense. Isn't radio transmissions essentially how side-missions/DLC within Fallout 3 were communicated?

#119 Posted by Seraphim2150 (325 posts) -
@dhuff: That quote sounds very Portal-esque, with GLADOS killing all the scientists working on her upon activation.
#120 Posted by EasyPeasey (159 posts) -

OK so it's about Fallout New Vegas but what does it mean? whats the point of it?

#121 Posted by Rirobuge (163 posts) -

They say hell is purple at the end of the clip, there is a website www.purplehell.com which looks to be an online riddle solving tool website.

#122 Posted by sorryawkward (40 posts) -

FYI you can turn the knob on the tv to get a clear picture. you get kennedy, baseball, uranium, rockets 

This is definitely New Vegas-y

#123 Posted by Vinny (1572 posts) -
@Flaime said:
" The monitor on features a lot of nuclear/atom/fission stuff 

I captured some of them:

The second one spells Uranium, a bit hard to see though. "
I think you can turn the dial to clear it up a bit
Staff
#124 Posted by divisionbyzorro (57 posts) -

You can turn the TV knob to clear up the picture :)

#125 Posted by taemun (19 posts) -

If you drag the dial on the right hand side of the tv down, the picture changes. A lot. Go to town, folks.

#126 Posted by Skrattybones (66 posts) -

You can turn the knob on the television to clear it up. 

Is this not a Mason thing? 

#127 Posted by EasyPeasey (159 posts) -
@Flaime: turn the knob on the side of the TV to get clearer images
#128 Posted by Crimsai (5 posts) -

There is the other quote after "Hell is purple" but can't figure out what it is/ what its from. Something about making a world of their own conception?

#129 Posted by guts450 (18 posts) -
@Seraphim2150:  could also mean scientists making the atom bomb that ended civilization in the fallout series
#130 Posted by sorryawkward (40 posts) -
@Skrattybones: That is a baseball field... So Yes. Baseball is very Mason-y.
#131 Posted by MAST (726 posts) -

The website http://www.gknova6.com/ shows (I think) atoms splitting, explosive graphics, talks about a "new world order" and generally just has a post-holocaust vibe to it. It also shows John F. Kennedy, whatever significant that holds I have no idea.

That also fits with the mention of Francis Bacon that someone else found. "Bacon's vision for a Utopian New World in North America was laid out in his novel New Atlantis." Looks like that guy had "New World" utopia ideas as well.

Not sure if any of that has any significance. Just throwing it out there.

#132 Posted by iToastage_FM (21 posts) -

purple hell is a site about cryptography:   www.purplehell.com 

#133 Posted by divisionbyzorro (57 posts) -

Remember how Vinny reversed part of the WAV file? What happens if you reverse the "Hell Is Purple" phrase?

#134 Posted by aurahack (2264 posts) -
#135 Posted by Masonvd (165 posts) -
#136 Posted by Flaime (525 posts) -
@Vinny: oh darn
#137 Posted by BODDAH (315 posts) -
#138 Posted by guts450 (18 posts) -
@Skrattybones:  baseball stadium
#139 Posted by Nictel (2369 posts) -

Nova Zembla or Novaya Zemlya has been a site for nuclear warhead testing, just wanted to throw that out here.

#140 Edited by Majkiboy (953 posts) -

if no one noticed

http://purplehell.com/riddletools/coltrans.htm 

:)

Do something crazy with it!

#141 Posted by guts450 (18 posts) -

right before the Kennedy pic is a thing that says PLAN, kinda looks like a circuit board.  Also being as it has to do with the bomb and now Kennedy maybe it has something to do with the Cuban missile crisis? just spit balling

#142 Posted by Tiwi (1401 posts) -

I'm going to go out on a limb and say The secret world. that game has had some ARG game going since 2006, no surprise it's still going.

#143 Posted by wings (43 posts) -

this is fucking cool

#144 Posted by Milkman (16485 posts) -

My first guess would be Fallout: New Vegas, also. Though I'll leave the decrypting to the internet.

#145 Posted by BODDAH (315 posts) -
#146 Posted by the_dudefather (35 posts) -

Source for some of the cartoon bits 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50lxlqzRaVE&feature=related

#147 Posted by Skrattybones (66 posts) -

Yeah, I guess I got ahead of myself there with the Mason stuff. 

But check out THIS logic: 

C-I-P-H-E-R. 

We had to use cryptography to solve the first bunch of stuff, which led us to the website with the video with the uranium isotope themes. So we've solved C, and we're working out I now. Maybe we're going about it incorrectly?
#148 Posted by EasyPeasey (159 posts) -

what about   00000000 00000210 00000825 000000000037474B 00000000 0016FDA0 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000? what is that?

#149 Posted by Masonvd (165 posts) -

So the video clearly shows: 

Basball stadium 

baseball 

Uranium, depeleted and enriched, 

A nuke of some sort 

When the people are standing behind the TV does it look like Nixon on the TV?

#150 Posted by Skrattybones (66 posts) -
@EasyPeasey: 
That was what led us to the website with the video.    

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.