Anyone played this game?

#1 Posted by LittleBigJono (252 posts) -

So has anyone played American McGee's Alice?
I saw a few vids for Alice: Madness Returns and I wouldn't mind playing it.
I was just wondering if I should bother playing the first one or not (I think it was made in 2000?).
So if anyone has played the first one feel free to leave recommendations and whatnot.

#2 Posted by hanktherapper (378 posts) -

Many people love it. I could never get into it no matter how many times I tried. It does have an interesting look and very moody.

#3 Posted by Zidd (1842 posts) -

If it came to a download service I would buy it but its not available.

#4 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -

I'm just watching a walkthrough in preparation for the new game. 

Click Here

#5 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5820 posts) -

I'm sure someone has.

#6 Posted by Truitt (92 posts) -

Played it all the way through. If you are looking for some cool level design and beautiful artistry, then you've got your game. The gameplay, however, isn't all that good.

#7 Posted by LittleBigJono (252 posts) -
@X19: ta
#8 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5231 posts) -

I heard that it costs a lot now.

#9 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -
@Truitt said:
" Played it all the way through. If you are looking for some cool level design and beautiful artistry, then you've got your game. The gameplay, however, isn't all that good. "
It's been about 10 years since I played it, but this is how I remember the game.

I had a roommate in 2006 or so who got it into his head that he wanted to try it out. I watched him play a bit and both he and I had enough after 45 minutes or so. If you do decide to play it, there's a tutorial here to get it to display properly on a widescreen display.
#10 Posted by Morien (160 posts) -

Yeah I played it back when it came out. Was a cool atmosphere and interesting take on the classic story, sort of like Tim Burton's movie but quite a bit darker. I just remember liking the characters (good voice work) and the level design, but I think 
I got frustrated with the platforming elements.

#11 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -

I remember seeing it on store shelves.

#12 Posted by Cheesebob (1236 posts) -

I wish I could find it at a good price somewhere. £15 isn't worth it.

#13 Edited by atomic_dumpling (2470 posts) -

I played the demo version back in the day and it was pretty fucked up - I remember running around as a somewhat demented Alice wielding a huge ass knife.

#14 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -

I played through it at the time. I can barely remember the game itself but I do remember enjoying the designs and the narrative stuff, not so much the combat, which was bad. I suspect it would be quite dated now, expectations for action-adventure games are much higher.

#15 Posted by Deeveeus (479 posts) -
@Truitt said:
" Played it all the way through. If you are looking for some cool level design and beautiful artistry, then you've got your game. The gameplay, however, isn't all that good. "
Thats how I felt, the game play i just could not get around.
#16 Edited by Errordotocx (119 posts) -

I bought the game when it first came out, but it sat unplayed in a box of my old games for nine years. In 2009 I dug it out after a random dream and played through the entire game. I can't really disagree about some of the gameplay stuff, but I instantly became pulled in with the mood the game set with all the twisted, demented, dark and fucked up things it presented. If I remember right, the story was alright as well. I'm a person that isn't easily put off by some bad notes within games, as I enjoy nearly every game I play, so I thoroughly enjoyed it. So if you can let a few things slide in favor of the others, than go for it. I'm glad I got to experience it, even if it was nine years later.

#17 Posted by awesomeusername (4175 posts) -
@Errordotocx said:
" as I enjoy nearly every game I play, 
You sir, are a good gamer.
#18 Posted by EveretteScott (1465 posts) -
@Truitt said:
That being said, it's still one of my favorite games.
#19 Posted by awesomeusername (4175 posts) -
@X19: 

O_O

#20 Posted by AceBlack19 (111 posts) -

I actually just started playing it again- installed it not even three days ago. The voice acting and artistic design choices are still well worth playing the game for. The combat hasn't aged well, but its still functional. The level design feels a lot more... "padded" then I remember. 

Still, I think its well worth experiencing. I've heard rumors the original will be released on Steam around the time Madness Returns comes out, but you know... its a rumor. I don't put much stock in it.

#21 Edited by Errordotocx (119 posts) -
@AceBlack19:  Same here. After watching Brads interview with American, and talking with a few people the forums about the game, I decided to dig out my copy and play again. I can agree with what you have said about the game, as the combat is really the weak point here. The game can be pretty difficult on hard as I am finding out, by the way I hate fighting those flying Boojum enemies.

Also, for anyone that cares, during this playthrough I have decided to Fraps, edit, and upload my gameplay to YouTube. Still being new to this, i'm still on the fence about adding voice commentary to games because i'm not sure if my voice suits it well enough, so there is no voice commentary. I also decided to add no text commentary either because I believe it will distract from the atmosphere from the game. But i'm recording in 720p and am trying to edit as best as I can for a seamless and enjoyable watch. Sorry for the plug, hopefully you all understand that I really just want to get others excited for the new release. Enjoy. :)
 [ American McGee's Alice - Full Playthrough ]

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.