Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ambidexterity

Concept »

The state of being able to use both hands with equal efficiency.

Does Link in Twilight Princess count as ambidextrous?

bundle85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

#1  Edited By bundle85

Because most Link is left handed in the Gamecube version, Nintendo mirrored the entire game to make him right handed in the Wii version. While technically not ambidextrous in either version, do you, the community, feel this unique situation qualifies him for this page?

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By IBurningStar

If we say that Link is ambidextrous then we have to say that every other character in the game is as well. He was designed and programmed to be left handed, the Wii version just mirrored the world so that his sword would be in the right hand. IMO, Link is still left handed.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I don't think this qualifies. There being a version of the game where he appears right-handed, and there being another version where he appears left-handed does not mean he's ambidextrous.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus

Twilight Princes Wii is non-canon.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#5  Edited By LordAndrew

@TooWalrus said:

That's what I was about to say.

But let's say we consider both versions to somehow co-exist in the canon as alternate timelines or something. Then there's one version of Twilight Princess Link that's left-handed as God intended, and one version of Twilight Princess Link that's right-handed. Neither are ambidextrous.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By toowalrus

@LordAndrew said:

@TooWalrus said:

That's what I was about to say.

But let's say we consider both versions to somehow co-exist in the canon as alternate timelines or something. Then there's one version of Twilight Princess Link that's left-handed as God intended, and one version of Twilight Princess Link that's right-handed. Neither are ambidextrous.

Also true.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By MooseyMcMan

No. Skyward Sword Link is though, because he uses the sword right handed, but he uses the bow left handed.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#8  Edited By LordAndrew

@MooseyMcMan said:

No. Skyward Sword Link is though, because he uses the sword right handed, but he uses the bow left handed.

That would be cross-dominance, or mixed-handedness. Ambidexterity is a type of cross-dominance, but not all cross-dominance is ambidexterity.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#9  Edited By StarvingGamer

No

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By toowalrus
    @LordAndrew

@MooseyMcMan said:

That would be cross-dominance, or mixed-handedness. Ambidexterity is a type of cross-dominance, but not all cross-dominance is ambidexterity.

Indeed. I play golf left handed but write with my right hand. Doesn't mean I'm ambidextrous.
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Still don't know why they flipped the world to match link's hand.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By superfriend

Gotta say, I recently replayed this on Wii and was really disoriented.

I had originally finished it on Gamecube and the mirrored content felt WEIRD!

On topic: I don´t think it qualifies.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jack268
    @ImmortalSaiyan: Because just flipping his model would mess things up when he opened doors and such. The door would swing in the other direction from how he moved his hand. 

Same with other stuff he interacted with, the animation wouldn't properly sync up with the other actor. Rather than selectively reversing stuff they knew would cause problems and then playtesting to make sure everything looked right they just flipped everything, because then they didn't have to worry about it at all and could focus on testing other stuff in the Wii version.
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Jack268 said:

@ImmortalSaiyan: Because just flipping his model would mess things up when he opened
    doors
    and such. The door would swing in the other direction from how he moved his hand. Same with other stuff he interacted with, the animation wouldn't properly sync up with the other actor. Rather than selectively reversing stuff they knew would cause problems and then playtesting to make sure everything looked right they just flipped everything, because then they didn't have to worry about it at all and could focus on testing other stuff in the Wii version.

That makes sense. So it was a tech thing. Still weird that there are two versions of the game with different map layouts.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#15  Edited By Slag

@Bundle85 said:

Because most Link is left handed in the Gamecube version, Nintendo mirrored the entire game to make him right handed in the Wii version. While technically not ambidextrous in either version, do you, the community, feel this unique situation qualifies him for this page?

This world flipping s also why I'd say Link doesn't count as Ambidexterous.

Right handed Link 's world is flipped from Left landed Link. And Neither ever uses the opposite hand in either world.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16  Edited By Levio

I still find it silly that Nintendo based Twilight Princess's geography entirely on Ocarina of Time's, then flipped TP's orientation so that they don't match at all.

bundle85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#17  Edited By bundle85

alright, so that is a no. Since there is only one game for this concept, can anyone think of any other characters that are ambidextrous? the only one I can think of is Darth Maul, and even that might be a stretch.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Snail

@Bundle85 said:

alright, so that is a no. Since there is only one game for this concept, can anyone think of any other characters that are ambidextrous? the only one I can think of is Darth Maul, and even that might be a stretch.

I can think of at least one game that asked players whether they are left-handed or right-handed, but I guess that doesn't fit into this page at all. Yeah this is a tough one.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Snail

How about Starkiller in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2? He dual-wields lightsabers. Though I suppose that if we just populate this page with examples like this one, it'll eventually just become a duplicate of Dual Wielding. I'm not necessarily saying that this example shouldn't be in that page, but I think we either have to include some examples that don't simply involve dual-wielding weapons or maybe not include those at all.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By 49th

That was bullshit I'm left handed. Fuck Nintendo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.