Giant Bomb Mailbag: Numbers Station Edition

#201 Posted by Masonvd (162 posts) -
@EasyPeasey: Omg that's totally it. You win
#202 Posted by Skrattybones (66 posts) -

Can somebody trace that website back to who registered it?
#203 Posted by ZagZagovich (769 posts) -
@Skrattybones: 
I tried but whois and alexa have nothing on it.
Here's some info 
http://whois.domaintools.com/gknova6.com
#204 Edited by Flaime (527 posts) -

It wouldn't make any sense if it was The Outsider, they are clearly setting it up to be some sort of post-apocalyptic/nuclear/atom game (from what I've read and seen, The Outsider is none of that). 
Part of me really want to believe it's Duke Nukem Forever or HL2:E3, but these doesn't quite fit the description either.

#205 Edited by Scottstimo (2 posts) -

EDIT: Adjusting the nob on right, you can make the picture less static-y. If you wait long enough, there's a picture of a missile, with a Pip-boy like Person in the tail of the missile. DAT FALLOUT REFFERENCE.

My day just got a lot more interesting.

#206 Posted by Yoda (55 posts) -

more about gknova6 website..::

Domain Name: GKNOVA6.COM
Registrar: MARKMONITOR INC.
Whois Server: whois.markmonitor.com
Referral URL: http://www.markmonitor.com
Name Server: NS1.HOSTMONSTER.COM
Name Server: NS2.HOSTMONSTER.COM
Updated Date: 26-mar-2010
Creation Date: 23-mar-2010
Expiration Date: 23-mar-2012
#207 Edited by Red_Dragon (10 posts) -

Was just listening to the audio on that site that was linked in the update. Right at the end it says "hell is purple". Googled it and came to this site:  http://www.purplehell.com/ Turns out to be "  Purple Hell, your one stop shop for riddle tools and resources. 

Don't know if thats any help. Its interesting though. 

edit: One more thing. The first letter of these words:   Cryptography 
Isotope
Philanthropy
Hydrogen
Ember
Rebirth 

Spells Cipher. Thats as far as I got...      

#208 Posted by CornBREDX (5648 posts) -
@Skrattybones: 
Registrar: MARKMONITOR INC. 

Dont know if that helps at all, the registrar info I have found is vague but suggests its registered through an anti fraud company (?) 
Idk, its kinda weird cus it also mentions DNStination INC.  
I dont suggest following these leads though, it doesnt look like its internally hosted by any game company that I can tell but whatever company it is could be related, I really dont know. But ya... can do whois searches for domain names through google if your realy interested; not gonna copy all the info here from it, tho, doesnt seem like something I should do.
#209 Posted by Nictel (2429 posts) -

If you go through whois.domaintools you get: 
 Registrant:
        DNS tination Inc
        DNStination Inc.
        303 Second Street Suite 800N
         San Francisco CA 94107
        US
         +1.4155319335 Fax:

Google maps with  San Francisco CA 94107 gives us a nice picture of:

#210 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -
@Flaime said:

" It wouldn't make any sense if it was The Outsider, they are clearly setting it up to be some sort of post-apocalyptic/nuclear/atom game (from what I've read and seen, The Outsider is none of that). 
Part of me really want to believe it's Duke Nukem Forever or HL2:E3, but these doesn't quite fit the description either. "

I totally agree. And if what the http://gknova6.com/ website shows us isnt completely bullshit and misleading, we are definitely looking at something linked to nuclear war or some setting where atomic bombs are key. And most likely in a POST-apocalyptic setting.
#211 Posted by Creamypies (4082 posts) -
@Nictel: I swear that picture showed up in that weird video.
#212 Posted by Yoda (55 posts) -

i just found out you can turn the nob thing on gnova website lol..

#213 Posted by RE_Player1 (7566 posts) -

take the first letter of each of those words CIPHER

#214 Posted by Skrattybones (66 posts) -

Huh. There was a statium in that video too. What's the name of that stadium?
#215 Posted by EasyPeasey (159 posts) -
@Nictel: just like the baseball stadium form the website. the website where they discussed nukes. and bombs. and heavily crowded baseball stadiums.
#216 Posted by Yoda (55 posts) -

this is DEFINITELY ... Fallout: New Vegas.

gnova6 website , you can turn the knob to adjust the picture on the screen. Near the end it shows the element of uranium, and a picture of a group of people that could be something like the manhatten project but i could be wrong about that part.

#217 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

Wow, good work everyone.

#218 Posted by EasyPeasey (159 posts) -
@RE_Player92: your a little bit late buddy. also you didn't read the story all the way. page through the comments to catch up
#219 Posted by Scottstimo (2 posts) -

Deffinitely Bethesda, as this explains it:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/05/arg-we-cant-believe-we-wasted-time-on-that/

#220 Posted by Nictel (2429 posts) -

So the stadium is called the AT&T park. AT&T making a post-apocalyptic game seems unlikely...

#221 Edited by Downandout (290 posts) -
@Skrattybones: The stadium in the video wasn't that one, it was yankee stadium, and it was depicting how much TNT would be required (enough to fill the stadium) to get the same blast as a single baseball sized amount of Uranium-235. 

@the_dudefather

said: 

" Source for some of the cartoon bits  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50lxlqzRaVE&feature=related "

It was on this video that was linked to earlier.  

EDIT: Skip to 3:15
#222 Posted by Yoda (55 posts) -

Someone explain to me what is this:

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6626/mysterypics.jpg

#223 Edited by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

@Scottstimo:  
Its kinda weird though, that they got a return adress to check out and GiantBomb did not. Also, leaving a return adress is way too revealing. Its not that simple, at least I wont believe that.

@Yoda

said:

" Someone explain to me what is this:   http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6626/mysterypics.jpg "

Yeah, I'm also curious about what that is
#224 Posted by supersonic4336 (53 posts) -

Has anyone considered the blinking light on the tv to see if that has significance. perhaps morse code. Though it could be random blinking. Also considering the 5 lights, and that people don't like to do work on weekends I agree with the theory that the site will change each day this week and the April week two is referring to this week.

#225 Posted by Impossibilium (684 posts) -

Isn't this obvious?

The retro style, the historical elements, the science gone mad ...

all points to Lincoln Force!

#226 Posted by Nictel (2429 posts) -
@Yoda said:
" Someone explain to me what is this:   http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6626/mysterypics.jpg "
It's JF Kennedy during the Cuban missle crisis:

#227 Posted by Yoda (55 posts) -
@Nictel: 

thanks.

has this been discovered yet ?
#228 Posted by Skrattybones (66 posts) -

so MarkMonitor, the company that registered that website is out of Bethesda, Maryland.
#229 Posted by Downandout (290 posts) -
@supersonic4336: This is what I said aswell earlier, it will probably unlock more as the week progresses, but i dont have the patience to wait if this is true ¬¬
#230 Posted by EasyPeasey (159 posts) -
@Nictel: so its a game about an alternate reality where US got nuked during the cuban missle crisis? and then we have to be saved by a time traveling Abe Lincoln? AWESOME
#231 Posted by supersonic4336 (53 posts) -

I just thought of something. If it is fallout related that might explain why it was sent to brad. He did just start fallout 3 and if the Bethesda guys listen to the bombcast they may figure he'd be best to send it to. Either that or everyone loves brad.

#232 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -
@supersonic4336 said:
" I just thought of something. If it is fallout related that might explain why it was sent to brad. He did just start fallout 3 and if the Bethesda guys listen to the bombcast they may figure he'd be best to send it to. Either that or everyone loves brad. "
You are a genius 
#233 Posted by VIGGO123 (553 posts) -

I think the most logical answer here is Fallout: New Vegas, but why go through all this fuzz for a game that has already been announced. The marketing style on the other hand fits Valve, with the Portal audio clips surfacing not long ago, but then again the contend doesn't fit any of their games. Unless it's a completely new one, though I really doubt that.
By the way, got to say I'm really impressed by the community's riddle-solving skills.

#234 Posted by SodiumFree (16 posts) -
#235 Posted by Skrattybones (66 posts) -
@SodiumFree: 

Yeah, we got all that first. At this point we're trying to circumnavigate the WEEK TWO stuff and trace it back to whomever is doing it.
#236 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

DAMN Giantbomb community YOU SMART!!!!  But now what gets wetter......as it DRYS!?

#237 Posted by MattyFTM (14420 posts) -

Giant Bomb community - you never cease to amaze me. Some A grade detective work there in solving it.

#238 Posted by RE_Player1 (7566 posts) -
@EasyPeasey: I know just trying to figure it out on my own lol
#239 Posted by Bayne (42 posts) -

Defintly fallout. The websit gave it away. You can fiddle with the tv so you can get a clear image. Uranium. Yer defintly Fallout. But maybe not vegas.

#240 Posted by Skrattybones (66 posts) -

I'm saying at the very end of CIPHER the Rebirth announces a remake of Fallout 1.

#241 Edited by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

Elderscrolls V Please

#242 Posted by KingOfIceland (654 posts) -

But is Bethesda still in bethesda? because the towns wiki page says this 

Software company Bethesda Softworks was originally located in Bethesda, but moved toRockville, Maryland in 1990    

bethsoft's wiki page states the same

#243 Posted by slyspider (1306 posts) -

did some research on other sites that got it. Joystick got "APRIL WEEK TWO" i listened to the tv thing and copyed down some numbers i heard "NOVSAIX"probable anagram. best thing i could get is nova six

#244 Posted by DystopiaX (5339 posts) -
@VIGGO123 said:
" I think the most logical answer here is Fallout: New Vegas, but why go through all this fuzz for a game that has already been announced. The marketing style on the other hand fits Valve, with the Portal audio clips surfacing not long ago, but then again the contend doesn't fit any of their games. Unless it's a completely new one, though I really doubt that. By the way, got to say I'm really impressed by the community's riddle-solving skills. "
yeah,,my guess is either fallout cause of the clues, or the CliffyB game that he's announcing, since epic still has that one studio making the unannounced game... maybe they're giving us time to figure it out, then reveal the whole thing on thursday?
#245 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

Hint: Uranium   U:235

That's all you need to know.

#246 Posted by KingOfIceland (654 posts) -

Here's my totally crazy, probably wrong guess: could this be for the CoD game Treyarch is probably making, which is probably going to take place in the Cold War?

#247 Edited by Izaak (248 posts) -
#248 Posted by Downandout (290 posts) -
@KingOfIceland: Good idea, but the source video for the website seems to much like the mid 50's style fallout has, like with people hypothesising all the amazing uses of nuclear energy and that, and every knows Treyarchs thing is going to be Vietnam, its the only really major conflict between the modern and world war 2 arenas of war.
#249 Posted by Seraphim84 (414 posts) -
@KingOfIceland: Yep, they're technically in Rockville now.  Keep forgetting that the good men and women at Bethesda live not 10 minutes away from me.
#250 Posted by Korne (625 posts) -

I really want it to be a Stafox game (Nova Bomb... sixth Starfox game)... it could also be something Fallout related (Fallout MMO). 

Those are my guesses.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.