Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

American McGee's Alice

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 06, 2000

American McGee's Alice is a pseudo-sequel to Lewis Carroll's classic. Alice, scarred by a horrific childhood trauma, must return to a dark, nightmarish version of Wonderland. Alice must restore its former harmony by defeating the Queen of Hearts in order to vanquish her own inner demons.

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland: Riding American's Coattails?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

I don't know how many of you folks ever actually played American McGee's dark sequel to the world of Lewis Carroll, but I remember plugging this in and laughing at how ridiculous the system requirements were for it.  Meanwhile, the game served as being a unique "shooting" game in a time where FPS and third-person shooters weren't necessarily the norm in gaming.

As many of you may ALSO know, I have a strong hatred for almost everything that Tim Burton directs.  Besides Ed Wood and Big Fish, I just don't dig a lot of the things that he makes.  Maybe it's the Goth style that he injects into everything, or maybe it's the fact that I also don't really care for Johnny Depp.  It's all personal preference, honestly.

Well, this article over at /Film has some interesting details (as well as full body pictures of Alice, Mad Hatter, and The Queen) that leave me both disturbed and intrigued.  Apparently, Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland...and stop me if you've heard this one before...is a SEQUEL to an amalgamation of the 1951 Disney movie as well as the novel...where Alice returns to Wonderland 10 years later...and all the denizens there are revolting and a bit more twisted than they were before!!!

Here's the thing:  while it seems like Burton is ripping off general ideas that have already been in existence for a while, including McGee's, I'm ACTUALLY INTERESTED in seeing the movie now.  Maybe it's the fact that it'll be in 3D.  Maybe it's also the fact that there is COLOR in this fucking movie!!!  Then again, I remember the last two times that Burton adapted something:  Planet of the Apes and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...which I hated both of those.  Nonetheless, he also adapted Big Fish, which I found to be breathtakingly excellent.

What say you, folks?  Obviously, the Burton and Depp fanboys will show up with their hardcore boners to jack off their love into the eyes of decent cinema, but if you folks can hold your fanboyish ways back for a second, I'm curious about a true in-depth discussion about this.

With the Alice movie that was originally supposed to be made by Wes Craven then passed on to Marcus Nispel and now sits in production limbo and/or Hell with the chances of never being released, is this the closest we could get to a big screen "adaptation" of some form of material from this game?  Also, I'm curious to see if Burton took any influence from the game at all...especially since Christopher Lee is apparently playing the role of the Jabberwocky...which was a particularly memorable scene in the game...as well as the book.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By c1337us

If no for other reason I wont go see this because its in 3D so its a gaurentee that I wont go. My eyes are fucked in such a way that the 3D effect doesnt work for me and I find I can't stand watching a movie made for 3D without actually being able to see it that way.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jakob187
    @c1337us said:
    " If no for other reason I wont go see this because its in 3D so its a gaurentee that I wont go. My eyes are fucked in such a way that the 3D effect doesnt work for me and I find I can't stand watching a movie made for 3D without actually being able to see it that way. "
    Just the fact that you were talking about 3D right now...that made my eyes go all wonky.  The only movie I've seen in theatres since this new 3D craze hit was Up, and that was cool in 3D and whatnot...but I could definitely do without the eye strain again.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

Creepy, he 1upped American McGee!

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Systech

All I can say is that it just looks so stupid and so wrong. I am also very tired of Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter being the main characters in his films.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By CowMuffins
    @c1337us: Protip: Use the glasses.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jakob187
    @Al3xand3r: We haven't seen the movie yet, so there's no way of telling whether he "1upped" McGee or not...but his movie is getting released, regardless.

I used to talk with American on a regular basis over e-mails, and we were always chatting about the movies for Alice and the Oz trilogy (in case no one ever knew, American was working on having the Oz trilogy turned into movies the PROPER way, but that won't see the light of day...apparently, the world likes thinking that Dorothy had RED slippers...the fuckstains).  With Marcus Nispel, it seemed like things were really getting underway...but then they hit some big snags with how to make the movie, and it just never went further.  From what I know, though, Alice has never been cancelled as a movie project.  It's just stuck somewhere, but it's the kind of movie I've wanted to see made FOREVER now: a horror telling of a classic children's story.  When Wes Craven was going to do it as a CGI film, that seemed rather promising...but then he decided to make Red Eye.  /facepalm

Enough history lesson.  It just seems like Burton is trying to take the claim for this "reimagining", as I'm sure he'll call it.  Unfortunately, it's not his to claim, as the idea has been there for AGES, even in Carroll's own Through The Looking Glass to some extent...
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

I was reffering to the creepy game, I didn't even know American had director aspirations, hur.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jakob187
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

Cool, hope it's better than the first. And his last effort, Grimm...

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By c1337us
    @CowMuffins: 3D movies have glasses now?
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jakob187
    @Al3xand3r: That's another funny thing - I've enjoyed almost all of McGee's games.  I loved Alice, thought Grimm was pretty cool, and I even enjoyed Scrapland.  With that said, I can say that they weren't the greatest in the area of gameplay, where the game truly matters...but they weren't horribly broken, either.  Rather, they were mediocre games with excellent story ideas behind them.

Bad Day L.A., on the other hand, was a head-scratcher for me.  On one side, I loved the controversy it stirred up and the questions it made the player ask themselves (and if you didn't ask yourself questions, then you are part of the problem in the world)...but the game was just BAD!
    Themanohall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Themanohall

I think this movie looks horrible. Just judging off the character models, it looks like an artistic clone of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which I despised.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r

Character models? oO

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By dsplayer1010

I don't see the need to remake it.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By c1337us
    @jakob187: This only highlights the fact that I have been completely negligent in playing this game. I might have to pick up that copy thats been sitting at the Cashies were I get my car serviced if its still there. Its definately one of those always wanted to but havent got around to it titles for me. Dont want the new one to come out after all this time without having at least tried the original.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @jakob187 said:
    " @c1337us said:
    " If no for other reason I wont go see this because its in 3D so its a gaurentee that I wont go. My eyes are fucked in such a way that the 3D effect doesnt work for me and I find I can't stand watching a movie made for 3D without actually being able to see it that way. "
    Just the fact that you were talking about 3D right now...that made my eyes go all wonky.  The only movie I've seen in theatres since this new 3D craze hit was Up, and that was cool in 3D and whatnot...but I could definitely do without the eye strain again. "
    Im sure you can see it in plain old 2D. Which will be how I see the movie. If I do see it that is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.