Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Amiga Corporation

Company »

The Amiga Corporation was a company primarily known for releasing the Amiga line of computers.

Was this the biggest casualty of Piracy

matttty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By matttty

I remember everyone i knew had like 100 games, non of them paid for. What do you think? I never owned one but i remember it the Amiga folding.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By OmegaPirate

I have an Amiga 600 -and i swear i have a massive box of disks, i mean, thousands and none of them are paid for original, all blank 3 1/2 floppys lovingly dedicated by an anonymous donor

Amiga got raped but man as a kid i loved that machine
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Yeah, I had an amiga as a kid, and although I had quite a few legit games, I had far more pirated games. I didn't even realize at the time.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By StaticFalconar

No, the dreamcast was.

The dreamcast was the easy victom of piracy since it was released during a time when more people had the internet, and a simple disc swap made it so you can play all the game you wanted.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By turbomonkey138

I didnt pay for a game once when i had a amiga .... damn if id of known that this would fuck the company up :(

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Alex_Murphy
    StaticFalconar said:
    "No, the dreamcast was. The dreamcast was the easy victom of piracy since it was released during a time when more people had the internet, and a simple disc swap made it so you can play all the game you wanted."
    Yea piracy killed the dreamcast because you didn't need a mod chip or any kind of modification and CD burners were becoming common. At the end of the dreamcast's life cycle they released a new version that couldn't read CD's but it was too late by that point.
    Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Alex_V

Hard to answer.

But presumably piracy didn't harm Commodore itself, because nobody pirated the actual machine, which was what they sold. You could argue that they sold a lot more units because of piracy, rather than the opposite.

It was a very successful computer, it seems to me. Only died out when PCs clearly started to beat it in terms of technology. Possibly killed by the CD drive alone.

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HazBazz

yeah, i dont think any of my amiga games were legit

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.