Giant Bomb Mailbag: Numbers Station Edition

#251 Posted by AaronReynolds (69 posts) -

From what I've read, the only thing I can think of is that it's an alternate reality game, hypothesizing what would've happened if the cuban missle crisis actually started a nuclear war instead of ending in a compromise.

#252 Edited by DeadMonkeys (825 posts) -

About three seconds after I listened to the clip, fire alarms went off in the dormitories.
It ended up being a drill/false alarm, but was still kinda freaky.

#253 Posted by Sogeman (871 posts) -
@pbhawks45 said:
" @twentyTWO: HOLY SHIT DOOD I DIDN'T SEE THAT. "
lol, was the first thing I saw
#254 Posted by Rebirth1337 (795 posts) -

Well I know I'm late but I don't know if someone posted this yet. The GKNOVA6 site has a part of the MP3 that says "Hell is purple" when entered into google you get this website 
http://www.purplehell.com/ the site is all about riddle solving the first thing I read on the site was 
"Welcome to Purple Hell - Our aim is to be the No.1 resource for online riddle solving tools."
If some on already found this sorry it wasn't to hard to find anyway.

#255 Edited by weegieanawrench (1939 posts) -

HOLY FUCK. This is so weird. Also, found something cool. When you hop on gknova6.com you can tune the image!  Turn the knob on the right side of the television. It makes everything a lot clearer, and this seems to point to Fallout New Vegas. Awesome.

#256 Posted by Binman88 (3687 posts) -

Oh it's Fallout related? Kinda a letdown for me :(

#257 Posted by weegieanawrench (1939 posts) -

There's an image of a baseball diamond, and the next one shows what seems to be an atomic explosion occuring within the diamond. Anyone know what that might mean?

#258 Posted by Rebirth1337 (795 posts) -
@weegieanawrench said:
" HOLY FUCK. This is so weird. Also, found something cool. When you hop on gknova6.com you can tune the image! It makes everything a lot clearer, and this seems to point to Fallout New Vegas. Awesome. "
I did figure it was already know. My bad I can't sit on my ass all day.
#259 Posted by AaronReynolds (69 posts) -
@Binman88 said:
" Oh it's Fallout related? Kinda a letdown for me :( "
Same. Maybe it's promoting something awesome that happens in Vegas.
#260 Posted by Battsey (48 posts) -

This is obviously Giant Bomb: The Game

#261 Posted by Cross_Marian (30 posts) -

There is some sort of blinking light at the bottom-right of the TV. This could be some sort of Morse Code. I don' know how to read the Code but if anyone else out there can this could be an important clue.    

#262 Posted by august (3845 posts) -

If this isn't Fallout: New Vegas then someone is making a game that looks a whole hell of a lot like Fallout.

#263 Posted by Jedted (2360 posts) -

Oh god, this too much!  That mp3 sounds like some kind of alien transmition. 
 
I think i'm gonna go with the Fallout: NV theory cause that seems the most plausible. 
#264 Posted by pegasuswinks (84 posts) -

 Has anyone tried to write down the letters from gknova6? I don't have the fast hands but perhaps someone can try to write down the letters in two lines, one for the female voice and the other for the male voice and see if something can be obtained from that.    

#265 Posted by Leoplureodon (89 posts) -

Maybe the trumpet plays chords that spell something?

#266 Posted by nmcclana (5 posts) -

gknova6.com has a javascript include for Google Analytics (account  UA-6621671).  This account is also used on the following sites:
 www.bakugan-videogame.com  (UA-6621671-19)
www.herohq.com (UA-6621671-2)
www.thride.com (UA-6621671-16)
www.truecrime.com (UA-6621671-26)
www.uncaged.com (UA-6621671-2)
 
All games / sites associated to Activision, so I suspect the promotion has something to do with one of their games.

#267 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -
@nmcclana: an activision game? Well that would be a bummer. Bethesda self-publishes now so it couldnt be fallout realted then.
#268 Posted by nmcclana (5 posts) -
@Supermarius:  It might also just be a marketing agency that activision uses.  They could do marketing for another company, too. 
#269 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -
@nmcclana: a pr firm that makes args must be weird.
#270 Posted by munnyman5 (184 posts) -
@Tuggah said:
" This is so for Madden 2011. "
OF COURSE! A very astute observation!
#271 Posted by Chirag4 (585 posts) -

This has to be Persona 5 .
 
It definitely cannot be anything else.

#272 Posted by JonathanMoore (1858 posts) -

Well that was definitely strange to the ears.

#273 Posted by DiGiTaL_SiN (1789 posts) -

Dunno if someone figured this out yet, but the audio on the site says "Hell is purple", which points to www.purplehell.com which is a riddle solving site. Welcome to Purple Hell, your one stop shop for riddle tools and resources.

#274 Posted by Jensonb (1749 posts) -

#275 Posted by DjTann3r (214 posts) -

the blinking light has nothing to do with morse code. it is in a loop, but not in morse code. probably just for looks.

#276 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

New Vegas yaaaaaay

#277 Posted by ch3burashka (5072 posts) -

I was hoping for a video of this :(

#278 Posted by ShaunassNZ (2128 posts) -

Joystiq is on this too.

#279 Posted by ShaunassNZ (2128 posts) -
#280 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -

damn giantbomb ur teh smarts nice work guys.
#281 Posted by hellowill89 (24 posts) -

Hey I think everyone is WRONG! It sooooo clearly is COD7 Zombies. Just think about it.
#282 Posted by Killroycantkill (1406 posts) -

Using some of the comments ideas and listening to the audio in the website, I believe that "Hell is Purple" is hinting at Baconian Cipher or Purple Hell. This site is an automatci Baconian Cipher  http://www.purplehell.com/riddletools/bacon.htm. Though I didn't find or hear any 5 letter increments of A or B, but maybe if you do something with the letters in the MP3 file to make them into A's and B's then something could be done with it.

#283 Posted by randiolo (1091 posts) -

its got Fallout new Vegas all  over  it.. spinning nucleus, uranium bomb, JFK & Cuban missile crisis.. has to be 

#284 Posted by Zzzleepy (162 posts) -

  If it's Activision, couldn't it be an "Alternate Reality" game for COD by Treyarch? Would make sense, then they could muck about with any crazy scenario they'd like if the Cuban missile crisis actually went sour. Could make a rather cool setting for an almost Contemporary Conflict game, one might say.

#285 Posted by iamthemoneyj (123 posts) -

I can tell just by the sound of the radio whine that it's new vegas

#286 Posted by tehvanillabear (8 posts) -

How this could be anything other than Fallout: New Vegas amazes me.
Although it could all just seem too good, we saw nearly all of this in Fallout 3 (the bomb etc.)
It does seem quite odd though that they would be all mysterious about a game that has already been announced. If this is for New Vegas, I would've loved to have seen this months ago, creating a huge amount of hype.
 
Oh and by the way, another thing saying it is for New Vegas, what is one of Brad's most played games lately, if not most played? Fallout 3.
 
Case closed.

#287 Posted by ma_rc_01 (364 posts) -

Finally Science Papa 2!

#288 Posted by Frootsnax (73 posts) -
There is one other thing guys, we know the address came out of maryland (I live about 45 minutes from bethesda's offices) and bethesda is publishing a post apocalyptic game from ID called RAGE. If anyone was going to put out promotional material, what better publisher would you pick of yours to do a post apocalyptic game than bethesda? The stuff came out of maryland, but the people making new vegas are out in california. All of this NV hype could be a red herring,
#289 Posted by Bilawal (109 posts) -

Fallout Vegas isn't big enough to have this type of marketing, considering it's going to be an expansion. If it is then this is a disappointment. 

#290 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -
@nmcclana said:
" gknova6.com has a javascript include for Google Analytics (account  UA-6621671).  This account is also used on the following sites:  www.bakugan-videogame.com  (UA-6621671-19)www.herohq.com (UA-6621671-2)www.thride.com (UA-6621671-16)www.truecrime.com (UA-6621671-26)www.uncaged.com (UA-6621671-2)  All games / sites associated to Activision, so I suspect the promotion has something to do with one of their games. "
If this actually has to do with activision then I think is the new Treyarc COD game, cold war probably, or maybe alternate history cold war 
This stuff is way awesome btw, great work guys
#291 Edited by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

 Treyarc aint bright enough for ARGs like this, damn it!

#292 Posted by GrumpyTheDorf (64 posts) -
@Bilawal: The company is saying New Vegas is a brand new, full retail game
#293 Posted by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -
@randiolo said:
" its got Fallout new Vegas all  over  it.. spinning nucleus, uranium bomb, JFK & Cuban missile crisis.. has to be  "
fallout runs on an alternate timeline that diverged after WWII. No JFK OR Cuban missile crisis since it was the Chinese that we had the cold war with, not the russians.
#294 Posted by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -
@SPACETURTLE said:
"  Treyarc aint bright enough for ARGs like this, damn it! "
Treyarch has nothing to do with it. Activision covers the marketing as a publisher so this would be on them. 
CoD7 Cold War spec ops team seems actually really plausible. That or it's some previously unheard of nuclear apocalypse game, since they're so popular now.
#295 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -
@DystopiaX said:
" @SPACETURTLE said:
"  Treyarc aint bright enough for ARGs like this, damn it! "
Treyarch has nothing to do with it. Activision covers the marketing as a publisher so this would be on them. CoD7 Cold War spec ops team seems actually really plausible. That or it's some previously unheard of nuclear apocalypse game, since they're so popular now. "
Activision ain't bright enough for ARGs like this, damn it!
#296 Posted by Th3_James (2578 posts) -

LOL, I just finished making a ceasar cipher program for my computer science class. LMFAO thats too funny

#297 Posted by Skytylz (4033 posts) -
@SPACETURTLE said:
" @DystopiaX said:
" @SPACETURTLE said:
"  Treyarc aint bright enough for ARGs like this, damn it! "
Treyarch has nothing to do with it. Activision covers the marketing as a publisher so this would be on them. CoD7 Cold War spec ops team seems actually really plausible. That or it's some previously unheard of nuclear apocalypse game, since they're so popular now. "
Activision ain't bright enough for ARGs like this, damn it! "
What's with the Treyarch hate?
#298 Posted by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -
@Skytylz said:
" @SPACETURTLE said:
" @DystopiaX said:
" @SPACETURTLE said:
"  Treyarc aint bright enough for ARGs like this, damn it! "
Treyarch has nothing to do with it. Activision covers the marketing as a publisher so this would be on them. CoD7 Cold War spec ops team seems actually really plausible. That or it's some previously unheard of nuclear apocalypse game, since they're so popular now. "
Activision ain't bright enough for ARGs like this, damn it! "
What's with the Treyarch hate? "
and yet they have the best selling franchise ever...hmmm
#299 Edited by NickButler (1 posts) -
#300 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

I didn't solve anything cuz im not smart enough but after reading all the stuff about people trying to decode everything, I am extremely interested. Especially if what Joystiq is hinting at is true. ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.