woah, this is bad-ass!
Giant Bomb Mailbag: Numbers Station Edition
In Bacon's Cypher you need two typefaces. In the web audio, there are two voices.
But I'm not getting anywhere with it. So far it's gotten me :
AAAAA ABBBB BAAAB ABAAA ABABB BABBA AABAA AABAA ABABA BAABB BABBA ABBBA
Which, according to wikipedia, becomes one of the following:
Interesting things about Richard Wright:
- Young black writer, apparent communist sympathies, living in chicago in 1927
- "In 1937, Richard Wright moved to New York, where he forged new ties with Communist Party members there after getting established."
- "Wright gained national attention for the collection of four short stories titled Uncle Tom's Children (1938). He based some stories on lynching in the Deep South."
- " The collection also earned him a Guggenheim Fellowship, which allowed him to complete his first novel Native Son (1940). Native Son was selected by the Book of the Month Club as its first book by an African-American author. The lead character, Bigger Thomas, represented limitations that society placed on African Americans. He could only gain his own agency and self-knowledge by committing heinous acts. Wright was criticized for his works' concentration on violence. In the case of Native Son, people complained that he portrayed a black man in ways that seemed to confirm whites' worst fears."
- "He then went to Chapel Hill, North Carolina, where he and Paul Green collaborated on a dramatic version of Native Son. In January 1941 Wright received the prestigious Spingarn Medal for noteworthy achievement by a black. Native Son opened on Broadway, with Orson Welles as director, to generally favorable reviews in March 1941."
Here's something really interesting:
- Wright moved to Paris in 1946
- His Existentialist phase was depicted in his second novel, The Outsider (1953), which described an African-American character's involvement with the Communist Party in New York.
The Outsider is an upcoming game by Frontier Developments. Potential clue?
Well according to Wikipedia "a nova is a cataclysmic nuclear explosion caused by the accretion of hydrogen onto the surface of a white dwarf star, which ignites and starts nuclear fusion in a runaway matter."
There have been over 53 novae registered since 1890. One worth noting is GK Persei.
All I can do for this is share my science knowledge with you. Not from Wikipedia, but from good ol' high school first year university, couple-hundred-dollar textbooks, and professors. There are so many reasons that this info is SOME OF THE REAL.
"Isotopes" of "Hydrogen" are used in nuclear fusion, namely deuterium (one proton and one neutron in the nucleus) and tritium (one proton and two neutrons). Each of the isotopes, as well as just plain old one-proton Hydrogen has one electron in the "1s" orbital. In nuclear fusion, you basically throw two Hydrogen isotopes at each other hard enough that the nuclei fuse into a Helium atom, and release a metric shit-ton of energy in the process.
The video on gknova6.com definitely shows a nuclear fission chain reaction, probably a Uranium-236 or something nucleus being split by a neutron, producing more neutrons to go off and split the resulting atomic nuclei. This is the type of reaction used in nuclear bombs, which are basically an uncontrolled, runaway fission chain reaction. In some bomb designs there is both fusion and fission used for the destructive energy, for example, fusion being used to produce the neutrons required for fusion. In most cases, the fission is responsible for the destructive force of the bomb.
So basically, I'm jumping on the Fallout bandwagon. But seeing as it's been announced and all, and Portal 2 already had its little ARG thing, this might be something totally new. Remember that super-nice-looking trailer with that guy in non-Master-Chief-but-kinda-close-minus-the-helmet white armor, and everything's all gray and washed out, and dude has a gun? Maybe it's that. I dunno. Brink? Was there a nuclear war in Brink?
It also has Uranium-235 in there, so a post apocalyptic new world order thing seems about right.
" The website http://www.gknova6.com/ shows (I think) atoms splitting, explosive graphics, talks about a "new world order" and generally just has a post-holocaust vibe to it. It also shows John F. Kennedy, whatever significant that holds I have no idea.
That also fits with the mention of Francis Bacon that someone else found. "Bacon's vision for a Utopian New World in North America was laid out in his novel New Atlantis." Looks like that guy had "New World" utopia ideas as well. Not sure if any of that has any significance. Just throwing it out there. "
Also those music notes.. anyone know if they have any significance? I am sure they must.
Seems very much a Fallout New Vegas thing. Neat =P
Also: turning the nob down really helps
I may be taking this lovecraft thing to far but from Wiki:
" In other tales, an entire society is threatened by barbarism. Sometimes the barbarism comes as an external threat, with a civilized race destroyed in war (e.g., "Polaris")"
I'm still leaning towards fallout or at least SOMETHING post apocalyptic. Could this be that game that was on IGN a while ago? Can't remember the name of it. In the game you're the slave of some woman or something like that.
That's my second guess. anyone remember the name?
EDIT: Game is called Enslaved. My guess is it's for that.
" @Skrattybones said:I doubt they figured it all out by themselves. They were probably reading the forums.
" @divisionbyzorro said:I just want to feel special" @Skrattybones said:I doubt they figured it all out by themselves. They were probably reading the forums. "
"Exactly what I was thinking. This sorta viral marketing always seems pointless when it's for an already announced game.
It would be kinda weird if it was New Vegas. I mean, Vegas has already been announced, so would make little sense starting up such a mystery about a game we all already know is coming, right?"
This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.
Comment and Save
Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.