Does Link in Twilight Princess count as ambidextrous?

#1 Posted by Bundle85 (149 posts) -

Because most Link is left handed in the Gamecube version, Nintendo mirrored the entire game to make him right handed in the Wii version. While technically not ambidextrous in either version, do you, the community, feel this unique situation qualifies him for this page?

#2 Posted by IBurningStar (2160 posts) -

If we say that Link is ambidextrous then we have to say that every other character in the game is as well. He was designed and programmed to be left handed, the Wii version just mirrored the world so that his sword would be in the right hand. IMO, Link is still left handed.

#3 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

I don't think this qualifies. There being a version of the game where he appears right-handed, and there being another version where he appears left-handed does not mean he's ambidextrous.

Moderator
#4 Posted by TooWalrus (13136 posts) -

Twilight Princes Wii is non-canon.

#5 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

Twilight Princes Wii is non-canon.

That's what I was about to say.

But let's say we consider both versions to somehow co-exist in the canon as alternate timelines or something. Then there's one version of Twilight Princess Link that's left-handed as God intended, and one version of Twilight Princess Link that's right-handed. Neither are ambidextrous.

#6 Posted by TooWalrus (13136 posts) -

@LordAndrew said:

@TooWalrus said:

Twilight Princes Wii is non-canon.

That's what I was about to say.

But let's say we consider both versions to somehow co-exist in the canon as alternate timelines or something. Then there's one version of Twilight Princess Link that's left-handed as God intended, and one version of Twilight Princess Link that's right-handed. Neither are ambidextrous.

Also true.

#7 Edited by MooseyMcMan (10473 posts) -

No. Skyward Sword Link is though, because he uses the sword right handed, but he uses the bow left handed.

#8 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

No. Skyward Sword Link is though, because he uses the sword right handed, but he uses the bow left handed.

That would be cross-dominance, or mixed-handedness. Ambidexterity is a type of cross-dominance, but not all cross-dominance is ambidexterity.

#9 Posted by StarvingGamer (7998 posts) -

No

Online
#10 Posted by TooWalrus (13136 posts) -
@LordAndrew

@MooseyMcMan said:

No. Skyward Sword Link is though, because he uses the sword right handed, but he uses the bow left handed.

That would be cross-dominance, or mixed-handedness. Ambidexterity is a type of cross-dominance, but not all cross-dominance is ambidexterity.

Indeed. I play golf left handed but write with my right hand. Doesn't mean I'm ambidextrous.
#11 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

Still don't know why they flipped the world to match link's hand.

#12 Edited by Superfriend (1526 posts) -

Gotta say, I recently replayed this on Wii and was really disoriented.

I had originally finished it on Gamecube and the mirrored content felt WEIRD!

On topic: I don´t think it qualifies.

#13 Edited by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@ImmortalSaiyan: Because just flipping his model would mess things up when he opened doors and such. The door would swing in the other direction from how he moved his hand. 
 
Same with other stuff he interacted with, the animation wouldn't properly sync up with the other actor. Rather than selectively reversing stuff they knew would cause problems and then playtesting to make sure everything looked right they just flipped everything, because then they didn't have to worry about it at all and could focus on testing other stuff in the Wii version.
#14 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@Jack268 said:

@ImmortalSaiyan: Because just flipping his model would mess things up when he opened
doors
and such. The door would swing in the other direction from how he moved his hand. Same with other stuff he interacted with, the animation wouldn't properly sync up with the other actor. Rather than selectively reversing stuff they knew would cause problems and then playtesting to make sure everything looked right they just flipped everything, because then they didn't have to worry about it at all and could focus on testing other stuff in the Wii version.

That makes sense. So it was a tech thing. Still weird that there are two versions of the game with different map layouts.

#15 Posted by Slag (4001 posts) -

@Bundle85 said:

Because most Link is left handed in the Gamecube version, Nintendo mirrored the entire game to make him right handed in the Wii version. While technically not ambidextrous in either version, do you, the community, feel this unique situation qualifies him for this page?

This world flipping s also why I'd say Link doesn't count as Ambidexterous.

Right handed Link 's world is flipped from Left landed Link. And Neither ever uses the opposite hand in either world.

#16 Posted by Levio (1783 posts) -

I still find it silly that Nintendo based Twilight Princess's geography entirely on Ocarina of Time's, then flipped TP's orientation so that they don't match at all.

#17 Posted by Bundle85 (149 posts) -

alright, so that is a no. Since there is only one game for this concept, can anyone think of any other characters that are ambidextrous? the only one I can think of is Darth Maul, and even that might be a stretch.

#18 Posted by Snail (8580 posts) -

@Bundle85 said:

alright, so that is a no. Since there is only one game for this concept, can anyone think of any other characters that are ambidextrous? the only one I can think of is Darth Maul, and even that might be a stretch.

I can think of at least one game that asked players whether they are left-handed or right-handed, but I guess that doesn't fit into this page at all. Yeah this is a tough one.

#19 Posted by Snail (8580 posts) -

How about Starkiller in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2? He dual-wields lightsabers. Though I suppose that if we just populate this page with examples like this one, it'll eventually just become a duplicate of Dual Wielding. I'm not necessarily saying that this example shouldn't be in that page, but I think we either have to include some examples that don't simply involve dual-wielding weapons or maybe not include those at all.

#20 Posted by 49th (2691 posts) -

That was bullshit I'm left handed. Fuck Nintendo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.