Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

America's Army 3

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jun 17, 2009

America's Army 3.0 is the latest version of the America's Army franchise and has stepped the game into the next level with the utilization of the Unreal Engine 3 and the addition of new maps, weapons and achievement system.

Whos getting this?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

Seeing as it is free, everyone should at least try it i suppose, but im nervous, Is it the kind of game that only truly hardcore players would enjoy?

I've never played any of the other games in the series and i assume COD4 is alot different then this. ( And no, i dont think COD 4 is realistic, so shutup about that and stop assuming things.)

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheMustacheHero

You don't have to join the marines...It's nothing like COD4, if you think COD4 is realistic you are sadly mistaken.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By torus

Like America's Army 2.0, it will be purely a propaganda vehicle for (you guessed it) the US Army. The first game would have been halfway decent were it not for some horrendous design decisions, and the general vibe I got from it. Some of the training missions were pretty ludicrous; for example, one mission (maybe for medic training?) required the player to literally walk into an in-game army barracks, sit down at a virtual desk, listen to a virtual lecture, then take a multiple choice test at said desk. WTF?

The game has this weird pretense of realism- all these details that one would think would make a game more immersive... but then it leaves out entirely the psychological aspect of war. In the game, you are quite weak- a few bullets will kill you. But, there is barely any blood in the game. It feels strangely sanitized, and when that is coupled with the fact that it is a propaganda vehicle for recruitment, I couldn't help feeling like the game was profoundly deceitful.

Then again, if you just want to kill some dudes in a semi-realistic way, for free, courtesy of the US Army, and can put up with some needless bullshit, you might like it.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @torus: I remember that Medic test! Good times...not really. I hated the second one because you had to go through ALL training before doing anything else.
    Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Out_On_Bail
    @Mikemcn said:
     Also i hope i dont have to join the marines if i play this.... "
    America's Army has nothing to do with Marines.. maybe I missed the  joke or something

I only played the first one briefly, it just wasn't my cup of tea.  But for free you can't really go wrong.  It won't hurt to give it a shot, and if your hardcore you can just revert back to whatever other game fits your fancy.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond

I liked America's Army when it was new.  First ever Unreal Engine 2 game, pretty nice playing.

I checked it out again about a year ago or so, it was a clunky mess and looked horrible.

Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Not_Rage

Can't wait, havn't played in a while. Will SF Hospital be in AA 3.0? 

It would be pretty cool if Giant Bomb reviewed this game, although they don't review free games. Maybe a quicklook?  Less and less people have been playing AA, it could use the coverage. 
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I didn't think much of the previous America's Army but I suppose as its free I might as well give it a try. I'm not expecting much out of it though.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By PureRok

I'm in the Beta. The medical training is much more easier, and more involved (there are dummies).

Edit: I could record it and show you. The weapon training is mostly unchanged.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Lunarbunny

I'm pre-loading it as we speak (http://store.steampowered.com/app/13140/). I somewhat enjoyed the original, and some of the elements the video previews have shown look like I'll like it even more. We'll just have to see.

I just hope they did something to kill dropshots. One of the main things that turned me off the competitive portion of the game.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Absurd

I will be trying ;) I preloaded it already. I came by it by chance, I haven't played AA for a very very long time.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By asurastrike

America's Army Propaganda 3.0

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lunarbunny
    @Asurastrike: Of course it's propaganda. You can take that message with a grain of salt and just play the game, though.
    dwakley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dwakley

I have it preloaded, we should get a group going when it drops.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JoelTGM

It's unlocking in a little over a half hour from now.  I hope it's good.  The beta had some performance issues when playing online, so hopefully they've fixed that.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r

I liked the last version but from what I've seen of the beta this new one won't be much improved. I have it preloaded, but at the very least it's going to be very limited compared to the last one, at least to begin with. I'm sure they'll keep updating it and make it very good at some point, I'm just not sure it's going to be very good from the start. Also, don't expect a huge graphical leap, it seems to reuse a lot of the content (or it happens to be content of similar quality) despite using Unreal Engine 3 now. Perhaps they'll improve that over time as well. Anyway, I liked the core gameplay, I'm sure I'll have at least a little fun with it even if I put it down and wait for a future, better version in the end. Thanks for funding this US doods :P

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Jeffsekai

I will get it because its free.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Drebin_893
    @Mikemcn said:
    " Seeing as it is free, everyone should at least try it i suppose, but im nervous, Is it the kind of game that only truly hardcore players would enjoy?
    I've never played any of the other games in the series and i assume COD4 is alot different then this. Also i hope i dont have to join the marines if i play this.... "
    I hope you don't actually think CoD4 is realistic.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Al3xand3r

Played for a while, I was right to think the visuals aren't vastly improved, or they seem that way as I haven't played in a while, but they're certainly adequate. I really like what they've done with the controls though, I can see myself playing this a lot. The weapons feel right, their iron sights are great, I like how you change the range for the grenade launcher with the mouse wheel, I like how you can slide during a sprint, etc. It feels very solid overall. There's room for improvement in everything but hey, it's free. The medic seems more involved and quite cool too. Great first release.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lowbrow

I just went through a bit... anyone see that the training is fucked up? as in you cant pass training missions when you should?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Al3xand3r

Nope, passed them all on first try except medic as I clumsily skipped the talky bits with the space bar which is also like a "use" button...

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NickL

its gonna have steam achievements and its free, so it is definitely worth a try

G0rd0nFr33m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By G0rd0nFr33m4n

I just played throught it for a bit, steam achievmeents are fucked and the game is forgeting that I completed the marksmenship and basic training 4 times already, fucking army cant do anything right, enjoy :D

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#24  Edited By meptron

I played the first one briefly. I seem to remember failing a training mission because I tried to shoot my commanding officer in the face...

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I played AA ages ago (it might have been 2, or even 1, I can't remember) and I really didn't enjoy it, so I won't be checking this out. The steam achievements are tempting, but I'm not going to play a game I don't like just for achievies.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lowbrow

Yea, It messed up while I was running through training - didnt give me pass for the general obstacle course or the rifle range... dammit.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Shadow

I'm probably going to get Halo ODST.  That's the same thing, right?

SlowHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By SlowHands
    @Shadow: Well, it's still all "Hoorah, America is the best!."  So, yes.  Exactly the same.
    Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lunarbunny

Servers appear to have been totally overloaded...hopefully it will cool down soon enough that people still care.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mikemcn

Argh, my steam thing is taking forever to verify the game files, i want to try this HURRY UP INTERNET

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NickL

i get to the "loading mission" screen when i try to start training and it freezes there, honestly dont care enough about this game to figure out whats wrong so i guess i wont be trying it after all

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pazy

Im having so many problems with it like having the wrong password (even after I used "forget password" and get a new randomly generated one :|) so I had to make a new account. it keeps showing me code for what looks like an acheivment-like system instead of whatever it mean to be showing  and when I completed marksman training it kept trying to update for 45 minutes :|

Ill try again tommorow/at the weekend hoping the servers will be a bit calmer.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

Man this game is completely broken.  I've tried playing through basic like 6 times now, its only loaded twice, the first time i couldnt go prone and the second time it loaded the weapons range instead.  Thats after I took half hour creating an account.  I'm just glad it's not just me because it looks pretty cool for a free game.  I completely skipped AA2

Scieran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Scieran
    @Mikemcn said:
    " Seeing as it is free, everyone should at least try it i suppose, but im nervous, Is it the kind of game that only truly hardcore players would enjoy?
    I've never played any of the other games in the series and i assume COD4 is alot different then this. Also i hope i dont have to join the marines if i play this.... "
    Exactley the example of someone not using their brain. Just another brainwashed human being that may eventually serve as a tool for the military.
    eternalmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By eternalmatt

I'm downloading it right now at a snail's pace. I'm extremely surprised they're not implementing BitTorrent for this like they did with America's Army 2.0 and the updates. With the beauty of BitTorrent, the more people downloading a file, the faster average speed.  It would really help their servers with a 3.24 GB game.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lowbrow

Either way the games authentication servers are totally down, training doesnt reigster any scoring right now.

Also, the entire development team was fired launch day.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mikemcn

Every time i click on a server to join, the game freezes, not sure what thats about......

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Absurd

This was one of the worst launches I've been a part of :\

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mikemcn
    @Absurd:
    How come?
    Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Absurd
    @Mikemcn said:
    " @Absurd: How come? "
    • The game is buggy (almost unplayable)
    • The preload wasn't truly a preload since you had to download another 1.5 GB
    • the Auth servers wouldn't record your training.
    • There was only around 20 servers at launch and thousands were trying to play

I'm hoping they'll release an update soon.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @Mikemcn said:
    I've never played any of the other games in the series and i assume COD4 is alot different then this. ( And no, i dont think COD 4 is realistic, so shutup about that and stop assuming things.) "
    woah calm down mister defensive paranoid. 

anyways, what are the specs for this game. will my crappy pc play it?
    Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Babble
    Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lowbrow
    @TwoOneFive:

Seriously,until they actually patch the thing, I have no idea what this game even looks like when its running properly.

The Auth servers are down, they've fired the Dev team, and are moving the whole operation to another location.

Give it a bit of time.
    Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Absurd
    dwakley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By dwakley

For whats its worth, the gun controls feel tight and I really like the mechanic on the grenade launcher. Tonight we might be setting up our own server, let me know if you want to join.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mikemcn
    @dwakley:
    I havent gotten a single game to run, i got as far as the weapon select screen  and then i didnt know how to spawn in and that was the farthest i have ever gotten, anyways, i might if i could get it working lo
    dwakley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By dwakley

I ran a few games and I was unimpressed. Its still very buggy and the matches are not intuitive at all. they last about 30 to 40 secs each. Its a Mil sim for sure but I'm just not convinced it worth the time or effort. We may try it out again tonight if you want drop me a line and you can run with us.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yeah, I only managed to get a sngle game going, any new attempt just returns me to the main menu. It also still hasn't given me all my achievements despite the patch and that I re-did them. For example I got a perfect score in that final basic training bit with the target course, but I still don't have the ribbon, yet I got the other achivement (I forget which, the profile of a gun is its icon) during that. I'm leaving it on my PC until it gets better though. AA2 is currently more feature complete and stable and therefor better, but I do like the enhancements I've seen for 3 in the different shooting and movement mechanics. It's just not quite solid yet. Hopefully it will get better soon enough, though with all that development trouble it may just not improve, we'll have to wait and see. Other issues are the performance and the visuals. Unreal Engine 3 is nothing without good assets, and this game still looks like it's running on 2.5. Not even the lighting is really improved. Yet it doesn't run so hot either, even though I can run the actual UT3 flawlessly with maxed settings.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.